Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Wiring Reference photos
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Hi everyone. If you've seen my project thread, you'll notice that this is my current headache.

Looking for any reference photos of the nice 'loom' or 'routing' of the wiring harness as it comes out of the center tunnel, to the fuse-board, then behind the dash. Also, any tips / pointers to getting this to fit nicely, or any vendors you've worked with, would be greatly appreciated!

A little preview of the headache I've had over the last few years.

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
A colored wiring chart will help; they have been available on this site in PDF formats. I used a laminated set and find them the best.
First: are the ends of the wires hooked mum; ie, the headlights, taillights, etc. This should be #1
If I were dealing with the wires in the picture wires; I would sort and separate them by where they go first. The wires to the gauges, wires to switches, wires to the fuse panel. Then untangle so each group can reach its destination unimpeded.When the group to the fuse panel looks right, zip tie that group to keep them together; then start at the fuse panel.
Then do the switches, one at a time, making sure the switch will perform ts designated function before going on to the next one.
Lastly, the gauges, pretty straight forward.

It may take longer than you think, but it will work out..... smile.gif
mepstein
agree.gif
I would buy the wire chart from Prospero’s garage. They are sold on amazon, eBay or direct. $20-25. They are colored and detailed enough for even me to understand.

I’ll be home over the weekend and can take specific pics if you want to see how each wire bundle is routed. I think once you sort and group the wires it will start making sense.

Buy a pack of plastic wire labels. They work better than masking tape.
RiqueMar

wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

This is driving me insane.
JeffBowlsby
Is this a new custom harness or did you just remove the tape?
Larmo63
This looks like a wiring nightmare. Are you doing a Subaru install here?

A regular 914 /4 or /6 isn't THAT complicated. Even an idiot like me can do those.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 21 2019, 06:23 PM) *

Is this a new custom harness or did you just remove the tape?

Original harness (1970/4cyl), with the tape and 'routing' removed. Should have never done it.

Jeff, is this something you provide or can work on? Just saw your site, PMing / emailing you now.

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 21 2019, 07:53 PM) *

This looks like a wiring nightmare. Are you doing a Subaru install here?

A regular 914 /4 or /6 isn't THAT complicated. Even an idiot like me can do those.

3.6 conversion, however, this being my first conversion, I made the mistake of undoing / removing the routing of the harness years ago. By all means, you're welcome to come try, bring zip-ties! tongue.gif
JeffBowlsby
Not something I can help you with at this point RM, other than sideline encouragement.

Just collect the wires in their routing and temporarily tie them with bread bag wrapper ties or similar, then when it all makes sense, install the spiral tape again.
ndfrigi
I’m not sure if these pictures can help you. Been saving them whenever I see some members share their projects. Some came from Jeffrey’s 73 project. I will be dealing with my wiring also soon for my 74 project.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

RiqueMar
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 21 2019, 11:38 PM) *

Not something I can help you with at this point RM, other than sideline encouragement.

Just collect the wires in their routing and temporarily tie them with bread bag wrapper ties or similar, then when it all makes sense, install the spiral tape again.

sad.gif I was hoping you had a solution. Oh well, back to it!

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Aug 21 2019, 11:47 PM) *

I’m not sure if these pictures can help you. Been saving them whenever I see some members share their projects. Some came from Jeffrey’s 73 project. I will be dealing with my wiring also soon for my 74 project.

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the photos, this helps. Any information on the photo labeled 'Kroon Harness'? Is this some sort of replacement?
defianty
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 22 2019, 07:53 AM) *

Thanks for the photos, this helps. Any information on the photo labeled 'Kroon Harness'? Is this some sort of replacement?

Kroon make replacement harness but unfortunately only for 914-6's.
76-914
Think of this as eating an elephant; one bite at a time. Not being trying to be a Schei∫koph but take it one step at a time Ric. Start with what you know and whittle away at it. When I could go no further and was pulling my hair out I would work on another area of the car. Later I would return to the electrical nightmare and find one or two more small things that I could "wade through" and so it went. Eventually, you eliminate enough items that the remaining become more obvious. The biggest journeys begin with a small step. beerchug.gif

BeemerSteve
QUOTE(defianty @ Aug 22 2019, 01:38 AM) *

Not for long. Kroon has taken my main chassis harness as a prototype harness so they will start building them in the very near future. I can't tell you what the cost of them will be when they're finished though. My car is a 1973 914-4.
mepstein
QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Aug 22 2019, 11:20 AM) *

QUOTE(defianty @ Aug 22 2019, 01:38 AM) *

Not for long. Kroon has taken my main chassis harness as a prototype harness so they will start building them in the very near future. I can't tell you what the cost of them will be when they're finished though. My car is a 1973 914-4.

Funny, He did that with one of my harnesses a couple years ago and then after two years, told me he gave up on the project. Too many different versions to make it worth while. His six harness goes for ~$2500-3K.
Restoration Design is getting geared up to make 914 harnesses. I have a couple set aside for them.
Enrique - I can take any pic you want, just not until this weekend. smile.gif
914_7T3
@RiqueMar

Here is how my '73 presently sits. You're welcome to come check it out and take photos and make some notes if you feel that would help.

Also, for sure get a copy of the wiring diagram as others have suggested as there were differences and mine has got the heated rear window option.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Thanks all, this definitely helps.

For the record, if the Kroon 914/6 harness was bot 25-50% cheaper, I would have gone for it in a second. Worse-comes-to-worse, I have an extra original 914/6 harness in storage I would swap with my car.
mepstein
Wouldn’t it be easier to just use your six harness as a template to group the wires together. Or find another local teener owner and put the cars side by side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.