Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Mueller work on his poor dilapidated 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mueller
Beats standing in line at Disney.

I might even play music you enjoy.

Cold water and a DIY BBQ

Signed up for a show on Sept 24, soooooo far behind.

I'm working on the POS Friday to Monday, I better get something done.
ConeDodger
Hey! 110 look sees and no one wants to help? You California guys are way more generous than that! Sound off! Help a brother out.
Andyrew
Mike,

So this weekend?

Is there physically anything you need? Parts/tools/ect?

Do you have a checklist done yet?

Steve
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 27 2019, 12:30 PM) *

Hey! 110 look sees and no one wants to help? You California guys are way more generous than that! Sound off! Help a brother out.

Your closer than Southern California.....
A lot of us would love to help if he was closer.
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 27 2019, 12:37 PM) *

Mueller - would love to help - but actually going to Disneyland (and drop last kid off at college)
burton73
Mueller,

Don’t think we do not love you! We love you big time our 914 brother. Lots of So CA guys would help but it is a bit of a drive for us.

I am going to use my excuse that I am to old and my back is too screwed up.

Best Bob B
beer3.gif slap.gif
tygaboy
Hi Mike - Are you hoping to organize a specific day or is it drop in any time during the week?
I can't make this weekend (personal commits and helping BuddyV with his roll cage) but would a day next week work?
mepstein
I can't make it out to help - east coast, but if you need any parts, let me know and it's yours. No cost. Nothing. Nada. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Hey Mike- This is a tough weekend due to the holiday. I have a family BBQ and an annual summer neighborhood BBQ to attend. That leaves me one day to do all of the rest of the stuff. Sorry- I really would like to come hang out and lend a hand doing anything 914 related. If something changes, I will reach out. But have a great time and hopefully get some stuff done. beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
Heat or no heat, this sounds like fun—wish I was not snowed into my desk with an issue on deadline plus 9/14 stuff.

Perhaps in the next chapter...in the meantime, please keep throwing invites out! One of the most fun days I've had around 914s was the straighten SirAndy's 914-6 day in the south bay...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 27 2019, 04:37 PM) *

Actually, there is only a 30 minute difference between where I am and where you are and where he is. I have to climb and descend a mountain to go to Antioch so there is that too.

My reason for posting is that this sat on the page for 26 hours without a response. I was just going to bump it until I saw it had 110 views.

I’m on call all weekend so I’m out.
fiacra
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 26 2019, 06:15 PM) *

Beats standing in line at Disney.

I might even play music you enjoy.

Cold water and a DIY BBQ

Signed up for a show on Sept 24, soooooo far behind.

I'm working on the POS Friday to Monday, I better get something done.

Happy to help out if I can. I work through Saturday, but I can give you my Sunday. In Richmond, so not too far away. Not sure what type of help you need, but I have decent mechanical skills and lots of tools, but I am not a master mechanic and I'm relatively new to 914s. Just email if you think I can be of help.
Chris H.
@fiacra based on the list of cars in your signature you fit RIGHT IN here. No need to be a master mechanic. Very kind of you to step up.

Of course I am another one who is WAY too far away but if I can help with any troubleshooting remotely just PM me. I also have a lot of spare parts so let us know what you need Mike. Since the engine is in the car you're really pretty far along.
Mueller
No need to shame anyone Rob smile.gif

I do realize bad weekend and no notice and others do have other commitments.

I just need a hand , don't expect anyone to actually put the car together and get greasy. I have neighbors that have offered however the know nothing of the car and are not car guys.

Don't expect anyone to travel, that is too much to ask.

Too many people and it might be counter-productive.

This is the list of items I can think of myself, these are items I know needs to get done and for me are 2 people jobs.

I plan on doing the electrical myself as it is not set in stone. (and messy!)

Install and wire fuel pump (relocated to frunk)
Hook up some relays and wire radiator fans
Install factory front swaybar (still need to cut the chassis sheetmetal)
Put seats back into car.
Install the sideshifter shift bar that goes from transmission to firewall.
Run new throttle and clutch cables
Put new bearings in rear trailing arms
Install brakes front and rear
Install new Bilstein inserts and rear shocks.
Maybe put new bushing in trailing arms.

fiacra, Sunday would be perfect..gets me out of going to picnic as well.

Thanks all and no more fussing please. beerchug.gif
BuddyV
Message sent..... I might be in the East Bay early afternoon Friday...... this sounds better than getting into afternoon traffic back to Santa Rosa

beerchug.gif
Tbrown4x4
I can do your wheel bearings and shocks/struts, but you'd have to send them to me!
Andyrew
Well I'm just starting a cold so I will want to kick that 100% before coming over.

Lots of easy stuff there. A team of 4 guys can get that done in a day.

I'd be happy to tackle any wiring you wanted, and can bring over my tools, or do any fabrication needed.

Is the following weekend open?

Mueller your probably best suited for doing to rear wheel bearings as you did mine 15 years ago and know your tools.
gms
If I were closer I would be there @Mueller .
beerchug.gif
markhoward
Don’t think I can come Sunday but if @BuddyV is rolling through San Rafael on Friday, perhaps he can drop the trailing arms off at my house. Would do the bearings and bushings and bring them to @fiacra on Saturday for the trip back.
Steve
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 27 2019, 02:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 27 2019, 04:37 PM) *

Actually, there is only a 30 minute difference between where I am and where you are and where he is. I have to climb and descend a mountain to go to Antioch so there is that too.

My reason for posting is that this sat on the page for 26 hours without a response. I was just going to bump it until I saw it had 110 views.

I’m on call all weekend so I’m out.

Thanks Rob!! Wish he was closer!! From Laguna Niguel where I live (south Orange County) is over 7 hours depending on traffic. A lot of us are in South Orange County.
fiacra
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 27 2019, 04:53 PM) *

No need to shame anyone Rob smile.gif

I do realize bad weekend and no notice and others do have other commitments.

I just need a hand , don't expect anyone to actually put the car together and get greasy. I have neighbors that have offered however the know nothing of the car and are not car guys.

Don't expect anyone to travel, that is too much to ask.

Too many people and it might be counter-productive.

This is the list of items I can think of myself, these are items I know needs to get done and for me are 2 people jobs.

I plan on doing the electrical myself as it is not set in stone. (and messy!)

Install and wire fuel pump (relocated to frunk)
Hook up some relays and wire radiator fans
Install factory front swaybar (still need to cut the chassis sheetmetal)
Put seats back into car.
Install the sideshifter shift bar that goes from transmission to firewall.
Run new throttle and clutch cables
Put new bearings in rear trailing arms
Install brakes front and rear
Install new Bilstein inserts and rear shocks.
Maybe put new bushing in trailing arms.

fiacra, Sunday would be perfect..gets me out of going to picnic as well.

Thanks all and no more fussing please. beerchug.gif

OK, I'm there. Just let me know where and when. I think you can email me but if not just PM me and I check in later. Looking at your list of tasks I'm not sure how much help I can be on lead, but as second pair of hands, tasks with some supervision...I should be able to contribute. Most of my experience is on VWs. On VWs I can pull engines, do clutches, brakes, wheel bearings, other basic stuff, and I don't mind getting greasy. As I said, I'm new to 914s, but I'm jumping in with abandon! @markhoward I can easily coordinate with you to pick up the trailing arms. From my house I can be in San Rafael in 20 minutes or so. So, count on me for Sunday.
SirAndy
I could probably schwing by for a bit on Sunday if you guys give me a time ...
idea.gif

Mueller
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Aug 28 2019, 02:21 AM) *

I can do your wheel bearings and shocks/struts, but you'd have to send them to me!

Thanks for the offer, happen to have a press , just have not done anything with it.
Mueller
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 28 2019, 07:03 PM) *

I could probably schwing by for a bit on Sunday if you guys give me a time ...
idea.gif

Anytime Andy, I told my wife to make sure I am out bed and into the garage no later than 8. Noontime is fine. Thanks.
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 27 2019, 12:34 PM) *

Mike,

So this weekend?

Is there physically anything you need? Parts/tools/ect?

Do you have a checklist done yet?

Yep, 30th to the 1st.

If you cannot make I understand and hold no grudges.
euro911
If you feel compelled to help out an aging 914 enthusiast, it's only been in the high 80's up here, @Steve laugh.gif

poke.gif
ValcoOscar
Mike-

I have lots on my plate at the moment so sadly I can't get up there to lend a hand that weekend.
Parts I have so if you post a detailed list I'm sure we can all pitch in.
Shipping to you is no problem.

Oscar
markhoward
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 28 2019, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Aug 28 2019, 02:21 AM) *

Thanks for the offer, happen to have a press , just have not done anything with it.

Sounds good! @BuddyV should be able to drop them if Friday is on. Will coordinate with @fiacra for the trip back. Will do my best to turn them around in a day..
Steve
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 29 2019, 01:27 AM) *

If you feel compelled to help out an aging 914 enthusiast, it's only been in the high 80's up here, @Steve laugh.gif

poke.gif

In 6 years when I retire, I hope to take more road trips!!!
All I need is a couch!! poke.gif
euro911
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 29 2019, 08:17 AM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 29 2019, 01:27 AM) *

poke.gif
In 6 years when I retire, I hope to take more road trips!!!
All I need is a couch!! poke.gif
Psssst ... I'm currently limping around with a pinched sciatic nerve in Southern CA happy11.gif

I'll start my own 'Help Wanted' thread shortly type.gif

shades.gif
Andyrew
Im feeling better, Count me in for Sunday!

I'll probably get up early and want to make an early start to the day, buuut I still will likely make breakfast for the family so I'll head out around 8:30-9.

Mueller
Thanks Robert (BuddyV) for installing my transmission linkage. I tried to lay down on the ground and now with 2 frozen shoulders the pain was too intense.

Robert dropped them off to Mark Howard and he offered to to the bushings and bearings I supplied. He even offered to have to them powder coated which will be nice since the finish and light rust is a little ugly.

Thanks.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 31 2019, 08:14 AM) *

Thanks Robert (BuddyV) for installing my transmission linkage. I tried to lay down on the ground and now with 2 frozen shoulders the pain was too intense.

Robert dropped them off to Mark Howard and he offered to to the bushings and bearings I supplied. He even offered to have to them powder coated which will be nice since the finish and light rust is a little ugly.

Thanks.

beerchug.gif @BuddyV and @markhoward are a great team...glad they helped out.

beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif

Oscar
euro911
beerchug.gif
Dominic
Mike,
I can make it over Sunday morning, just text me your address. Let me know what tools you need?

Cheers,
Dominic
EdwardBlume
What time and where? (I don’t remember). Any tools needed? Chow?
Mueller
Sandy (Seaside6) came up from down south and he installed my seats and brackets into the car.

I bought these seats with no rails so after installing them on the wrong side or backwards we finally got it right.

My mill was put to use, on my old seats the rail broke off due to rusty hardware. I had 2 stuck screws that I milled off.

Thanks Sandy!

Rob, anytime after 8 still have my address?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Sandy (Seaside6) came up from down south and he installed my seats and brackets into the car.

I bought these seats with no rails so after installing them on the wrong side or backwards we finally got it right.

My mill was put to use, on my old seats the rail broke off due to rusty hardware. I had 2 stuck screws that I milled off.

Thanks Sandy!

Rob, anytime after 8 still have my address?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Cool.

I don't see a parts list.

Anything you need / I have is free. I can also bring some old wax and we can buff your paint...
sixnotfour
Nice seats..gogo....
Chris H.
Man this is an ALL STAR TEAM heading up to Mueller's! Hope you have a great day guys.

SirAndy
Looks like i'm out, sorry ...
sad.gif

anderssj
Wrong coast or I'd be there... sad.gif
fiacra
Helping to push one of the nicest people you will ever meet a few feet closer to the finish line.....
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Well it was a great day! I forgot that Mike has real A/C in his garage (insanely jealous).

Mike took inventory of what was done I'll let him post it.

It was great seeing everyone!!

I'll post what I see needs to be done prior to completing jt.

MANDATORY:

Finish radiator lines - need to connect main lines from the radiator. Also need to connect the lines to the overflow tank, but a T is needed to go from the 1" lines to the overflow lower (Large) drain.

Finish throttle cable - need to make bracket and need adapter to connect to the factory cable line.

Finish clutch cable - need to run cable to trans and adjust.

Finish hard fuel lines

Mount fuel tank and run lines under tank

Mount fuel pump

Run fuel lines

Wire fuel pump

Wire fans

Finish front brakes

Install rear trailing arms and shocks - Install coils on rear shocks

Finish rear brakes

Finish radiator support and ducting

Install CV joints

Install wheels

Tape measure alignment.

NOT MANDATORY

Clean up all wiring and loom

Brace shock towers with bar

Clean up sharp edges

Dominic

Mike,
We all had a great day working with you on your 914 smash.gif Met some new 914 peeps, as always a great bunch of enthusiasts! beerchug.gif

It was good to see you and your family today.

Cheers,
Dominic
Mueller
Wow Andyrew, how did you remember all that?

Huge thanks to Broheen, Dominic, Rob and of course Andyrew.

So much work done today , not sure how I'll ever repay you all.

No pics of Andyrew, under the car most of the day.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
Work done that I can think of right now.

Old struts removed, shocks totally shot.

911 3.5 spaced struts with brand new green Bilstein inserts (boge struts)

I was a little heavy with the paint which caused Dominic some pain, luckily I had a .625 dia. endmill to use to remove the excess paint in the ball joint hole.

Factory sway bar installed, holes drilled since tub never had a bar.

Pemnuts installed on the underside of the floor for the brackets to hold the 1" radiator hoses.

Overflow tank installed.

Front bumper installed.

Car waxed.

Sure other things I forgot

Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 1 2019, 10:32 PM) *

I did a recap in my build thread twice a week for about a year.. got used to it.

Also the radiator lines are mounted under the car with the brackets you had and held in with the riv nuts you mentioned.
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 1 2019, 11:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 1 2019, 10:32 PM) *

I did a recap in my build thread twice a week for about a year.. got used to it.

Also the radiator lines are mounted under the car with the brackets you had and held in with the riv nuts you mentioned.

That in itself is a lot of we work!

Oh yea, Rob bought a nice metric hardware kit and left it here for me to use, I will pay it forward for sure.

I told my wife the amount of work done and she asked if they all owned their own shops , said no just talented guys that are not afraid to work on a car and get dirty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.