Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Updating side shift linkage - with front shifter and rod from a tail shift car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjs3rd914
I posted recently the following thread on the issue of getting into first gear with a freshly rebuilt side shift tranny.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=jjs3rd914

After some driving time has passed I am still having the issue. So we started to look at some major upgrade that other have done and vendor offered kits.

Here is a great thread by Montreal914

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=329708

where he seems to in part use the idea from Tangerine racing's kit

http://www.tangerineracing.com/shiftlinkage.htm

I have a spare shift console and side shift linkage and will attempt the same.

The car is a 72 with a side shift conversion so we still have a bunch of tail shift parts.

Hence the question??

Has anyone done what Montreal914 did or installed the Tangerine kit. I see that two steering u-joint coupling are needed, one coming out of the firewall and one just before the shift console. But it seems like people retain the side shift front shifting rod that has the "wobbly" motion coming out of the firewall. I like Monreal914 have tossed the factory bushing and installed a spherical bearing.

Since two u-joint are used subsequently, it seems the Porsche design with the wobbly motion is not longer necessary. So has anyone used the (at least up front part) shifter and front rod from the tail shift linkage. This part seems to use a more precise motion of, in and out of the firewall with rotation, BUT no wobble left and right. as in the side shit version.

One could attach the firewall u-joint to the shaft coming out of the firewall.

Seems to us this should improve the shifting.

Yes it is difficult to explain, but it seems Porsche used the wobbly motion maybe for cost saving as only one shift coupling was used in the side shift version, saving production costs.

Anyone done this?? Comments?? Are we full of it thinking crazy??

jjs3rd914

mepstein
You just described the NLA JWest linkage kit. It works great. I just think there wasn't enough demand to keep it going. Too expensive at the time for the average 914 guy. Now that our cars bring more money, guys are investing in upgrades. Check out Sir Andy's 3.6 build thread. There are two sub threads where McMark details and installs the kit. Not too hard to duplicate if you are into fabbing parts but if you want a ready to install system, Tangerine Racing has you covered.
@jjs3rd914
ChrisFoley
The early shift lever reverses the rotation of the shift rod compared to the sideshift setup.
If you go that way you'll have first gear where 5th is normally located.
brant
a recent discussion on this:
shifting
jjs3rd914
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Aug 22 2019, 08:37 AM) *

The early shift lever reverses the rotation of the shift rod compared to the sideshift setup.
If you go that way you'll have first gear where 5th is normally located.

THANKS, took me a while to visualize what what Chris is saying and all of a sudden its clear. So I am so glad for this forum.

As I said in my initial post "Are we full of it thinking crazy??"

I suppose I was!

But does lead to a follow up question? Why did Porsche only use one shaft coupling as opposed to two which seems to be the way to go when updating? Was it production cost and fact the linkage does work generally.

jjs3rd914

rhodyguy
There are 2 coupling items for the side shift. The one at the front and a part (Rear shift coupling. #53 in exploded diag) under the rear plastic cover. They both use the same set screw. Have you inspected the ball cup bushing housed in the rear coupler? While it pivots, it should be a solid connection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.