Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bjheil
I have some rust repairs to do on my 1975 2.0. Where is the best place to take it in the mid-atlantic?
BeatNavy
How extensive are the repairs?

I just got a tour of CPR East in Easton, MD last week (after meaning to do it for years). They have very nice shop with full metal fab, paint, and other services. Seem like good guys, but I don't imagine they are cheap. They also (of course) focus mostly on 911's, 356's, and 912's. Mark (mepstein) is also very familiar with a shop in Eastern PA (I think) that knows all Porsches. He might have recommendations. I don't think Chris at Tangerine is currently doing repairs.

The options among those who REALLY know these cars are limited.
bjheil
I don't think they are major. Probably on the minor side.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bjheil @ Sep 1 2019, 12:09 PM) *

I don't think they are major. Probably on the minor side.

welcome.png

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

914's rarely only need minor rust repair.

Post pictures and those on this forum will be better able to assist you with the decision of whether or not it is indeed minor, and also as is already the case, to help you find a shop capable of the work.

Very few shops are really capable of doing the work required and doing it well. Even fewer that can do it affordably.

Responses will probably be slow this weekend due to holiday weekend and other diversions.
DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 1 2019, 09:33 AM) *

Post pictures and those on this forum will be better able to assist you with the decision of whether or not it is indeed minor,

X2.

The most important pictures are going to be those of the "hell hole" (the "trap" under and forward of the battery tray) and with the rocker covers removed of the longs. Any other pictures where rust is apparent would also be good. All best done with the car on a lift.
Tdskip
Welcome!

As the other guys has said, post pictures of the areas before making an appointment.
bjheil
Take a look.
DickSteinkamp
Ouch!
rjames
Definitely not on the minor side. Looks potentially terminal. More photos will give a better picture, but probably safe to say it would be cheaper to find a better car, especially true if you’ll be paying son else to do the work.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(rjames @ Sep 3 2019, 09:07 PM) *

Definitely not on the minor side. Looks potentially terminal. More photos will give a better picture, but probably safe to say it would be cheaper to find a better car, especially true if you’ll be paying son else to do the work.

agree.gif For that much rust to get to the places it has in the first and third pictures there is a lot more that you will find once you start looking. First picture most likely means rust in hell hole, bottom of firewall, and suspension console, if not rear of passenger floor as well. Clearly it's new longitudinals time.
Specracer
The sad reality of these cars, is that they rust from the inside out. So by the time you can see it, it's bad.
IronHillRestorations
You could have more expense in repairing rust damage than the car is worth, a lot more.

It looks pretty bad, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be saved, just at what cost.

It could be scabbed over, and bondoed up to get a few more years out of it, but it's not a good prognosis.
bbrock
I concur with what has been said here. Your car looks like a great candidate for a DIY project for someone who can, or wants to learn, welding and metal fabrication like I did. Even more extensive rust damage than this can be repaired fairly inexpensively, but to pay someone for the work will cost more than buying a really nice, rust free car. Sorry for the bad news. sad.gif
jdamiano
A 75 2.0 has never been worth more so depending on how much you already have in it you might be okay from a value standpoint. If you decide to fix the rust just make sure it’s done well. Crappy repairs will not hold up and only decrease the cars value. Post a picture of under the battery for more input from the group.
DickSteinkamp
IPB Image

This picture tells me that the rust is pretty much terminal.

Anything can be fixed, but IMHO it would have to end up being worth a lot more money than a 914 brings to justify the money and time.

It's tough to find a 50 year old unibody car with minimal rust...especially in the eastern part of the US. Keep looking. Consider one from the dryer parts of the US. Shipping is a lot cheaper than rust repair.

rjames
Part it out and you will probably make a good chunk of your $ back.
IronHillRestorations
Unless the suspension components are equally as corroded, you may consider finding a donor chassis and moving all the good parts from your rusty car to the new chassis
bjheil
Battery, passenger rear floor, ans driver's longitudinal.
Superhawk996
agree.gif with all the above.

There are multiple threads on this site that have started with worse.

Brent's Thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=307290

Jeff Hails Thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76791

My build is in signature - still work in progress.

Others have tread the path before. It can be done. It is not easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.