Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NON-914 problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I know this might be a sandbox thing, but hey help a brutha out.....I am working on my 72 VW bus. Not getting much love from TheSamba.com so I figured I could get some info from the mechanics in the 914world.

New Ball Joints. Flenner Brand. Installed into the torsion arms. Even right out of the box the BJ shafts did not want to move. No twisting, no tilting movement. Same for after pressing them in. Shouldn't I get some movement? Spinning and side to side?

sorry video is sideways... But I am pissed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTqKqdHrikU

Chi-town
They usually start that tight and loosen up after a little use
Tbrown4x4
Agreed ^^^. They can be very hard to move.
rgalla9146
agree.gif Make it three
malcolm2
Wow. You guys saw the video? I gotta use full force with my leg!

Thanks for the input. I’ll keep going and cross my fingers. Probably won’t be driving til spring or summer. I can always swap ‘em out then.

Clark
Tbrown4x4
That sets the bar pretty high, but I would work the suspension hard and retest.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Aug 28 2019, 04:05 AM) *

agree.gif Make it three

four now
malcolm2
THanks, as usual to ALL> I did pick up one recommendation from the Samba. One dude said to add more grease to the boot, which I had already done. He also said to "work" the shaft.

So I took the knuckle off and worked it. about 20 minutes per BJ. Things went back together a bit easier and the knuckle turned by hand this time.... it still took 2 hands. Anyway, the samba boys gave the same recommendations.

Drive it for 1000 miles and things will get better.

Thanks,

Clark
porschetub
They do loosen up,its the ones that are loose from new you really worry about sad.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.