Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little ambitious on price
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krazykonrad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2306067

I know sixes are going up, but this is a little much.
SirAndy
We'll see this one again, most likely as a VIN swap ...
dry.gif
SirAndy
IPB Image
SO.O.C914er
SoCal Andy could make it right! welder.gif smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif
rick 918-S
If I were younger.... smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif assimilate.gif just noticed the vin tag is missing from the headlight bucket.
rgalla9146
A shame. Unusual original color.
914Sixer
Expensive title.
Superhawk996
Didn't we just see this one a few weeks ago at same salvage yard for $17K? Maybe my memory is failing me.

Is price going up despite not selling?

Given what I already have into my POS/4, $19K for a real six is starting to look good to me.
GregAmy
I suggest "a little ambitious on price" describes the whole 914 market right now. I don't see our cars as a good long-term "investment", especially once the next car-price-crash inevitably comes.

Let the players play. We'll just drive and enjoy them.
Chris H.
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 21 2019, 09:27 PM) *

We'll see this one again, most likely as a VIN swap ...
dry.gif

agree.gif Severely tweaked AND it was on fire? Need one of McMark's "body in white" to fix that.
gandalf_025
Interesting how nobody here jumped on the running,
driving 6 that was listed on the S Registry for 40,000.00
a few weeks ago...

Superhawk996
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Aug 22 2019, 12:37 PM) *

Interesting how nobody here jumped on the running,
driving 6 that was listed on the S Registry for 40,000.00
a few weeks ago...

Why pay $40K for a running car when you could get this for $19k and a lifetime of stories out of it. lol-2.gif

Let me tell you about the time I . . . . . .
Ed_Turbo
I just don’t understand the logic confused24.gif

The prices people post are comical. Some guy who has a yard full of 914’s quoted me $150 for a targa top that has been outside since Ferdinand Porsche was still alive. confused24.gif mad.gif I know the deal start high go low but dang you wan’t to set the bar that high? Are you on drugs?

-Ed
thelogo
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Aug 22 2019, 05:48 PM) *

The prices people post are comical. Some guy who has a yard full of 914’s quoted me $150 for a targa top that has been outside since Ferdinand Porsche was still alive. confused24.gif mad.gif I know the deal start high go low but dang you wan’t to set the bar that high? Are you on drugs?

-Ed

So thats what a 914/6 looks like extra crispy .

Confusing for sure .... Not sure why someone would save that even if it was free. Couldnt pay me to take it
Chi-town
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Aug 22 2019, 05:48 PM) *

-Ed

$100-150 is the normal going price outside of this forum. I've seen them as high as $250 in the general market, that's why I stock piled them for a while.
Valy
The add says it was on fire in 1972. We're 2019 now. So who stored this crushed and burned rust bucket for 47 years? Sometimes doesn't make sense.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Valy @ Aug 22 2019, 07:05 PM) *

The add says it was on fire in 1972. We're 2019 now. So who stored this crushed and burned rust bucket for 47 years? Sometimes doesn't make sense.

The last 914-6 hulk they dragged out was bought in 79, have you seen the racks of this place. Rudy Klein was buying everything back in the day, lots he didn't sell, obviously.

Here is what was under those racks a few years ago.
rick 918-S
The price is a little lofty but it's a 6 with number matching engine. There are guys on this forum that have the talent to repair this car. With the right parts it's not really as impossible as it seems to appear.
Superhawk996
I suggest we take up a collection and ship it to Brent. He's on the home stretch and once he finishes his /4 he'll likely go crazy without a project like this one will be.

@bbrock
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 23 2019, 04:31 AM) *

I suggest we take up a collection and ship it to Brent. He's on the home stretch and once he finishes his /4 he'll likely go crazy without a project like this one will be.

@bbrock

I'll let you take that up with my wife. unsure.gif
Spoke
Ten years ago I bought my '86 930 for the same price.

1986 Porsche 930

sixnotfour
I Sold my 84 euro 930, same $$s totaled wthin 2 weeks sad.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 23 2019, 11:54 AM) *

1986 Porsche 930

And now a core 930 engine gets $20-25k.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2019, 08:44 AM) *

1986 Porsche 930

That's what everyone told me, I had a running one, took six months to sell it, got $14,000. Everyone said $20,000+ all day long, no takers. I even had a video of it driving a car up and down the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anc92Z3_WeU
mepstein
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 23 2019, 09:27 PM) *

1986 Porsche 930

That's what everyone told me, I had a running one, took six months to sell it, got $14,000. Everyone said $20,000+ all day long, no takers. I even had a video of it driving a car up and down the street.

Sometimes it’s just timing. No interest until the guy with the turbo punches a rod through the case or has an engine fire and gets on a mission to restore the car that he had the first date with his wife. You never know.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2019, 06:11 PM) *

1986 Porsche 930

Sometimes it’s just timing. No interest until the guy with the turbo punches a rod through the case or has an engine fire and gets on a mission to restore the car that he had the first date with his wife. You never know.

Yeah, but waiting on one buyer is not a market make. When people throw around prices of what something brings on the market, what people get, it's a regular occurrence, not an outlier. You can't go around buying parts for a living based on what one guy once sold one for, it has to be what the market will pay, multiple times. Luckily in this case the engine was a gimme, came in the 72 Targa, along with a truckload of cars, which is why after six months of trying to sell it I sold it for $14,000. If a rare part like a 930 motor sits on the market for a half a year and it sells for $14,000, that's the market, not $20,000-25,000. It's the same when people look at asking prices on Pelican or Ebay for a part and tell you that's what it's worth, it's not, check completed sales, that is the market, and for fun check completed sales for the guys asking pie in the sky prices, not many sales those guys. I know this probably sounds like a rant but it's not, just observations from a guy who does this all day everyday and has a pretty good handle on the Porsche market.
mepstein
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Aug 23 2019, 10:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2019, 06:11 PM) *

1986 Porsche 930

Yeah, but waiting on one buyer is not a market make. When people throw around prices of what something brings on the market, what people get, it's a regular occurrence, not an outlier. You can't go around buying parts for a living based on what one guy once sold one for, it has to be what the market will pay, multiple times. Luckily in this case the engine was a gimme, came in the 72 Targa, along with a truckload of cars, which is why after six months of trying to sell it I sold it for $14,000. If a rare part like a 930 motor sits on the market for a half a year and it sells for $14,000, that's the market, not $20,000-25,000. It's the same when people look at asking prices on Pelican or Ebay for a part and tell you that's what it's worth, it's not, check completed sales, that is the market, and for fun check completed sales for the guys asking pie in the sky prices, not many sales those guys. I know this probably sounds like a rant but it's not, just observations from a guy who does this all day everyday and has a pretty good handle on the Porsche market.

I agree with what you are saying. I don’t know the real reason the 930 motor we sold got $24k. I just know it came in from one of our customer cars with a Ruff trans and a buyer wired me the funds after I told him we had it. It wasn’t a Ruff engine, just a tired 930 engine that was getting switched out for a built 3.8. The car wasn’t a stock 930 so our customer didn’t care about originality but maybe the buyer did.
Rand
QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Aug 21 2019, 06:42 PM) *

No doubt about that! ... I'm not sure he would appreciate you saying that in this context.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 23 2019, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(SO.O.C914er @ Aug 21 2019, 06:42 PM) *

No doubt about that! ... I'm not sure he would appreciate you saying that in this context.

@914350 ls the body guru,, first step , andy,yellow then the orange, then cairo green...sixes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.