Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: nitrogen? in my tires?!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dead Air
A local tire retailer is advertising nitrogenDunn Tire

I think they're full of it!
redshift
You think your 'tiers' (© JP) are full of nitrogen?

M
lapuwali
No, they're absolutely correct. Using pure nitrogen instead of air reduces the moisture content in the tire, which means more consistent pressures as the temperature changes. Lots of racers have used only N2 in their tires for quite some time now.

Whether or not it's actually worth paying a premium for in a daily driver is debatable.
Mueller
I think you need to google it to read more before jumping to conclusions of BS.............

been used in racing tires for years...and not just 'cause they can, it has benifits smile.gif
MikeP
yup, it is all the rage at Costco.
davep
What the heck do you think is in your tires now? We have been through this before.
BIGKAT_83
Some new high end wheels come with 2 holes for valves 1 to fill with and one to use as a bleed to remove the air when filling with nitrogen.

Bob smilie_pokal.gif
TravisNeff
Careful there, too much nitrogen and you could get the bends! lol.

Actually the nitrogen is supposed to have less of a chance of water getting into your tires (as with regular air in an air compressor). If it does hold it's pressure longer than air does, all the other claims of treadlife and mileage fall under that (a by product of having the right pressures vs. having low pressure in tires)
MikeP
Why did you have to go and tell me something like that? Now I simply must have them!!!!
eeyore
The best thing about nitrogen in tires at Costco is the all the fun the tire center guys get to have with the newbies. If they can touch both a nearby railing and the nitrogen generator, they'll ground out a short and trip the circuit breaker. ohmy.gif

Ahh... Electrical humor. You just can't get enough of it.

hijacked.gif
Dead Air
QUOTE (MikeP @ Jun 28 2005, 03:23 PM)
Why did you have to go and tell me something like that? Now I simply must have them!!!!

[QUOTE]

Did you know that if you fill the windshield washers with frog sweat and lizard pee that it will drastically prolong the life of your windshield and the surrounding chrome and trim?

And if you drill a tiny little hole directly in front of your face, your complexion will improve!

And your car will be lighter, and your drag coefficient will improve.

And ALL the racers are doing it!the truth about nitrogen (the whole truth)
tell me I'm wrong!! happy11.gif
MikeP
You are wrong. There, are you happy?
airsix
I don't like pure Nitrogen.
I use a custom gas mix in all of my tires.

Roughly...
78% Nitrogen
21% Oxygen
1% Argon

It works great. Awsome compressibility characteristics and 100% elastic. Non-toxic to humans and environmentally safe if you spill some.

I have my equipment set up and calibrated to produce the blend on demand. I sell it for $0.15 per cubic foot. 914world.com members get a 10% discount. (You must supply your own recepticle). 100 cubic foot minimum order.

-Ben M.
anthony
IMO, nitrogen filling is a nice profit center for tire shops. If you find yourself on a track where 1 second a lap counts then knock yourself out and fill 'em up with nitrogen.

Dead Air
QUOTE (MikeP @ Jun 28 2005, 03:42 PM)
You are wrong. There, are you happy?

[QUOTE]

No... sad... so sad... sad.gif
Dead Air
QUOTE (airsix @ Jun 28 2005, 03:45 PM)

Roughly...
78% Nitrogen
21% Oxygen
1% Argon ...

... I sell it for $0.15 per cubic foot. 914world.com members get a 10% discount...100 cubic foot minimum order.

[QUOTE]

Do you ship by air?

What about a helium mix, will it make my car lighter, happier?
TimT
when we have the cupcars at the track, we bring Nitrogen bottles to power the jacks, we also use the nitrogen to operate the pnuematic tools (impact wrenches etc)
and we use the nitrogen to air up the tires..the nitrogen is "dry" also.. no wierd issues with filling tire with (moisture) saturated air..

Our atmosphere is mostly nitrogen anyhoo..

dont understand all the fuss

redshift
QUOTE (airsix @ Jun 28 2005, 07:45 PM)

Roughly...
78% Nitrogen
21% Oxygen
1% Argon

It works great. Awsome compressibility characteristics and 100% elastic. Non-toxic to humans and environmentally safe if you spill some.

I have my equipment set up and calibrated to produce the blend on demand. I sell it for $0.15 per cubic foot. 914world.com members get a 10% discount. (You must supply your own recepticle). 100 cubic foot minimum order.

-Ben M.

laugh.gif

Can you find out shipping on a thousand yards to 0U812?

M
Porsche Rescue
I hate the bright green valve caps that Costco puts on to show that there is nitrogen in there! Changed 'em as soon as I got home.
messix
it's a german car ! your supposed to use hydrogen for gods sakes.

and what was that wax that is the best for my car?
bd1308
some Virgin girl's ear wax....something Miles found out.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Porsche Rescue @ Jun 28 2005, 06:19 PM)
I hate the bright green valve caps that Costco puts on to show that there is nitrogen in there! Changed 'em as soon as I got home.

Thats the best part! Damn, I even had the set stolen off my truck last week cuz they are so cool. dry.gif
Mark Henry
Don't mention helium in the tires to Paul (URY914), or he'll want it in his tires. laugh.gif
racejoe
Only advantage is that the Nitrogen is dry. If you have a good drying system on your compressor, then there is no advantage. My favorite is the claims that the air will stay in the tires longer. Hmmm, Nitrogen molecule is smaller than O or Argon.

Now, 100% Argon, that might be something smile.gif
smooth_eddy
IMO, nitrogen filling is a nice profit center for tire shops.

Costco will do it for free for members.

Plus, the air will not leak out as fast as regular compressed air does. Eddy
bd1308
hijacked.gif

stoopid question: what keeps tires from dry-rotting? Is it exposure to rain and tar to mosturize the rubber, or is it just prolonged basic exposure without wear..

dunno how long it takes to dry-rot a tire but i'm guessing that one would change them WAY before the dryrot process happens......
anthony
IME, lack of use, old age, and being parked outside in the sun will cause tires to rot. I've got a set of tires in the garage that are probably 10 years old and they aren't cracked at all. And on the other hand, I had a set of tires crack prematurely (after only three years) on a daily driver I had.

airsix
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 28 2005, 08:26 PM)
hijacked.gif

stoopid question: what keeps tires from dry-rotting? Is it exposure to rain and tar to mosturize the rubber, or is it just prolonged basic exposure without wear..

UV and ozone. Keep those two things away and rubber will last a long time.

-Ben M.
Z Driver
I was in a tire shop having a car aligned. On the table for reading material, they put a shop equiptment catalogue. Since I used to work in a shop, I decided to read it. I saw them selling N2 setups for tire shops in there.
bd1308
sometimes when i copy papers, I smell ozone coming out of the copier's vents and i start to get dizzy
Pugbug
I love this forum because I learn something new every day! I had new tires installed at Costco yesterday, ( 195/65/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE 950)) and thought the green valve caps were a bit strange.
No one there told me that they filled them with nitrogen.
I'll be taking a 300 mile trip on them today, and I hope I like them.
Joe Bob
I've been using nitrogen for quite awhile....not because of the bling factor...it's because I have the tanks from work that we no longer use and it's cheap and easy to transport the tank as opposed to a compressor when racing. Doan need an electrical hookup and it runs the air gun fine....
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 29 2005, 04:08 AM)
sometimes when i copy papers, I smell ozone coming out of the copier's vents and i start to get dizzy

Why do we belive that.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jun 29 2005, 06:31 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 29 2005, 04:08 AM)

Why do we belive that.

My vote is dizzier
mrihop
QUOTE (airsix @ Jun 28 2005, 03:45 PM)

Roughly...
78% Nitrogen
21% Oxygen
1% Argon

-Ben M.

LMAO!!! chairfall.gif

If only I had $0.15 for every time I took a deep breath...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.