Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 914 1.8L-Going Forward In Reverse
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ballsyfacts914
So...just got my 914, as in today and my first spin was great, all my dreams came true. Then I couldn't get it into 1st gear. After some research, thought I found a solution but then I couldn't get it out of the garage as reverse made it go forward, could get it into 1st though so got that going for me. I am a novice and I expected some issues but dang! Any suggestions?

Thanks to all in advance!
SirAndy
welcome.png

Not trying to be condescending but are you sure you know where reverse is?

R 2 4
1 3 5

idea.gif

rhodyguy
You have to push against a spring loaded plate for the R/1 plane. Push firmly to the left. You'll feel it. What you think is R is prob second. what you think 1st is prob 3rd.
wes
This is a jok right?
Mblizzard
Click to view attachment

If the shift components are worn it can be a Zen like function to find reverse.
jcd914
welcome.png

Check the shift linkage bushing, they can fall apart quite suddenly.
Check the shift linkage set screws, when they get loose finding any gear can be a challenge.
If you have a tail shift trans they are sloppy at best and any wear or play is exaggerated.

Jim
ballsyfacts914
Oh yeah, I will say I was initially confused but I know where reverse is.
ballsyfacts914
Nope, wish it wasn't.
ballsyfacts914
I appreciate all the responses, I can shift through all the gears when the car is off so I don't think it is me missing the gears, I think I need to replace some bushings, just not mechanically inclined, at least not yet, to handle such an issue.
Mblizzard
What year is your car?

Can you get into reverse when engine stopped and then start the car and get it to go in reverse?
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 29 2019, 02:11 PM) *

What year is your car?

Can you get into reverse when engine stopped and then start the car and get it to go in reverse?

1975 rebuilt 1.8L. When car is off I can put into reverse and cycle through all the gears. If I leave in reverse and start the car it goes forward.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Aug 29 2019, 11:47 AM) *

What year is your car?

1975 rebuilt 1.8L. When car is off I can put into reverse and cycle through all the gears. If I leave in reverse and start the car it goes forward.

Ok not being smart here. But if you start it and it goes forward after putting in reverse, you are not getting it into reverse when stopped.

That means something is blocking the shifter from operating correctly. Start with a little light reading!

Click to view attachment
Spoke
QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Aug 29 2019, 03:47 PM) *

... If I leave in reverse and start the car it goes forward.

Can you tell which forward gear you are in? 2nd is close to reverse and if something on your shifter is loose, this may explain some of the issue.

If you say you're not mechanically inclined, your 914 may be a bit of a hassle for you. These cars needed work when they were new and 40 years later they all need some work. I suggest to poll the guys here near you and offer some beer and pizza to come over and have a look at it.

You said you took a little drive at first. Did the transmission shift well then?

When you're in any gear, how much play is in the shifter front to back, side to side? (with the clutch out).

BTW,
welcome.png
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 29 2019, 02:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Aug 29 2019, 11:47 AM) *

What year is your car?

Ok not being smart here. But if you start it and it goes forward after putting in reverse, you are not getting it into reverse when stopped.

That means something is blocking the shifter from operating correctly. Start with a little light reading!

Click to view attachment

Perfect, thank you
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 29 2019, 03:11 PM) *

QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Aug 29 2019, 03:47 PM) *

... If I leave in reverse and start the car it goes forward.

Can you tell which forward gear you are in? 2nd is close to reverse and if something on your shifter is loose, this may explain some of the issue.

If you say you're not mechanically inclined, your 914 may be a bit of a hassle for you. These cars needed work when they were new and 40 years later they all need some work. I suggest to poll the guys here near you and offer some beer and pizza to come over and have a look at it.

You said you took a little drive at first. Did the transmission shift well then?

When you're in any gear, how much play is in the shifter front to back, side to side? (with the clutch out).

BTW,
welcome.png

I can learn but not yet ready for such an issue. I should have said I am a novice with a 914 but willing to learn. When I first drove it, first was a little iffy but overall drove great. When I went for the second drive, that was when first wouldn't engage. The third drive, which didn't happen, was when reverse was the problem. Shifter seems pretty loose, to the point where it is easy to think you aren't in gear. I have ordered bushing replacements and will start there.

Thanks again biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
You need to inspect the whole linkage. Sorta ok on the first drive and down hill? Buy a Haynes manual.
fiacra
QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Aug 28 2019, 07:25 PM) *

So...just got my 914, as in today and my first spin was great, all my dreams came true. Then I couldn't get it into 1st gear. After some research, thought I found a solution but then I couldn't get it out of the garage as reverse made it go forward, could get it into 1st though so got that going for me. I am a novice and I expected some issues but dang! Any suggestions?

I also live in Richmond, CA. I'm pretty sure I have a set of shift bushings for a side shift transmission that I haven't installed yet. If you have a side shift transmission and you don't want to wait for the new ones to come in I can probably dig those out and bring them by tomorrow morning, or even tonight. I don't get home from work until after 8pm. I PM'd you as well. And congratulations on your 914! My advice...make room for the next two biggrin.gif . It's impossible to stop with just one.....
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(fiacra @ Aug 29 2019, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Aug 28 2019, 07:25 PM) *

I also live in Richmond, CA. I'm pretty sure I have a set of shift bushings for a side shift transmission that I haven't installed yet. If you have a side shift transmission and you don't want to wait for the new ones to come in I can probably dig those out and bring them by tomorrow morning, or even tonight. I don't get home from work until after 8pm. I PM'd you as well. And congratulations on your 914! My advice...make room for the next two biggrin.gif . It's impossible to stop with just one.....

No worries, I already have some on the way and messing around with the linkage I managed to make it only go in reverse....oh boy
Krieger
Check the amount of play in the clutch pedal. If it is too loose you might have trouble getting in gear.
SirAndy
Check the cone setscrew at the shift coupler right after the firewall. When those come lose, it becomes hard to find the right gears.

Seen this many times ...
idea.gif
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 29 2019, 09:04 PM) *

Check the cone setscrew at the shift coupler right after the firewall. When those come lose, it becomes hard to find the right gears.

Seen this many times ...
idea.gif

I will try that...thank you
Superhawk996
Adjustment of all shift linkage and having all the plastic bushings in good shape is critical. Even then, 914's are the poster child for vague shifting. These shift levers have about as much tactile feedback and positive gear detent certainty as a hot knife moving though butter.

Here is my car with poorly adjusted linkage as I was just trying to drive it around the neighborhood to make sure it would move under it's own power and shift all gears while rolling.

I missed reverse twice. I drove one of these cars daily for over a decade so it wasn't like I didn't know where reverse is or wasn't pushing aside the reverse lockout/detent spring. Reverse is fickle if the linkage is not adjusted properly and/or if the coupler joint at the front of the rod is worn out (as this one was) or the cup within the rear ball coupler is worn out (as this one was).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ5_EblRToE
ballsyfacts914
OK, checked the set screw behind the firewall and the tapered screw at the back. Both tight, couldn't budge either. All other linkage connections look good as far as I can tell. However, there is a smaller dust boot at the back and that is ripped and I am thinking it may be binding when I try to shift. Should I remove for now? I clearly will need to replace and can do so when I get my bushings. Would appreciate all your thoughts?

Obviously, I need to replace the bushings which are coming and I need to work out the alignment of the linkages which I will attempt after I replace the bushings.

Any other thoughts?

Appreciate y'all and have a great labor day! biggrin.gif
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Sep 1 2019, 11:46 AM) *

OK, checked the set screw behind the firewall and the tapered screw at the back. Both tight, couldn't budge either. All other linkage connections look good as far as I can tell. However, there is a smaller dust boot at the back and that is ripped and I am thinking it may be binding when I try to shift. Should I remove for now? I clearly will need to replace and can do so when I get my bushings. Would appreciate all your thoughts?

Obviously, I need to replace the bushings which are coming and I need to work out the alignment of the linkages which I will attempt after I replace the bushings.

Any other thoughts?

If you mean the small dust boot indicated by the pink arrow....

IPB Image

...sure.

You can even remove the plastic cover over the attachment of the shift linkage at the trans if you want. Temporarily. If either is torn or damaged, you should probably replace them when you do the new bushings.
Superhawk996
Also under that big plastic cover there is another coupler.

Inside the coupler is a plastic bushing / cup that snaps onto the linkage that comes of the the transmission case. Make sure that busing is replaced too.

PanelBilly
I’ve had good luck adjusting the connection where the rod under the tunnel meets the shifter. Mark the post and connector one of those white felt pens so you have a reference point to tell you where you started. Moving it over one spline can make the difference between finding reverse or second. It a pain to work in the tight space but it can be done.
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Sep 1 2019, 02:22 PM) *

I’ve had good luck adjusting the connection where the rod under the tunnel meets the shifter. Mark the post and connector one of those white felt pens so you have a reference point to tell you where you started. Moving it over one spline can make the difference between finding reverse or second. It a pain to work in the tight space but it can be done.

Are you referring to the linkage while sitting in the car? Could you please send a pic? Also, when I attempted this previously, assuming I am correct about your suggestion, I ultimately inserted the linkage, where it connects to the shifter under the shifter, all the way in. I am assuming you mean that connection and that it needs to be adjusted?

Thanks again
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Sep 1 2019, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Sep 1 2019, 11:46 AM) *

Any other thoughts?

If you mean the small dust boot indicated by the pink arrow....

IPB Image

...sure.

You can even remove the plastic cover over the attachment of the shift linkage at the trans if you want. Temporarily. If either is torn or damaged, you should probably replace them when you do the new bushings.

Awesome, thank you
rhodyguy
To be clear. When running and you push the lever HARD to the left, you can't engage reverse? If so, you might want to take a look at the detention plate. Haynes P.89, Fig 5.27, item #14. Remove the shifter assem retaining bolts and turn the assem 90*. Remove nut and bolt (#s 5 & 7) and the shifter will lift away. This method preserves your current linkage settings. Seperating #19 from the front rod at this point just makes for more frustrationing work. Often the plate is severely worn and the plate also cuts in to the lever, compounding the slop. Clean the bottom of the lever assem with some brake cleaner. Gunked up springs also restrict the side to side motion. The ball cup bushing inside the rear cover is #25. Haynes is your friend.
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 2 2019, 11:59 AM) *

To be clear. When running and you push the lever HARD to the left, you can't engage reverse? If so, you might want to take a look at the detention plate. Haynes P.89, Fig 5.27, item #14. Remove the shifter assem retaining bolts and turn the assem 90*. Remove nut and bolt (#s 5 & 7) and the shifter will lift away. This method preserves your current linkage settings. Seperating #19 from the front rod just makes for more frustrationing work. Often the plate is severely worn and the plate also cuts in to the lever, compounding the slop. Clean the bottom of the lever assem with some brake cleaner. Gunked up springs also restrict the side to side motion. The ball cup bushing inside the rear cover is #25. Haynes is your friend.

Now the issues is reverse, as in I can only go in reverse. I am pretty sure it is an alignment issue. Thank you, if I can't realignment to work then this is on the list.
rhodyguy
What have you taken off and put back on? Other than #19 and the front rod, the connection points and positioning are fixed. Did you disengage #19 from the front rod? Remaining linkage suspects are the 2 set screws, rear ball cup bushing and bushings in the front coupler of the rear rod. Hopefully it's some piece of plastic and not deeper in the trans. Chris Folley's method of achieving the correct positioning of the #19/front rod connection point is pretty slick.
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 2 2019, 12:20 PM) *

What have you taken off and put back on? Other than #19 and the front rod, the connection points and positioning are fixed. Did you disengage #19 from the front rod? Remaining linkage suspects are the 2 set screws, rear ball cup bushing and bushings in the front coupler of the rear rod. Hopefully it's some piece of plastic and not deeper in the trans. Chris Folley's method of achieving the correct positioning of the #19/front rod connection point is pretty slick.

Yes, I have disconnected #19 from the front rod. I have messed with it quite a bit to see if I can't get it to shift correctly and I know I have twisted it a little. I have new bushings coming and have checked both tapered screws (both in tight). Based on when it did drive, I think it is an alignment issue.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback
ballsyfacts914
Also, for the front linkage, the one I can access under the center console, does rotating throw the alignment off?

Thanks

UPDATE: OK, I definitely think I am dealing with a two pronged problem, alignment and bushings. As I have already said, bushings coming. I just followed the Haynes alignment suggestions and now have 2nd and 3rd. I assume I have 4th and 5th but 1st and R are a no go. Starting there, what do you all think is the issue? Bushings? shifter? Or do I need to mess with the alignment some more?

Ah, progress.....I love my 914!!!
rhodyguy
"assume" or you've tried? I wouldn't sweat it too much til you put the the new bushings in.
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 2 2019, 04:26 PM) *

"assume" or you've tried? I wouldn't sweat it too much til you put the the new bushings in.

2nd and 3rd engaged and moved the car forward. Assuming 4th/5th are there. Based on your response I am also assuming you believe the bushings are my main issue?

Thanks again
rhodyguy
No.
ballsyfacts914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 2 2019, 06:51 PM) *

No.

Fair enough, thanks
ballsyfacts914
I wanted to thank everyone for providing tips and tricks. Finally found the issue, the busing at the firewall, indeed, quite suddenly failed. Fished it out of the dust boot and have new bushings coming.

Thanks to all again!
fiacra
QUOTE(ballsyfacts914 @ Sep 8 2019, 11:22 AM) *

I wanted to thank everyone for providing tips and tricks. Finally found the issue, the busing at the firewall, indeed, quite suddenly failed. Fished it out of the dust boot and have new bushings coming.

Thanks to all again!

Way to track down the problem! Post pictures so everyone can benefit from your experience. Lots of satisfaction in diagnosing a problem and solving it. Hope it builds your enthusiasm for your car. Post pictures so we can all see your car! clap56.gif popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.