Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 550 Spyder Paint Color Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkb944t
I have been working on restoring a Beck 550 Spyder that my son and I got a few months ago. It could use a new paint job so this is where the poll question comes in.

The majority of the 550 Spyders are painted silver but the green actually looks very nice. Since we are repainting it and will most likely be selling it eventually should we stay with green or change it to the typical silver?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jeff B

Andyrew
Probably get more buyers at silver, might have a buyer looking for that odd color willing to pay slightly more for green...

Toss up.
Big Len
Don't like the green. Makes it look British.
TravisNeff
How about a more vintage looking green.
rhodyguy
If you go green, go Irish Green.
Literati914
..IF.. you go silver, you should add some of the race team stripes to the top of the rear fenders. But I'd paint it Mexico Blue !!
Literati914
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Aug 29 2019, 12:02 PM) *

DUDE !!!! Is that my frickin' old 914/6 sitting there next to your Spyder ?!?!?!?

Your name is "Jeff B" !!, I just started a thread a few days ago trying to locate my old /6 conversion:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...220&hl=Byrn

Would that be you or not?

Optimusglen
Since it's not a real 550 I feel like you've got lots of room. If it were me, I'd do a metallic green, maybe Oak Green. Or even a midnight blue would compliment the lines nicely and make it stand out from the crowd in a calm, controlled, manner.

A few thoughts:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
burton73
Go Bluesh/silver

You asked

Bob B
Unobtanium-inc
I'm going silver, when I finish the car...

The green is cool but pretty taste specific, silver sells best, followed by white. If you're going for re-sale, go silver, but you could add fender darts in green to make it unique.
thelogo
Definitely white
...... Cooler in the summer

Or wrap raw metal color ...but not sure wrapping a 550 is wise
jkb944t
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Aug 29 2019, 02:58 PM) *

QUOTE(jkb944t @ Aug 29 2019, 12:02 PM) *

DUDE !!!! Is that my frickin' old 914/6 sitting there next to your Spyder ?!?!?!?

Your name is "Jeff B" !!, I just started a thread a few days ago trying to locate my old /6 conversion:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...220&hl=Byrn

Would that be you or not?

Sorry but it is not your old car. I bought it in 2004 and did the restoration on it including welding the steel fender flares onto it. The color is actually Phoenix Red and the restoration thread is at: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=340273

Jeff B
sb914
My neighbors Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
914-300Hemi
It looks stunning in silver with the back fenders painted red or blue.
1970 Neun vierzehn
I'd do this. (this pic is the real thing, from a Porsche Parade)
burton73
QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 30 2019, 04:51 AM) *

This is the Blueish/silver I was saying.

I like this a lot.

Bob B
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(burton73 @ Aug 30 2019, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(sb914 @ Aug 30 2019, 04:51 AM) *

This is the Blueish/silver I was saying.

I like this a lot.

Bob B

I think that Bluish silver must be a Beck personal thing, most of the real 550's are more of a white silver.
Dominic
The Silver-Blau looks so much better than plain silver. My car is painted in Silver-Blau and it looks so much better than my friends Spyder which is painted Silver.
These are a few pics of my Spyder...

jkb944t
Thanks to everyone who have added their input since it is very much appreciated! I hadn't even notice the silver vs. the blueish silver which would be another decision to make if we change the current green color.

I do think the blueish silver adds some depth to car’s beautiful lines. Is this blueish silver a Porsche color?

Jeff B
Ferg
I like the green or if were me I'd pick a rare period Porsche color to your liking from that period. Lot's of rare 356 colors to choose from.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 5 2019, 11:26 AM) *

I like the green or if were me I'd pick a rare period Porsche color to your liking from that period. Lot's of rare 356 colors to choose from.

I like black with a red interior.
Unobtanium-inc
I think that must be Beck's signature silver, I have a door that I'm pretty sure is off a Beck and it's the same color.
PCH
Check out the 550 colors in this story:

https://bringatrailer.com/2019/04/21/must-s...ospheric-color/

Clink on the intro for the rest of the story
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.