Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: six installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jetsetsurfshop
Trying to pregame with installing the -6 in my car. I't going to be some time till I get it assemble. The heads are not even sent to the machine shop yet. So I figure I have a solid year to get the car ready for the upgrade blink.gif
On to my topic description.
Ive seen the post on the lower valve cover mod. I assume that's for adjusting the valves with the engine still in the car.

I have a very large oil cooler already. I know about adding the oil tank.

Do you have to make that hole to the fan from the passenger area.

Can you leave the -4 ending mounts? I don't know why I'd want to. I just like having options.

So what can I get ready before I try to roll that thing under the car?
driving.gif
mepstein
Ive seen the post on the lower valve cover mod. I assume that's for adjusting the valves with the engine still in the car. Yes, it just takes a little grinding. It's for turbo valve covers. But when I thought more about it, Porsche recommends valve adjustment on a six every 10K. Chances are you will have a reason to drop the engine for something and you could adjust the valves then. 10K on most of our cars is a couple years of driving.

I have a very large oil cooler already. I know about adding the oil tank. Probably want a thermostat to the aux oil cooler.

Do you have to make that hole to the fan from the passenger area. No. It's for convenience in changing a fan belt.

Can you leave the -4 ending mounts? yes. They really don't get in the way of anything. They usually are removed for looks or if you are on the east coast, because they are rusty anyway.

I don't know why I'd want to. I just like having options.

There are a bunch of ways to handle the details on the conversion. Try to read through a bunch of threads to decide how you want to handle yours.
mb911
I prefer to remove the 4 mounts as oil line routing becomes an issue, I don't like to machine the valve covers either .. You will pull the engine before it needs a valve adjustment any way.
Tdskip
Call Ben to talk through it and buy what you need from him, good guy and good parts.

Here is a checklist that might be helpful;

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...322462&st=0

Jetsetsurfshop
The fact that the car is just used for the track I seem to have the engine out all the time. I thought the maybe the turbo covers didn't clear the suspension bolts too.
I think the access panel is a must. Why get frustrated? Plus, its a track car.
I'll check out some treads. Routing of the oil lines will be something I need to study.
I figured there was a longer list to get prepared for. This won't be bad, now I need to put it together!
sawzall-smiley.gif
914Sixer
Go over to the Pelican 914 Forum. Look for the article on what is needed for conversion. Covers needs pretty good.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 1 2019, 01:25 PM) *

Go over to the Pelican 914 Forum. Look for the article on what is needed for conversion. Covers needs pretty good.

good idea
mepstein
The nice thing is, besides welding in the engine mount and cutting the holes for the oil tank, there isn't much fab, welding or cutting. It's mostly bolting on 914-6 and 911 parts to make the conversion work. It's all been done before so if you get stuck, just put up a post and someone will walk you through it or have a part you need. beerchug.gif
Retroracer
agree.gif

BTW, cutting an access panel in the firewall (as the GT's did) is super helpful for things like timing checks, or anything to do with the distributor or fan belt. And, would agree on grinding off the -4 motor mounts - they just end up being in the way

- Tony
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Sep 1 2019, 05:40 PM) *

agree.gif

BTW, cutting an access panel in the firewall (as the GT's did) is super helpful for things like timing checks, or anything to do with the distributor or fan belt. And, would agree on grinding off the -4 motor mounts - they just end up being in the way

- Tony

I totally disagree with cutting a hole in something called a "Firewall". Having lived through an engine fire, I don't want anything that can allow it in the passenger compartment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.