Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need recommendation on rod small end bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Superhawk996
I ordered a couple sets of rod bushings from AA Performance but these seem to be rolled from flat stock with some sort of dovetail locking feature built into them.

Click to view attachment

Originals already in the rods seems to be some sort of seamless brass. The AA Performance look to be maybe steel backing with babbit material overlay?

Wondering if anyone has experience with AA performance small end rod bushings? Checked AA and I think they are basically the same design (with dovetails).

I also see AA has KolbenSchmidt listed as well as Genuine Porsche but I cannot tell from either of those pictures on-line if they are seamless (I think I see seams) or basically same design as AA Performance.

I'm tempted to send off a set to my local machine shop and see how they look when finished, drilled, and honed. Not really concerned about the dovetails since there really is no way to have them come "unlocked" once the bushing is pressed into the rod but I hate to do this twice.

Recommendations?

@Mark_Henry
dr914@autoatlanta.com
just buy the good german brand and have your machinist ream them

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 30 2019, 07:57 AM) *

I ordered a couple sets of rod bushings from AA Performance but these seem to be rolled from flat stock with some sort of dovetail locking feature built into them.

Click to view attachment

Originals already in the rods seems to be some sort of seamless brass. The AA Performance look to be maybe steel backing with babbit material overlay?

Wondering if anyone has experience with AA performance small end rod bushings? Checked AA and I think they are basically the same design (with dovetails).

I also see AA has KolbenSchmidt listed as well as Genuine Porsche but I cannot tell from either of those pictures on-line if they are seamless (I think I see seams) or basically same design as AA Performance.

I'm tempted to send off a set to my local machine shop and see how they look when finished, drilled, and honed. Not really concerned about the dovetails since there really is no way to have them come "unlocked" once the bushing is pressed into the rod but I hate to do this twice.

Recommendations?

@Mark_Henry

Superhawk996
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 30 2019, 11:06 AM) *

just buy the good german brand and have your machinist ream them

Hmm. .. .. are they brass or same steel with babbit overlay?

And you'll throw in a set of front turnsignal lens gaskets?

exact duplicates of the original front 914 turn signal seal that fits onto the turn signal body. Two free with a 25.00 order until sept 30 2019 just mention it in your order notes, 91463195710 shades.gif

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com
Mark Henry
When your machinist hones them to the correct pin size they will be bronze.
They're a bit under size ID, they have to be honed, the silver is just a babbitt coating.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 30 2019, 11:50 AM) *

When your machinist hones them to the correct pin size they will be bronze.

Thank you Mark! I have to do two sets of rods so maybe I'll proceed with 1st set and then take a look and then decide on whether to order a set of KS bushings. I just didn't like the idea of it being soft babbit material over steel.

Doc, I'm not going to write off the KS bushings yet but I'm sure I'll find some other excuse to claim a set of gaskets.
Mark Henry
The factory bushings have a seam as well, hard to see, ask for the old ones back and you'll see the seam.
Superhawk996
Rods and bushings dropped with my local machine shop. They didn't seem concerned and seconded the opinion that most have some sort of seam.

I usually only handle the finished product when final honed so this was the first time I've had to source the bushings.

Thank you for the advice. We'll see how the final product looks, measures, and fits, and then go from there. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.