Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint / axle movement in and out...how much?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeInMunich
...when going slow AND turning left. Otherwise not at all. Clunks, 3 or 4, from the driver’s side, rear. Sounds as if something like the heat exchanger was resting on the trailer arm and then bounced when going over a bump. I KNOW this is not the sound and that it’s not possible. Just describing!

So, is there something up with my rear wheel bearing?i just changed out the CV joint bearings! Could it be one is already faulty?!

Interested in your opinions.

Danke!

M.i.M.
gereed75
CV can clunk and kinda bang if they are going bad but also if the Allen head bolts are loosening. This is likely after a recent replacement. Often times they are not tight, or lock washers are missing or ??

Happens most often in turns. Easy to tell, just take a look under there and loose ones are very apparent
falcor75
+ 1 on cv joint bolts or that the circlip holding the joint to the shaft has come loose.
BeatNavy
CV sounds likely, but also inspect the trailing arm bushings on that side. Jack rear wheel up and grab it on the sides and see if there's play.
EdwardBlume
I lost my CV on the pass side doing 60+ on the freeway. Sounds like a bunch of metal pops and no power when its totally gone but the engine still runs great!
ClayPerrine
I lost a CV joint leaving a traffic light years ago. The joint hit the shift arm. I rolled off the side of the road, and sat there for a while letting it cool down. Once it cooled enough, I crawled under it and screwed the bolts back in finger tight. I was fairly close to home, so I drove it back to the house. The bent shift rod only allowed me to get second and third. So I stayed off the freeway and took it slow.

Just another waypoint Betty and I use for navigation now. "Do you remember the intersection where I had the CV joint come loose?" biggrin.gif
MikeInMunich
So, I just got under there. Bolts are not mega loose, but I’m not sure if they’re loose at all because I don’t have the correct tool at hand.

Question! How much play should there be in and out for the axle? They both move in and out quite a bit!
dlee6204
My vote is on a missing C Clip. Can you replicate the noise by moving the axle in and out? It could also be bad CVs.
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Sep 6 2019, 01:33 AM) *

My vote is on a missing C Clip. Can you replicate the noise by moving the axle in and out? It could also be bad CVs.

Thanks for your reply!

The bolts are not loose.

When the bearings were changed a few weeks ago there was no original C clip available. One was used, but not one that was specifically for this application.

Assuming those clips failed, do ya reckon I am now dealing with damaged bearings and will need to replace them again?

Also, how much play in the axle should there be, in and out? I have about a full inch!

M.i.M.
jim_hoyland
Good Question, "Also, how much play in the axle should there be, in and out? I have about a full inch! "

When my 914 is in the shop, the mechanic will grab the shaft and feel the amoun of lateral play; always wondered how much there should be. popcorn[1].gif
914Sixer
Stub axle keeps the bearing in check, they should be good. I am using full floating axles and they slide back in forth in the CV joint on both ends. Clunking should be a CV bad joint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.