Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is this a good idea?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=46100

wouldn't this get too hot for the wires in that area? huh.gif and which gauges will it work with?!
seanery
I like the idea, but not the location. I don't know about a wire hanging down there.
tat2dphreak
that's the way I feel also... of course I think the "taco plate" is almost in the same place.... so, I dunno! confused24.gif

also, is it better to monitor head temps or oil temps? (if you can only choose one)
SirAndy
actually, the ones i like even better is the oil-temp sender that replaces the oil-level dip-stick.

they come in different length and you can adjust them to your needed length and the wired come off the top of the stick.
pretty handy, used them on all my VWs ...

Andy
tat2dphreak
ok, pardon my dumbass-ness but how would you check your oil if you replace the dipstick with the sender? and where do you get these?
SirAndy
the sender IS a dip-stick rolleyes.gif

looks just like a dip-stick, but has a bi-metal temp sender built into the tip ...
the wires run inside the stick and exit on top.

dunno, where to get them around here, haven't seen any, but you can get them in germany at any car parts location ...

Andy
tat2dphreak
OHHH!! that makes sense... but still have never seen one sad.gif that would be cool...
seanery
I agree, it would be cool.
Part Pricer
Hmmm...

$29 starting bid, $32 Buy It Now...

Damn, with a deal like that why would I want to pay only $11.95 for it? rolleyes.gif

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=836
tat2dphreak
does that one screw into the drainplug?

also, I still think it would get too hot for the wires... they are bound to touch the engine...

1 more thing... what gauges will these work with accurately?
psu914
that sender works with the after market vdo gauge that you can get from any porsche or vw parts place. i have heard that this setup is more accurate than teh stock gauge and taco plate sender. i don't really know, cuz i haven't used it. temps on the wire shouldn't be an issue, haven't heard of any problems with the taco plate and this isn't too far away, besides the oil pan doesn't get very hot, as long as you keep the wire away from the heat ex. should be fine.
tat2dphreak
cool...

I'm paranoid about temps.. I want to put a cyl. head temp gauge and oil temp in ASAP. I will probably use one of the "under the plug" kits for head temps.... but the oil temps have SEVERAL options...

-Wayne
seanery
my 72 doesn't have any temp guages, and I hate it. I'll probably do the plug thing, too.
I haven't put too much thought about the oil temp. I like Andy's idea.
tat2dphreak
too bad we aren't in Germany to buy those parts!!!

flag.gif
URY914
Andy,
There as a posting a few months ago (here or on PP) which talked about the dipstick sending units. I have one and thought it was a great idea, but I got shot down by several people saying they are not very accurate. If I remember right people were saying it reads low. I think Brad may have been in on this.

Paul
seanery
I don't think the exact temp is as important as knowing what's going on.
If its all of a sudden 25 degrees hotter, then you know you have a problem.
seanery
Is this the unit:
VW Trends article

IPB Image
seanery
Gene Berg part # is GB 229. It doesn' mention a gauge, but an idiot light.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 16 2003, 08:24 PM)
I don't think the exact temp is as important as knowing what's going on.
If its all of a sudden 25 degrees hotter, then you know you have a problem.

exactly! the important thing is knowing what's "normal" and noticing spikes in temprature(or drops in pressure)
garyh
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Jul 16 2003, 12:32 PM)
Hmmm...

$29 starting bid, $32 Buy It Now...

Damn, with a deal like that why would I want to pay only $11.95 for it?  :rolleyes:

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=836

That's not it. Here's the VDO part number:

VDO-323057B Oil Temp Sender, Replaces Drain Plug, Wasserboxer Vanagon 1983 to 1991 $22.50
Bus Boys

Or an even lower price:
VDO 323-055 TEMPERATURE SENDER OIL V.W. DRAIN PLUG (14mm THREAD) $11.99

FWIW, the wire from this would be about 4 inches from the stock wiring location.

The stock wire comes with a high tempreature sheath over the wire.
Mike9142.0
The Gene Berg sender turns as it get's hotter and ground's when to hot and turns on a light.
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 16 2003, 06:29 PM)
Is this the unit:
VW Trends article

IPB Image

that one only triggers a "idiot" light.
the one i had worked with standard VDO gauges ...

Paul:
i've never heard any complaints about accuracy.
one might argue that the tip of the stick is not in the same location as the taco-plate sender and therefore you get different readings, but i honestly don't know if there is a significant difference in temp readings. seemd to work fine for me on my bugs ...

Andy
seanery
Andy,

Do you know who makes them?
Do you have any friends in the homeland that may be able to locate them?
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ Jul 17 2003, 10:03 AM)
Do you know who makes them?
Do you have any friends in the homeland that may be able to locate them?

no, don't remember the vendor ...

friends? what makes you think i have friends? happy11.gif

i'll ask around,
Andy
URY914
Andy, here is the post on PP about the dipstick senders...

An Oil Temperature Gauge is the most important gauge you will ever need on your Bus or Vanagon. It should have been a factory-installed item and it wouldn't have cost that much to do it. But they didn't. We strongly recommend the installation of an Oil Temp Gauge, especially for those who put in a lot of miles on their Type 2. Acceptable Oil Temp reading should be between 190 to 210 degrees, depending the ambient temperature. 72-83 Buses and Vanagons tend to run a little on the warmer side, so an external oil cooler may be needed to bring the temp in-line. Dipstick Senders are not recommended for the Type 4 style engines (72-83) as they are not long enough to reach into the case to accurately inform you of both the oil temperature and correct oil level. In addition, our experience has been when using a Dipstick Sender that it can be very inaccurate (reading temp too high). Oil Plate mounted Temp Senders are usually more reliable for an accurate reading. On upright engines, the Oil Plate Sender IS NOT to be mounted in place of the drain plug - the sender probe will hit and dimple the strainer, restricting the oil flow. You must follow the instructions provided with the sender to drill the plate offset from the drain hole to prevent this. Temp Senders are sold separately. All gauges are 2 1/16" Diameter. Note: If you're a sharp looker, you'll see that a 250F Water Temp Gauge is pictured above - This is because VDO never shot a photo of the 300F Oil Temp Gauge and it doesn't appear in any of their catalogs!

Paul
URY914
Andy,

This info came from Bus Depot's web site and was quoted by a PP member.

Paul
StratPlayer
Sent this gentlemen an email, he said that he was going to produce these for the 914 real soon. I use something like this setup on my harley.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2424011988
seanery
My buddy used to have one on his softail springer. Worked pretty well.
The only downside to this in a car is that you can't read it while driving.
URY914
If you hade a mirror or two you could see it. beer.gif

Paul
cha914
You can get the dipstick sending unit for a vdo oil temp guage here in america:

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewprodu...LGU0017&cartid=

just scroll down to "dip stick" for the sending unit... 48bucks...

HTH,

Tony
seanery
This is the response I got from the seller of the auction that Strat posted:

---------------------------

Hi Sean,

We are working on one for the 914/912E right now!! It should be ready in two
to three weeks. We are just waiting for the face plates to come in.

Thanks
Bob Futterrer
MainelyCustomByDesign
SirAndy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 17 2003, 10:35 AM)
Dipstick Senders are not recommended for the Type 4 style engines (72-83) as they are not long enough to reach into the case to accurately inform you of both the oil temperature and correct oil level.

huh? they're adjusteable in length and i recall that it was actually at least 3-4 inches too long (before adjusting) ...
they might read higher temps, one would think that the cooler oil stays on the bottom.

Andy
StratPlayer
Well I bit the bullet and ordered an oil cooler thermostat, I just brought the car to the shop, having cam, lifters replaced. Now is a good time to mount the thermostat. I plan on this car going on a trip to Wash. Vancouver Island, then 101 down the coast to San Fran, then east towards home. 76 2.0 nepal orange. Leaving Salt Lake on the 2nd of August, going to the San Juan Island spend the night then next day off to Vancouver Island.
Aaron Cox
what is most important
a) oil pressure gauge
cool.gif oil temp gauge
c) cylinder head temp gauge

I want all three- but porsche only thinks that oil temp is good enuff to be in the center console mad.gif

clock? we dont need no STEEEEENKING CLOCK! or no voltmeter thing!
StratPlayer
I have all 3 of these gauges in the cockpit of the car, oil press, oil temp, and cyl head temp. smilie_pokal.gif MDB2.gif

Oil press and oil temp in the center console, cyl head temp on a gauge pod mounted on drivers side pillar.
Aaron Cox
yeah- but they look really dopey with the "stepdown ring" unless you make a new console face smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mike9142.0 @ Jul 16 2003, 08:31 PM)
The Gene Berg sender turns as it get's hotter and ground's when to hot and turns on a light.

Hmmm.... My big type 1 VW (bug) secret!
I machine the Gene Berg 1/8th NPT shorty temp sender into every Hipo longblock I sell. I have never had an engine come back because of over-heating.

This unit is highly accurate, it will start to flash at around 210 degrees F and will come on steady at 225 F. I don't know if the dipstick version will work on a T4, its made for a T1.
The tip of the sender should be at the 'add oil' mark.

I will be adding the 1/8th NPT shorty to my big 4 project, I will post how I do it. You can only do the shorty during a full rebuild, as machining is required.

smilie_flagge24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.