Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prognosis request
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
So because I have an obsession and cant stop buying cars lol I have started looking at some 914s again.

I dont like rust, not a body man. Give me an engine to rebuild or electrical issues, hell even FI (but prefer carbs) I'll troubleshoot until they are fixed.

How terminal is this?

Is the lower compromised or is this not enough to go on?

Click to view attachment
dakotaewing
Learn to weld. Gain some new skills. Get some new (to you) tools. Sometimes growth is painful, but you will be able to handle bigger challenges in the future.
By the looks of this one, it requires repairs.
You won't know really how much until you peel it open. Post more pics, and pull the rocker off before you do.
And please just pull that battery tray out. It's doing nothing but attempting to hide the obvious.

Good Luck to you -
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that is nothing! Easily repaired. do not even need to purchase our repair panels, just the tray and support, remove the insulator pad and clean off the over spray, sand blast cut and piece caulk zinc chromate prime and paint

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 21 2019, 03:10 PM) *

So because I have an obsession and cant stop buying cars lol I have started looking at some 914s again.

I dont like rust, not a body man. Give me an engine to rebuild or electrical issues, hell even FI (but prefer carbs) I'll troubleshoot until they are fixed.

How terminal is this?

Is the lower compromised or is this not enough to go on?
mepstein
Buy a $25 horoscope that syncs to your phone. They work great for this kind of stuff.
SirAndy
Chances are the long under there is rotted away already. This has been open to the elements for a long time.
sad.gif

Read this for inspiration:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

smash.gif
nditiz1
Thanks! Most likely long has been affected in some way. Car was in a garage for the past 10 years(it was a potential purchase). You can see more pics in the for sale ads.

Anyway,
@dakotaewing - I'm always for new skills, but with 3, 5 and under, getting free time to wrench is limited. I own a welder (Eastwood 135 Mig). These are the types of challenges I'd be more inclined to face when I'm retired or the kids are older.

@mepstein - Car is in Boston, borescope is out, good idea though.

@SirAndy - inspiration or deterrent, j/k beerchug.gif

mtndawg
If you can get the rocker covers off you will have better insight.
mepstein
There are very few east coast cars sold without major rot. It’s not like the water and battery acid rot through the first layer of metal and then disappear. The reason the hole isn’t bigger, is now all that stuff makes a quick exit from the engine compartment and pools in the long and washes over both suspension consoles. It's the tip of the iceberg and 90% is hidden.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2019, 07:58 PM) *

There are very few east coast cars sold without major rot. It’s not like the water and battery acid rot through the first layer of natal and then disappear. The reason the hole isn’t bigger is now all that stuff makes a quick exit from the engine compartment and pools in the long and washes over both suspension consoles. Its the tip of the iceberg and 90% is hidden.

agree.gif

With all due respect to the Doc, this ain't easy unless you're going to just plaster some fresh metal over the top of the hole and pretend all is well.

Can it be saved? Most certainly. Should it be saved - I would say yes, but, I'm a mechanical masochist and enjoy saving old things just for the challenge.

Question is - should you be the one to save it? Only you can answer that question.

michelko
Take it as a challenge learn new skills and make project of it.

The blue one shown above is mine and i never regret the decission to save it.

Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.