Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stock 2.0 in a 70 body, green oil light - thoughts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
engine oil seems fine

I am thinking maybe the oil pressure sensor
Tbrown4x4
When is it coming on? And what is "engine oil seems fine"?
Spoke
Is this something new? I mean the light coming on or the engine in the car?

If the sensor is the only oil pressure monitor, I would feel better if there was a 2nd sensor or gauge.

Of course then the engine will tell you if there really is no oil pressure in short order...
dflesburg
it ran great for years, then last time it got turned on oil light, no oil on floor (more than normal), oil level fine on dip stick. but green light on.

Going to swap the sensor and see if still on.
Superhawk996
Swap sensors and/or test with a real oil pressure gauge threaded into the sensor port.

You could also check your pressure relief valve under the case to make sure it is clean, not scored, or gunked up and sticking.

Not uncommon for the light to start suddenly flickering especially at idle even when it didn't the day before. In my case, when that occurred on my original 1.7L it did mean it was time for bearings (and upgraded displacement!).

Think about the possibility. The day before, you were right on the ragged edge of having it turn on, but, it didn't. Then you went out and drove the vehicle, and wore just a bit more off the bearings when things were hot, loose, and the oil pressure was lacking a bit.

Next day, you fire it up and light flickers at idle.

I've been there. This is exactly how it was for me.

I'm hoping in your case, that maybe you do find good pressure at the port and a bad sensor. smile.gif

If pressure is indeed low, rebuild with new bearings before catastrophic failure occurs. Light is there for a reason.
John
Was this sorted out?

Green/red wire may be shorted somewhere to ground.

Unplug 13 pin connector in eng comp. If green light is still on, short is between connector and gauge.

Check unplugged sensor (switch) with a meter. With car off (no oil pressure), sensor will be grounded. With oil pressure, the sensor opens (no ground).

Make sure there is no path to ground to the bulb in the gauge other than the red/green wire. If the bulb socket gets the ground from the gauge, the light will always light. The red/white wire provides +12v with the key on.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.