Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California Sucks!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ClayPerrine
CHP Replaces aging Camaro pursuit vehicles.

CHP dhead.gif s. finger.gif
Howard
"The Boxster has 2 trunks which allows us to stash all of our police stuff" Officer Nowwegotcha was quoted as saying. "

Nowwegotcha? biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
color me skeptical...

CHP spokesman Officer Bruce Nowwegotcha...

right...

looks like a PR-special to be trotted out to recruiting drives and community events and such. show me a link on a CA-government page and i will begin to believe.

but as for your fundamental premise: agree.gif :-)
Quadlinear
Well Clay,

Gotta remember that bankrupt Kalifornia as Ahrnold puts it will suffer more using the Boxster over the Camaro when the service and annual maintainance bills for the CHIP fleet start coming in. I know I dread the service visits especially now trhat warrentee is over.
skline
That's a hoax, it's gotta be. There is no way they would ever use a convertible for a pursuit vehicle. It's not considered a safe vehicle and they are very strict about safety.
jandro62
I think the line that got me was the one about the camaros not being fully usable without a mullet.

btw, though, wouldn't it be nice to be able to buy Boxsters at used police auctions?

And, most dept. won't even consider vehicles that haven't been through the Michigan state police testing program - its the benchmark.

You know what you will start seeing? Dodge Magnum police vehicles. Seriously, already seeing them in service in a few locales. I also saw a manufacturer plates mockup of the Dodge Charger police version. Its coming too, looks mean as shit. It seems logical that they'd offer the 425hp hemi out of the SRT-8 as a pursuit motor.
ClayPerrine
If they test cop cars in Detroit and the cars survive, I can understand why everyone would want to use them. chairfall.gif If you can survive Detroit, you can survive anywhere.

Maybe the US Military should use Detroit to test combat vehicles?
Joe Ricard
Yea right 6'6" 275 lbs officer with all the stuff they carry one them ain't gonna fit in a Porsche. unles it was a Cayanne barf.gif
TJB/914
Hey Clay,

I didn't know you once lived in Detroit???? It's one tough city. I wore a T-Shirt "I am from Detroit" the last time I visited Florida. Everyone walked on the opposite side of the street when I was there. You get instant respect if they think your from Detroit.

Tom
ClayPerrine
I never lived there. My father worked for GM for 25 years. He had friends that lived in the suburbs of Detroit (I don't remember where). As visitors to the city, we were given the lecture on where NOT to go in Detroit. Even GM had info available on where to stay.

We got lost one time and my dad ran a bunch of lights to get out of a really bad section of town. The cop following him never even turned on his lights until we were in a safer part of town. He didn't get a ticket, he got a lecuture on traveling thorugh that part of town with out of state plates. ohmy.gif

Joe Bob
BS.... dry.gif

user posted image
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Sir Fartalot @ Jun 29 2005, 08:08 AM)
BS.... dry.gif

NEWS FLASH!!

THIS JUST IN!!

CAPTAIN OBVIOUS PRODUCES A STARTLING REVALATION THAT A THREAD ON THE 914 CLUB MIGHT BE A FAKE!!

DAN RATHER COMMENTED THAT HE IS "SHOCKED AND APPALED" AT THE ADUACTY OF THE POSTER. "TO POST A COMPLETELY UNTRUE ENTRY LIKE THAT IN A PUBLIC FORUM VIOLATES ALL TENETS OF RESPONSIBLE JOURNALISM".

FILM AT 11.
Joe Bob
At least I posted the pic....DUH.... cool_shades.gif
GTeener
Nah...

I just saw a CHP painted Boxster on Sunday at the Stanford Concourse.

At first I thought maybe Chris Murphy was showing off his track car wink.gif but then I saw it was the 'real deal'.

The officer told me it just just a PR thing. He says the Cameros are still the only patrol duty sports car in use.

Spose that could change... Fear the coming of the Caymen?
SLITS
I guess they're only gonna arrest pansies and females, 'cause they're gonna have to sit on their laps for transport.

When did the 150 mph Mustangs go away?
mightyohm
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jun 29 2005, 08:45 AM)

When did the 150 mph Mustangs go away?

I used to own one of those (ex CHP). Greatest car I have ever owned or driven. Nice solid ridiculously fast car.

Brando
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jun 29 2005, 08:45 AM)
[...] When did the 150 mph Mustangs go away?

'85?

I guess the Camaros really aren't good pursuit vehicles. Sending them back to Chevy every week for service can get expensive...
Duffster
chairfall.gif chairfall.gif chairfall.gif chairfall.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
grantsfo
CHP has some real cool/fast cars to choose from now. New Mustang, GTO or the Dodge Charger
SLITS
Warning....this thread started by a envious Texan, where the DPS thinks a used '63 Impala is a class pursuit car (after their horse of course) biggrin.gif
mightyohm
The CHP stopped using fox body Mustangs around 1998. I had a 1993 that I bought directly from CHP in 98, and it was one of the last ones to roll off the line.
Cap'n Krusty
Here's a REAL Porsche, not some figment of the imagination of somebody on the internet. Designed and produced by Porsche, not like some of those NARPs .................. The Cap'n
redshift
another

ClayPerrine
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jun 29 2005, 12:43 PM)
Warning....this thread started by a envious Texan, where the DPS thinks a used '63 Impala is a class pursuit car (after their horse of course) biggrin.gif

What the hell?? Do you have an inferiority complex when it comes to the size of your state? lol2.gif

I am still trying to figure out why the CHP would even bother to buy pursuit vehicles. After all, nobody has to run from the cops in California anyway. Just drive away slowly. Look at OJ, a low speed pursuit that lasted for hours!!!

Here in Texas, if you run from the cops, they chase your ass down!!! And when (not if) they catch you, they open up a big 'ol can of whoop-ass on your sorry ass.

[/I]If[/I] you get caught in California, you get a lecture on sensitivity and how you offended others by running from the cops. Then you get sent home.

SLITS
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 29 2005, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jun 29 2005, 12:43 PM)

What the hell?? Do you have an inferiority complex when it comes to the size of your state? lol2.gif

I am still trying to figure out why the CHP would even bother to buy pursuit vehicles. After all, nobody has to run from the cops in California anyway. Just drive away slowly. Look at OJ, a low speed pursuit that lasted for hours!!!

Here in Texas, if you run from the cops, they chase your ass down!!! And when (not if) they catch you, they open up a big 'ol can of whoop-ass on your sorry ass.

[/I]If[/I] you get caught in California, you get a lecture on sensitivity and how you offended others by running from the cops. Then you get sent home.

When I moved to TX in '77, I was chased down by a Jewston Poliziman. I thought there was a miss in the engine, so I opened the car up on a street in Chugarland. I could see this '63 Impala behind me a fair piece with his head lights a flashin' and the driver was leaning over fiddling under the dash (that's what it looked like anyway). Next thing I know, I hear a sireeeen.

I stopped and waited. What got outta the car looked like the old Dodge commercial county mounty. He walked up to the winder and said "Boy, we shoot people down here for less than what ya'll did" (I was speeding). Next line...How long ya been in TX from CA?...answer- 'bout 24 hours, Sir! Next line....how long ya'll plan on stayin in Jewston?....answer - I be leavin in two days, Sir!....Next line....Waallll, that's good, 'cause I never wants to see dis car on dis road again, Oh Welcome to TX
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 29 2005, 11:48 AM)
... Do you have an inferiority complex when it comes to the size of your state? lol2.gif

Reminds me of an oldie but a goodie:

Why don't Texans want the state of Alaska cut in half?
Because then Texas would be the third largest state!!

[/I]If[/I] you get caught in California, you get a lecture on sensitivity and how you offended others by running from the cops.   Then you get sent home.

Tell that to Rodney King! laugh.gif

--DD
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jun 29 2005, 02:15 PM)

[/I]If[/I] you get caught in California, you get a lecture on sensitivity and how you offended others by running from the cops.   Then you get sent home.

Tell that to Rodney King! laugh.gif

--DD

Rodney King was the very reason that California can't chase perps any more. Now all they can do is lecture you.

eeyore
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 29 2005, 01:18 PM)
Rodney King was the very reason that California can't chase perps any more. Now all they can do is lecture you.

Not true.

At least once a year some yutz from O.C. or even farther north tries to make it to Mexico with the cops on his tail the whole way.

My favorite is the guy who bailed out of his car at the border while it was still rolling. He wound up running over his own leg and getting pinned under the car. The 'lecture' he received at that point was administered by a very excited, friendly police doggie.
Dead Air
It's just a stock Boxter with a chip and a big alternator
Joe Bob
so, the big alternator compensates for the the tiny penis?
SpecialK
Okay.......the article is most likely BS. I can't think of an instance in any state that I've been in, that drove anything except Ford, Chrysler, or GM vehicles confused24.gif

But then again, I've been living in the midwest "Look for the Union Label", "Made in the USA", "Buy 'Merican flag.gif " mentality for the past 18 years.
campbellcj
FWIW, regular Crown Victoria Police Interceptors are the ONLY CHP, LASD, LAPD or SMPD vehicles I have seen regularly around here. I saw an old-school late 70's-80's LASD Caprice the other day and was like WTF?!?!?!
Maltese Falcon
Herr Gubernator would want his Austrian Pinzgauers to be the designated CHP chase trucks, maybe with the H & K roof mount option laugh.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Special_K @ Jun 29 2005, 06:06 PM)
Okay.......the article is most likely BS.

Umm, did anybody actually read the article? "Officer Weegotcha"? Puh-LEEZ! Maybe if they had named him "Officer Werejustkiddin" it would have been a little clearer?

--DD
davep
Near Windsor Ontario, across the river from Detroit, they are using Marauders as pursuit vehicles. Sort of a Mercury Grand Marquis body with Jaguar underneath. Canadian version has about 350 HP, a fair bit more than the US version. Apparently they can outrun the Interceptor model, so Ford makes them available without a governor for the police services. It was a mistake for my friend to let me drive his.
Cap'n Krusty
Okay.......the article is most likely BS. I can't think of an instance in any state that I've been in, that drove anything except Ford, Chrysler, or GM vehicles confused24.gif

But then again, I've been living in the midwest "Look for the Union Label", "Made in the USA", "Buy 'Merican flag.gif " mentality for the past 18 years.

The CHP has some Volvos, or "had' some. Not up to date on the status on the fleet. The Cap'n
SpecialK
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Jun 30 2005, 08:32 AM)
Okay.......the article is most likely BS.

Umm, did anybody actually read the article? "Officer Weegotcha"? Puh-LEEZ!

Ummmm.... slap.gif apparently not, just scanned it. But you have to admit the guy on the right looks like a "Bruce Nowwegotcha" wink.gif
GTeener
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jun 29 2005, 06:08 AM)
BS.... dry.gif

user posted image

Hey! Ya... That's the car & the officers I met at the Stanford Concourse last Sunday clap.gif
Mikey914
CHP has been using drug repo cars for years, I own a 87 944 Turbo that was used in Northern CA for some time before making it's way driving.gif to Oregon.
Howard
Reality check. How many of you thought this was real? If you answered yes, please go here and do not come back.
redshift
laugh.gif
kenporacer
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 29 2005, 05:40 AM)
Hey Clay,

I didn't know you once lived in Detroit???? It's one tough city. I wore a T-Shirt "I am from Detroit" the last time I visited Florida. Everyone walked on the opposite side of the street when I was there. You get instant respect if they think your from Detroit.

Tom

It wasnt because you're from Detroit. We figured you'd walk as slow as you drive so we were trying to get around you. Just kidding!
E
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.