Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FYI on AA Performance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Ordered and received a 215mm flywheel from AA Performance (kokoparts) appeared well made but checked and found the flywheel bolt holes were rather crudely drilled and their deburring of the holes left a bit to be desired,raised edges which would have an impact on how it mates to the flywheel,easy enough to clean up but WTF.gif .
Kinda normal for Chinese stuff ,no attention to final detail,didn't see any balancing marks....not sure about that dry.gif .
Overall not a bad part and @ 159 notes pretty good ,for folks that don't know what they are buying may have a bad experience however.
Click to view attachment
Tbrown4x4
No locating dowels for the pressure plate either.
Superhawk996
Come on $159? Think about the material, labor, Trans-Pacific shipping, and distribution costs. It's a miracle of global trade.

That is an amazing price for a "precision" machined hunk of steel.

I agree with you on the lack of detail from China stuff especially when you're working around these kinds of low prices, but, honestly, just like Harbor Freight you just have to expect certain things at that price point.

Thanks for the heads up though! It is interesting to see what is out there.
IronHillRestorations
The missing dowel pin holes and poor machining are indicators of lack of detail, that could also mean lack of harmonic balance, which you won't find out until it kills your bearings and crankshaft
IronHillRestorations
The missing dowel pin holes and poor machining are indicators of lack of detail, that could also mean lack of harmonic balance, which you won't find out until it kills your bearings and crankshaft
Superhawk996
agree.gif

But, ideally you'd dynamically balance the whole assembly (flywheel, pressure plate, crank, and fan) if doing an engine build so maybe not a show stopper. Could pin the pressure plate at that point.

Certainly not plug and play as it stands for a straight up flywheel swap as part of a clutch job or something. Could also just have Flywheel and pressure plate balanced (and pinned) as components but that will obviously offset the "savings" gained via the AAP flywheel.

914Sixer
Not acceptable as far as I am concerned. Would be going back.
rjames
I bought a flywheel from Pelican a few years back as part of a clutch install. No issues with it. You may want to check with them, although it’s possible that they may be using the same supplier.
jsaum
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 20 2019, 04:40 AM) *

Yes I believe it will kill your engine if you don't have it checked for balance. I traded parts for a new fly wheel someone else bought and had it come loose and wipe out my engine. I can't say it was purchased from this supplier but I would caution you to make sure your assembly is balanced.
Jsaum
porschetub
Yes noticed the dowels missing,will be getting it balanced for sure,drilling for the dowels will upset balance for starters,will be interesting to see how far it is out.
Know a local turbocharger shop that can balance it for me,yes they could have done better,strange how so many sellers have to perfect these parts to a better standard before resale,carbs ,cylinder kits and heads come to mind.
Thanks for the comments.
Mark Henry
I used a german flywheel from pelican purchased 10 years ago, it also had no balance marks. I had the whole assembly balanced and the shop said the fly was spot on.

porschetub
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 21 2019, 09:08 AM) *

I used a german flywheel from pelican purchased 10 years ago, it also had no balance marks. I had the whole assembly balanced and the shop said the fly was spot on.

agree.gif I machined down a T1 flywheel and had it checked,flywheel was ok but the pressure plate needed work.
Just looked @ my L-jet bus 210mm flywheel and has no locating dowels but has 3 rather large drilling for balance.
End of the day this motor is for someone else not worth just leaving it like it is,just not right.
raynekat
What expressions come to mind?
1) You get what you pay for....
2) No such thing as a free lunch.

Just no way you're going to get a brand new high quality flywheel for $159.
Mark Henry
Are you 100% sure it's for a 914?
Bus also used a 215mm fly for a few years but they're not the same IIRC.

I doubt if it's that bad, install the dowels and get the whole assembly balanced. Ask the machinist to check the fly for runout.

One oddball on the german fly I got from pelican was the crank locator single dowel pin wasn't drilled, but the PP dowels were.
porschetub
Yes Mark you are right,I seem to remember the bus flywheel went 215mm when the 1.8 motor was introduced.
UPDATE ……
Contacted AAP and received a prompt reply saying the flywheels are balanced to 1 gram,found them very helpful.
When the pressure plate arrives I will get it checked anyway.
1adam12
Jonathan at AAP owns a 914 and is super helpful. I'm doing a 2.2 build with some of their parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.