Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stumbling 1974 2.0...It's finally fixed. Post 63.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
orthobiz
9/17/19. My resistance numbers are good, my ability to read said number is bad! Paul

9/16/19 I removed the MPS because I could not be assured I was touching the leads appropriately after removing the plug...and what I found...Post 52

Paul

9/15/19 Another update:

Tested the vacuum on the MPS, it's fine. Am hoping to test electrically according to PBAnders site:

"If the vacuum test is passed, check the coil resistances. The primary coil is measured between terminals 7 and 15 and should measure about 90 ohms. The secondary coil is measured between terminals 8 and 10 and should measure about 350 ohms"

Is there a diagram of the terminals? Do I remove the unit to test it? Damn I'm such a newbie!

Paul

9/14/19 update:

My 1974 2.0 with EFI was running fine. Put in LED taillights, left the ignition on to test the blinkers and then the car started running poorly. Thought I fried my Pertronix, put a new one in, seemed to run fine for a day and then started running poorly again. I took some video today but it really doesn't show what is happening as felt in the seat of my pants, i.e. it stumbles but doesn't crack heads back and forth. A loss of power, maybe a bit worse when warmed up, mild surging that is disconcerting and annoying to say the least.

I disconnected the TPS and it didn't run any better. I am wondering if the TPS is bad, could the engine run poorly even if it is disconnected. In other words, does that totally rule the TPS out as the problem?

It just has to be something electric, I think. Should I replace the TPS just to see? I can't imagine going back to incandescent lights will help, it's stumbling with or without the LED lights on.

I'd rather not go back to points/condenser...

Sorry I'm so needy but I am puzzled to say the least!

Paul

Older posts follow:

Update on the update: I fried my Pertronix...see below.

Update: it's more like a hesitating stumbling, happening with or without cruising, that is, it also happens under acceleration. Original post follows:

My 1974 2.0 started bucking all of a sudden. Researching on the site, I'm thinking it's the TPS. Looked in George's Tech Tips 700 book and he advised disconnecting the TPS harness to see if the bucking went away.

To cut to the chase, it bucks especially between 2000-3000 RPM whether the TPS is connected or not. Mainly under light load, while driving and maintaining speed.

It seems to do this more when the engine is warming up, rather than when stone cold.

I am wondering if I should just replace the TPS board. Does the persistence of this problem after disconnecting the TPS rule it out as a cause? I don't feel like tearing into this unnecessarily.

It has a new late style fuel pump that is mounted up front last year, eliminating vapor lock. I've read here that low pressure can be the culprit, but would doubt it in my case.

Perhaps the temp change relationship implies a bad CHT sensor?

Any ideas on things I can easily check much appreciated.

Paul
mepstein
Check all grounds and the dizzy.
orthobiz
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2019, 08:13 PM) *

What on the distributor? I read in one thread about bad points, another about advance plates, another about trigger points.

Paul
northern chris
You can also try disconnecting each injector one at a time, as a bad injector can cause the same symptom. If you pull an injector and there is no change in running you will have a potential culprit I just went through a similar thing and my issue where the injector trigger points. If you unplug the TPS the car will run fine but accelerate very poorly. Cleaning the TPS board may also help.
Rand
Not sure about that last comment. One injector? Unplugging the TPS wouldn't fix that. Electrical is instant on/off style. Fuel tends to more wane, not chop.
mepstein
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 23 2019, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2019, 08:13 PM) *

What on the distributor? I read in one thread about bad points, another about advance plates, another abut trigger points.

Paul

I don’t know what to do but a friend of mine did an R&R on mine when there was a bad stumble and it went away.
northern chris
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 23 2019, 05:02 PM) *

Not sure about that last comment. One injector? No. Electrical is instant on/off style. Fuel tends to more wane, not chop.

You disconnect one injector at a time, an easy way to check if they are working as they should. If an injector is not working you will get bucking.
Rand
QUOTE(northern chris @ Aug 23 2019, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 23 2019, 05:02 PM) *

Not sure about that last comment. One injector? No. Electrical is instant on/off style. Fuel tends to more wane, not chop.

You disconnect one injector at a time, an easy way to check if they are working as they should. If an injector is not working you will get bucking.

I appreciate your workflow. But, bucking like the OP described would not be caused by one injector.
Rand
Is it stumbling some, or is it real bucking as in jerking the car? Semantics always complicate troubleshooting.
orthobiz
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 23 2019, 09:11 PM) *

Is it stumbling some, or is it real bucking as in jerking the car? Semantics always complicate troubleshooting.

Probably more stumbling, definitely not head banging bucking.

Paul
mepstein
Mine was car shaking bucking.
Rand
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2019, 06:07 PM) *

R&R... Please elaborate. Was it just cleaning wiring connections? More? This is good info. beerchug.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 23 2019, 10:21 PM) *

R&R... Please elaborate. Was it just cleaning wiring connections? More? This is good info. beerchug.gif

The usual maintenance on a dizzy. I wish I knew what that was. At least he did.
ironken62
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 23 2019, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 23 2019, 10:21 PM) *

The usual maintenance on a dizzy. I wish I knew what that was. At least he did.

My car is doing the exact same stubbing between 2,500 - 2,900 rpm, rus strong before and after when on the throttle. I have checked the all grounds, vacuum hoses, adjusted the valves, replaced the points and set the dwell at 50 and the car is still stubbing. I also just had to replace the fuel pump. What am I missing???
HansJan
I had similar issues when coasting around 3,000 rpm.
Replaced the flamethrower distributor with a programmable one from 1-2-3.

Totally fixed this issue for me.
Not saying that’s what’s going on with yours. But it’s something to consider.
Rand
The 123 is one of the hugest upgrades that everyone should do. It's not hard to do, and fixes a multitude.
falcor75
Does the bucking go away under full throttle? Did you check and adjust the fuel pressure after replacing the fuel pump?
rjames
I've read here that low pressure can be the culprit, but would doubt it in my case.

Why? Unless you’ve verified the correct pressure, it’s a possibility.

Did the car ever not exhibit the stumbling behavior? If yes, when did it start, and what was done to the car right before? Did it begin after the fuel pump was moved?
Have you checked for a kinked fuel line?
porschetub
Totally check your ignition system before saying you have a fueling issue,start from the start and then move to your current issue after that,seen this SO many times,good luck.
orthobiz
Thanks for all the replies. The stumbling occurs under acceleration as well, seems to be getting rapidly worse. My question: it does it with or without the TPS hooked up, so that means the TPS is not the culprit?

I'll investigate further with my limited skills. If it's solved for sure I'll post what happened! Thanks everybody!!

Paul
rhodyguy
Is your tps calibrated with an ohm meter?
orthobiz
The car had horrible vapor lock and it was eliminated with a new fuel pump last year, so the change was a while ago. Never stumbled before.

As far as what was done right before: I installed LED lights from Spoke and for a few minutes had the ignition turned on while I was testing it. Maybe I fried my points? But I looked in the distributor and it doesn't look like points, there are two newish wires coming out from a thing where the points used to be (years ago when I did my own tuneups).

I am somewhat lost so I apologize for the murky descriptions.

Paul

QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 26 2019, 12:16 AM) *

I've read here that low pressure can be the culprit, but would doubt it in my case.

Why? Unless you’ve verified the correct pressure, it’s a possibility.

Did the car ever not exhibit the stumbling behavior? If yes, when did it start, and what was done to the car right before? Did it begin after the fuel pump was moved?
Have you checked for a kinked fuel line?
orthobiz
I did not check it. However, with the ignition on, when I move the accelerator cable, I hear what must be the 20 clicks, all regularly spaced. Maybe the TPS went out of calibration? Could that be why the car stumbles with or without it?

Hmmm....maybe just install the new TPS, I already have it.

Paul

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 26 2019, 04:34 PM) *

Is your tips calibrated with an ohm meter?
rjames
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 26 2019, 01:39 PM) *

I did not check it. However, with the ignition on, when I move the accelerator cable, I hear what must be the 20 clicks, all regularly spaced. Maybe the TPS went out of calibration? Could that be why the car stumbles with or without it?

Hmmm....maybe just install the new TPS, I already have it.

Paul

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 26 2019, 04:34 PM) *

Is your tips calibrated with an ohm meter?

New or old, TPS’s require calibration. Calibrate the on you gave and see if that changes anything, although I doubt it will.

Sounds like you don’t have points anymore, depending on what they were replaced with, it may be possible to fry them if you leave the ignition on. That said, if they were fried, I would expect the car wouldn’t even start. Someone else can chime in on that.

So... you’ve been offered several suggestions, why not actually try some of them and report back?
orthobiz
Update: spoke with my mechanic, the car has Pertronix ignition, hence the lack of points. My daytime job is interfering with car matters but I will look into this more carefully this week, appreciate all the input.

But I still wonder, if the car runs poorly with the TPS connected AND disconnected, does that eliminate the TPS as a potential cause?

Paul
orthobiz
In reading about the Pertronix, which is what I have, they caution against leaving the ignition on without running the car and this is EXACTLY what I did when I installed my LED rear lights.

So, I'm gonna get a replacement AND if it fixes it, so be it.
And if it doesn't, I'll have a spare!

Will report back...

Paul

Thanks to everyone who chimed in including Mark 914rubber who thought "electrical" and rjames who asked what I did just before this behavior began.
Sm914650
Im also having a bucking issue with a 73 1.7.

Seems to happen the most around 2-3k rpm as well, but it happens lower/higher as well. Seems to happen more often when car is warm, and when driving on rough roads. Drove it from SF to Santa Cruz a week ago and a 3-4 times during ride down hwy1, would start bucking, and then stall out while driving. Pull over 15min while flooded.

If anyone can pinpoint from that im all ears otherwise ill take the advice already listed.
rjames
QUOTE(Sm914650 @ Aug 26 2019, 06:12 PM) *

Im also having a bucking issue with a 73 1.7.

Seems to happen the most around 2-3k rpm as well, but it happens lower/higher as well. Seems to happen more often when car is warm, and when driving on rough roads. Drove it from SF to Santa Cruz a week ago and a 3-4 times during ride down hwy1, would start bucking, and then stall out while driving. Pull over 15min while flooded.

If anyone can pinpoint from that im all ears otherwise ill take the advice already listed.

Start a new thread of your own and add more details. (Ex: FI or carbs? When did the issue start happening, etc.) and people will help.
orthobiz
rjames had me thinking...the last thing I did was mess with my wonderful LED taillights, turning the ignition, working the blinker, running back to look.

Turns out I burnt up the Pertronix, put a new one in and...problem solved! Of course, I first had to order the wrong unit, send it back, get the right one, yaddayaddayadda.

Also, Mark 914rubber sent me a PM saying it sounded electrical, that helped as did everyone else who posted.

So, if I want to check the taillights, I will leave the car running or disconnect the ignition at the coil. And I'll probably put a spare Pertronix in my travel tool bag, along with some crimp on wire connectors.

Thanks again, everybody, love this site!

Paul
JeffBowlsby
So one has to wonder if the Pertronix is truly an 'upgrade' with all of this fiasco. Same goes for the LED lights.

idea.gif
FlacaProductions
LEDs are most certainly an upgrade. I don't think that's even a debate.
Petronix? Dunno....I don't run it so I can't comment.
ndfrigi
here is what I posted also on other thread:

here is my experienced with pertronix, bought my 1st 914 75 1.8 FI last 2011. The car last registration was 2003 and been sitting for 8 years as non-op. So 2011 since I bought it, did nothing with the dizzy except just look at the inside and it is clean, so I didn’t bother changing anything except replace spark plugs and wire for the ignition system and fix all fuel lines and installed SS tunnel lines and other needs to be restored since it was a non-op for 8 years.
I was able to drive the car for more than 4 years until the pertronix failed. Installed old contacts points just to test and it did run again. And since I also have a used pertronix from my stash of dizzy, grab that pertronix and installed it and it run well again even not knowing the condition of that pertronix. Sold the car last 2017 with same pertronix. So meaning, as long you have the right or proper installation, pertronix should be better than contact point.

link below is the other thread regarding pertronix.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...52909&st=20
Tbrown4x4
I hope this is contributing to the thread and not a hijack.

I was aware of everyone's concerns about leaving the ignition on and damaging the pertronix. I installed a 2 pin weatherpack connector in the distributor wiring. Now I can disconnect the pertronix module from the car any time I need to keep the ignition on for an extended period of time.

Also handy for swapping distributors on the side of the road if necessary.
orthobiz
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 7 2019, 05:03 PM) *

So one has to wonder if the Pertronix is truly an 'upgrade' with all of this fiasco. Same goes for the LED lights.

idea.gif

For visibility the taillights are terrific. And from what I understand it's possible to burn out the standard points with the ignition on as well. The Pertronix is easy to adjust, especially for someone like me with limited mechanical abilities!

Paul
rhodyguy
Check the lights with the engine running. smile.gif
orthobiz
Thanks for being patient with me everybody. I replaced the Pertronix yesterday and all was fine...until today. Stumbling is as bad as it ever was. I'm fixated on disconnecting the TPS to see if it cures the problem but alas, disconnecting the TPS makes it worse. It is hesitating, maybe a bit better with hard acceleration, but irregular especially under 3000 RPM. Not improved by warming up the engine.

I did NOT leave the ignition on so I should not have fried my Pertronix BUT maybe I should go back to points/condenser??

Paul
porschetub
Did you replace with Ignitor 1 ?,I've never burnt one out but many say the Ignitor 2 has no issue with leaving the ignition on.
You are running the correct coil with your Pertronix right ?,I only use their matching (impedance) coils just to be sure.
orthobiz
Ignitor 2 BUT I am using a Bosch Blue Coil. I've read that people have run blue coils without issue.
And it seemed to run OK yesterday and now is up to the old shenanigans, so I'm not certain if the coil should
be the source.

It definitely seems electrical. There is a test of resistance in the installation manual for the Pertronix that I did not
follow. Maybe I need to revisit my installation. Ugh!

Paul

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 8 2019, 04:26 PM) *

Did you replace with Ignitor 1 ?,I've never burnt one out but many say the Ignitor 2 has no issue with leaving the ignition on.
You are running the correct coil with your Pertronix right ?,I only use their matching (impedance) coils just to be sure.
porschetub
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 9 2019, 08:31 AM) *

Ignitor 2 BUT I am using a Bosch Blue Coil. I've read that people have run blue coils without issue.
And it seemed to run OK yesterday and now is up to the old shenanigans, so I'm not certain if the coil should
be the source.

It definitely seems electrical. There is a test of resistance in the installation manual for the Pertronix that I did not

Paul

I've run Bosch blue coils with Ignitor I on two engines,zero issues ,I don't remember the resistance of them but I know there is a difference with Ignitor 2.
Just dug out my instruction sheet for Ignitor 2,noted the following;
minimum voltage 8V,
coil 0.45 ohms or greater,
"Warning DO NOT USE WITH SOLID CORE SPARK PLUG WIRES".
I'am sure you read all that but probably worth doing the voltage test ,oh and the coil I have is Pertronix 0.6ohm which I didn't use as I'am running a matching transformer coil with my Permatune.
Good luck.
orthobiz
Thanks but I think I'm just not having any luck with this gremlin and may seek additional hands on help!

Paul

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 9 2019, 03:40 PM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 9 2019, 08:31 AM) *

be the source.

Paul

I've run Bosch blue coils with Ignitor I on two engines,zero issues ,I don't remember the resistance of them but I know there is a difference with Ignitor 2.
Just dug out my instruction sheet for Ignitor 2,noted the following;
minimum voltage 8V,
coil 0.45 ohms or greater,
"Warning DO NOT USE WITH SOLID CORE SPARK PLUG WIRES".
I'am sure you read all that but probably worth doing the voltage test ,oh and the coil I have is Pertronix 0.6ohm which I didn't use as I'am running a matching transformer coil with my Permatune.
Good luck.

orthobiz
So I did more checking according to the Ignitor II instruction sheet.

Checked the air gap, it's just under 0.020" and has not changed.
The net resistance of the aluminum Ignitor plate to ground is less than 0.2 ohms.
The voltage test shows 9+ volts, which is more than 8.0V.

All meeting spec.

So, other electrical issues could be...?
What's with the 123 Distributor?

Paul
rjames
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 13 2019, 05:15 PM) *

The net resistance of the aluminum Ignitor plate to ground is less than 0.2 ohms.

All meeting spec.

Paul

123 distributor is plug and play. Easy setup. Love mine so far.
rjames
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 13 2019, 05:15 PM) *

All meeting spec.

Paul

123 distributor is plug and play. Easy setup. Love mine so far.
orthobiz
Updated post #1.

Paul
mepstein
Time for the six conversion happy11.gif
orthobiz
Looking to test MPS according to my post #1. Set the vacuum at 10 for five minutes, held the negative pressure just fine. Now want to check the leads.

"If the vacuum test is passed, check the coil resistances. The primary coil is measured between terminals 7 and 15 and should measure about 90 ohms. The secondary coil is measured between terminals 8 and 10 and should measure about 350 ohms"

Are these numbered on the MPS? Do I take it out of the car? Is there a diagram of the terminals??

Paul
JeffBowlsby
Vacuum pump test at 15 in. Hg.

Ohm test inner and outer pairs of terminals (its two coils)

Good vacuum and coil tests would be encouraging, but its the calibration that determines the A/F ratio. Has your MPS been previously adjusted?
orthobiz
No previous adjustments...will test tomorrow, thanks Jeff. Will redo the vacuum test but I think it will pass.

Paul
rjames
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 15 2019, 06:54 PM) *

Vacuum pump test at 15 in. Hg.

Ohm test inner and outer pairs of terminals (its two coils)

Good vacuum and coil tests would be encouraging, but its the calibration that determines the A/F ratio. Has your MPS been previously adjusted?

agree.gif

This is key.
914werke
if it still has the epoxy filled over it nose ..it hasnt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.