Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: insurance question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frankieshooz
I'm sorry if this may have been addressed before but cant find any info so I thought I would poll you guys out there..
I'm frustrated that I can't seem to find any company, save one (SafeCO, who have a terrible rating BTW) to insure our older 914 at an agreed upon value for cars that are DRIVEN on a regular basis. This means covering our cars with regular insurance at insurance market value (basically worth nothing).
So with all you guys out there with highly modded cars , high end restorations, and just love for our cars what do you do?
I tried a bunch but they all said all I could do was trailer the car to shows. They wouldn't cover any situation that meant driving???WTF??? what's the point of having a car you can't drive...
I feel, as Im sure many of you do that our cars are worth much more than what the insurance companies assess value at...
BPic
I use https://www.hagerty.com/

Pretty inexpensive and they work with you on value.
Dion
I had Hagerty on my ‘92 GTi before I sold er. I had an agreed value on it as well. agree.gif
jdamiano
Hagerty and I just went with the max they would do on my car. 45k for just under 500 a year. Wasn’t much more than adding it to my Gieco policy and no telling what they would give me if some texting teen smashed into me.
mepstein
American Modern. Classic car insurance for occasional use, even to work but I must have a daily driver and keep it in a garage at my house. I have two 914's and two motorcycles under this policy. They are all registered as antiques.
SteveL
Switched to Hagerty this year. Less expensive than Liberty Mutual or Progressive, with much better coverage. Very happy so far.
Dredwin
I also switched from American Collector (who works with USAA) but they were more expensive than Hagerty so I switched. I have 2 914's insured for around $600 and American Classic was in the $800 range.
mmichalik
I have both of our 914s insured through StateFarm with an agreed value of 12k each right now.
Coondog
American collectors insurance 100K policy 562.00 per year.
burton73
QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 30 2019, 09:40 AM) *

American collectors insurance 100K policy 562.00 per year.

I had American Collectors for years but they would not increase my insurance above $50,000 to agreed value till it was back in Los Angeles in my garage. Hargerty was fine with the car at PMB and kept increasing it as much as I wanted as it is getting finished. We are at $125,000 right now. They look at my build blog to make sure I am not fibbing.

The one problem with some people and cars they said it has to be garaged. When I wanted to insure the 1970 4 that I bought they said no even as it was in a locked gated parking area.

My 74 V8 car is also insured with Hargerty.

All in all, I am very happy with them.

Bob B

mepstein
The garage thing isn’t as big a deal with us east coasters since leaving it out will damage it faster than a teenage boy in his dad’s corvette, sexting his girlfriend
jmitro
Hagerty insurance, $470 for a year with $35K agreed on coverage
jim_hoyland
I use Hagarty too; two csvaets though.
1. The medical coverage may not be the same as your other car policies. I called them to find out more. They said state regulations put a limit on the medicalCal coverage they can allow
2. If you carry an Umbrella policy with the company that covers your home, cars, etc; the umbrella policy may not extend to incidents involving the 914. Your agent can tell you whether it's in or out.
pvollma
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 30 2019, 08:51 PM) *

2. If carry an Umbrella policy with the company that covers your home, cars, etc; the umbrella policy may not extend to incidents involving the 914. Your agent can tell you whether it's in or out.

My umbrella policy is with USAA, with $300K limit required on car insurance. Hagerty offers $250K or $500K. In order to include the 76 914 and 03 Lincoln Town Car on the umbrella policy, I had to get the $500k limit on my Hagerty policies.
jim_hoyland
Since insurance is governed by Each state; I suspect the coverage could very.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 30 2019, 07:40 PM) *

Since insurance is governed by Each state; I suspect the coverage could very.

thelogo
You know what capitalism is (insurance)
Getting f#cked piratenanner.gif " tony montana

Grundy has always served me well

///\\\\\
100k 914 ? Ok but

How do you get the keys out when your wearing a straight jacket ....screwy

Or how do you work the pedals when your wife has your balls in a vice ?
rjames
I also have American Modern Classic car insurance for occasional use. Agreed upon value- $14k I think, but I need to verify that. Annual cost is $225.
infraredcalvin
Another fan for American Modern, switched from hagerty, after 2 years rates kept going up for no additional coverage, Leland West is recommended with PCA, they’re a broker, set me up with American Modern.

Finishing up a claim now after getting rear ended in my new to me 914. So far they’ve been very easy to work with.
mepstein
My annual bill for American Modern is $212 for both my 914’s. I just put two motorcycle on the policy for $130/yr.
Tdskip
Hagert, Hagerty and then more Hagerty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.