Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 924 Body Styles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
There's one thats real ugly....could somebody give me a few pics of the various 924 styles....

I like the 944 body style, but i hear nothing but bad about them.
type47
i think there was only one body style, even carried forth in the 924S. 924 is like the 914.... now there is a 924 carrera or something that was a racer that has some interesting body panels but that was not a "normal" street car but a race car.
xsboost90
body was the same from 77-88, the 86-88 models were designated "s" in the states since they had the modern 944 2.5 motor and suspenion/five lug etc. Early 24's did offer a turbo 2.0 audi motor and five lug suspension. The 944 was just the "wide body" version of the 924, but once they offered the 944 in 83 they stopped shipping the 924 over till 86-88 limited production. There was a separation in the 944 body in 85.5 they changed the dash and some engine components like compression etc, and in 86 they offered the 2.5 w/ a turbo as well. In 87 they changed the offset of the wheels to the "late" offset same as the boxster etc type wheel offset as opposed to the early fuch/cookie offset. beerchug.gif
xsboost90
carrera gt/gts/gtr were very limited production and were like factory race cars. They sported bigger turbos, bigger brakes and early versions of the 944 bodywork.
xsboost90
early 924 body
xsboost90
xsboost90
euro model 924/944's had fiberglass or aluminum smoothed out looking bumpers w/ euro-side markers instead of the large rubber bumperettes, impact 5mph shocks and side markers. This is my old car w/ an early turbo front nose pan and a euro bumper
xsboost90
in 89-my car was an 89- they introduced the s2 to the states, a 3.0l engine dohc and it came w/ turbo brakes and nose/ rear valance styling. In 90 all models came w/ the turbo one piece rubber nose, turbo brakes and styling. Then came the 968 w/ the dohc 3.0l variocam engine w/ even more power, and they tried to make it look more like a 911 model w/ the round headlites and styling.

this is an 89 s2
jasons
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 29 2005, 04:12 AM)

I like the 944 body style, but i hear nothing but bad about them.

As a daily driver S2 owner, I will and have said it before. If you can stomach 914 ownership, you can stomach 944 ownership. They are starting to suffer from the same problem that 914's went through. Most of them are at the bottom of their depreciation and they are in excess of 125k miles. This means they are starting to suffer from poor maintenance and dumbass owners. That is really what causes the bad. Right now most of the 944's out there are in better shape than almost all 914's if for no other reason than lack of rust. Rust is little or no concern on these cars since they are zinc treated. The only concern is mechanical. Also, the motor is completely accessible and not down in a little hole you need a tetnous shot to crawl into.

As the owner of a 914 and a 944, I will say beyond a shadow of a doubt the 914 is the more masochistic car to own. I will also say though, the 914 is more fun.
Root_Werks
My wife has an early 944 and I have, well, rusty metal parts that sometimes ressemble a 914. laugh.gif

I would say I agree with the previous statement about 944's and 914's. I think the 944 is a GREAT car. But with them becoming older and DAPO's taking thier toll on the cars just as they did(Still do) with 914's, there will be less good ones to go around in the years to come. The nice part is yes, they don't rust. So finding solid bodies isn't hard to do at all.

My favorite's are the 951's. driving.gif

A 914 can be more fun to drive, but if you ever get a chance to even drive a stock 951, I think you should. Impressive cars.
TROJANMAN
now i want a 944 rolleyes.gif
bmcwilli
944 is just like any other 14 yr or older car. Find the best one you can afford.

I have a 91 944 S2 with 109,000 miles. The car is very solid, and I have done little to it.

I enjoy the 944 and the 914 2.0, for different reasons. The 914 is just so pure and fun, and I have a good one without a lot of issues.

The S2 is very fast, has fabulous brakes and is comfy. I can my wife and 2 daughters in it, and still have luggage room.

The 944 is great car, and a relative bargain. I paid 13,000 for mine. I challeneg anyone to get more GT/sprts car bang for buck!
Joe Ricard
What is it with dumb ass owners. I got a nieghbor that has a 83 red 928 S . He has not driven it in 4 years. I used to talk to him when I had my 78. this car is in such bad repair I wouldn't even take it for free. He sems to think it is still worth a barrel of money too. every time it rains he has to dry out the rear hatch area. windows leak. FIX it DAMN it.
Lately I just refer to it as the red car. in my book it is no longer a Porsche.

Beautiful cars also I like the later 924 and that 944 S2 is drop dead gorgeous.
jasons
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jun 30 2005, 06:31 AM)
Beautiful cars also I like the later 924 and that 944 S2 is drop dead gorgeous.

That S2 has had some work. Wheels, 968 mirrors and door handles, lip spoiler, and side molding delete. Definitely, that car looks super. It used to be one of the moderators from the rennlist 944 forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.