Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilding late model VDO cluster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jett
We have a few gauges for our 75 that require rebuilding. Are there any members still rebuilding clusters?

Thanks
sixnotfour
http://seattlespeedometer.com/
Jett
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 29 2019, 03:11 AM) *

Nice, I’ll give them a try.
Specracer
Another:

http://www.paspeedo.com/
914Sixer
Did them myself. Gently removed trim rings and painted. $8 for some red dial paint. Used micro fiber cloths to clean. Replaced plastic with glass lens. Knew tach and speedo worked. Sent gas gauge to NHS to check. Repair was $125
Jett
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 31 2019, 06:43 AM) *

Did them myself. Gently removed trim rings and painted. $8 for some red dial paint. Used micro fiber cloths to clean. Replaced plastic with glass lens. Knew tach and speedo worked. Sent gas gauge to NHS to check. Repair was $125

They look great.

I have two speedo’s that are rough, NOS Tac with a rattle inside, minor cosmetics on the combo gauge and a clock from our 77 911 that doesn’t work.
FlacaProductions
Looks great @914Sixer - did you repaint the gauge panel? If so, what did you use?
914Sixer
Rattle in tach is usually a bulb. Lots of shaking and patience will get it out. I may have a NOS clock movement that will work in the 77 clock Have to see back of clock. Just look at the mounting points, not the back plate.

Panel was painted with high temp Krylon. Since it has been over 100 degrees everyday, I let the sun bake the finish on.
Jett
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 31 2019, 08:25 AM) *

Rattle in tach is usually a bulb. Lots of shaking and patience will get it out. I may have a NOS clock movement that will work in the 77 clock Have to see back of clock. Just look at the mounting points, not the back plate.

Panel was painted with high temp Krylon. Since it has been over 100 degrees everyday, I let the sun bake the finish on.

cool, do you have more pictures of the clock?
914forme
@914Sixer is right, pretty easy. Even the Speedos are not hard, but can be a bit of an aggravation.

Fuel gauge is easy to test with resistors. ) full, 90 empty, sweep between the two moves the needle.

Most of the time, a bulb has fallen out that makes the rattle.

Speedo the gears fail. Atach the shaft to a Dremel, and the proper sized square bit, and you can spin it fast enough to test to see if everything is moving.

Plastic for glass.

Trim Black is better than Gloss unless your into that sort of thing.

Not hard, bellow in my sig is how to take these part and put them back together again. If it is not I have written enough on the subject that it should not be hard to find the ramblings of this screwy.gif

Seattle Speedo is doing very high end builds now, shades.gif they do great work, you will see them photographed in tons of builds on high end 911s that where reimagined. And if I did not know how it was done, I would give them my business.
914forme
The clock is normal a solder joint and maybe a few caps.
Jett
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 3 2019, 05:20 PM) *

@914Sixer is right, pretty easy. Even the Speedos are not hard, but can be a bit of an aggravation.

Fuel gauge is easy to test with resistors. ) full, 90 empty, sweep between the two moves the needle.

Most of the time, a bulb has fallen out that makes the rattle.

Speedo the gears fail. Atach the shaft to a Dremel, and the proper sized square bit, and you can spin it fast enough to test to see if everything is moving.

Plastic for glass.

Trim Black is better than Gloss unless your into that sort of thing.

Not hard, bellow in my sig is how to take these part and put them back together again. If it is not I have written enough on the subject that it should not be hard to find the ramblings of this screwy.gif

Seattle Speedo is doing very high end builds now, shades.gif they do great work, you will see them photographed in tons of builds on high end 911s that where reimagined. And if I did not know how it was done, I would give them my business.

Thanks for the advice.
Minerva's 914
https://www.amazon.com/SEM-39143-Trim-Black...eway&sr=8-6

SEM 39143 Trim Paint is a perfect match, just the right amount of sheen.
Jett
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 29 2019, 03:11 AM) *

Just got them back from Buz and they look great.
porschetub
I do all my own cosmetic work as I really like removing the bezels headbang.gif headbang.gif lol-2.gif .
Added LED strips and cleaned and then cleaned,good result in the end,lots of work but worth it,done 5 now.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 3 2019, 08:25 PM) *

The clock is normal a solder joint and maybe a few caps.

Just a note the solder joint in the clock is special low temp solder. you could solder with normal solder but you will no longer have the clock "fuse" functionality to protect the vehicle wiring.

I got my mechanical mechanism clock working and through trial and error and found a typical 1/2A glass fuse that would work but was close to blowing each time the clock cycled but never did. In my case, I ended up doing the final fix with low temp solder.

See page 2 of my build link below.

Quartz clock would probably be different with respect to current draw. I have no experience with that one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.