Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Passwords are ruining this century
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
*&%$*! passwords, everytime I turn around I need a new password for something. It's hard for me to use just one consistantly because here at work I need like 3 and they have to change every so often. I've tried jotting them down somewhere but I usually end up loosing the note. Now, I need to ask an ebay seller a question and can't come up with the right password to log in and I've tried all the possibilities. Ebay sent me a dead link to change it, but it doesn't work. Will this remain the norm in the coming years, I hope not..but I guess I had better get more serious about keeping up with passwords until something changes. I've passed on signing up on so many sites because another password was required. It's making me crazy, can anyone else relate?

Doug C
Nick Pawloski
I have to update my password here at work quite often also.
A little trick for you: (Don't tell the IT guys that you do this) Use your basic password, like a family name or something, and simply update it by changing the number at the end.
ie:Gnobbleberry1 becomes Gnobbleberry2, etc. etc.

I'm sure you're not that concerned about some industrial saboteur stealing your TPS report cover sheet.

Just like locks, Passwords only keep honest people honest. wink.gif
DougC
I do that already Nick, but thanks for the tip. I've started to think lately that it actually makes matters worse..but probably not.

Doug C
anthony
It just sounds like you need to be more organized. Maybe you need a password manager program - one where you enter all the sites, usernames, and passwords. It should store them as an encrypted file so nobody could crack it and then you would only really need to remember the one password to get into the program.
tat2dphreak
I keep an excel spreadsheet of my passwords for work... 30 passwords and counting...

don't worry, the xls is password protected wink.gif
Marlow
I use a program called Password Agent (google search should turn it up, written by Moon Software). It organizes and encrypts your passwords. The freeware version will handle 25 passwords, above 25 you have to pay.

It's the best one I've found so far. It encrypts with the 256-bit AES (Rjindael) algorithm.
morph
I also have to change my password on the work computer every 90 days. I alternate between two, that way I don't get too cofused.

Hiedi
skline
I would think my Ebay and PayPal passwords would not be safe written down somewhere. Being a network administrator, my password are complex passwords and not anything to do with my name or birthday or anything like that. I use symbols and stuff that cannot be generated by any normal alogorythm. I want my personal information to remain private and not out there for the whole world to see and take my money. Password generators have been around for years, they can find your password in seconds. Especially if they are something simple like a basic word or name with numbers before or after. Financial information is highly sought after by hackers so I make it as difficult as I can for them. I change my password every 20 to 28 days.
sgomes
QUOTE (Nick Pawloski @ Jun 29 2005, 08:57 AM)
ie:Gnobbleberry1 becomes Gnobbleberry2, etc. etc.

Our new IT department will catch even that! The new password has to be "significantly" different from the last.

I also have to change my password on the work computer every 90 days. I alternate between two, that way I don't get too cofused.

.... and it has to be more than 90 days old! Can't have been used within the last 5 passwords!

I told them that since the passwords have to be complex and changed so often most people are writing them down. I can walk down the aisle and find most people's passwords in two seconds. I don't think this can be good for security....
They also recommended using the same password for everything from computer system, network, email to voice mail!
DougC
pretty soon we'll have to have a password to go to the toilet. Thanks for the advice guys.

Doug C
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (DougC @ Jun 29 2005, 01:47 PM)
pretty soon we'll have to have a password to go to the toilet. Thanks for the advice guys.

Doug C

you don't have passwords on your shitter?! that's crazy, man!
redshift
laugh.gif
bperry
I agree that passwords only keep out the honest people.

I myself refuse to change passwords on anyones's schedule but my own.
There is an easy way to defeat most systems that require frequent
password changes.
Most only track a limited number of previous passwords when
trying to ensure that your new password is not the same as one
of your old passwords. i.e. they may keep track of 3-5 previous
passwords.
So, all you need to do is change your password, then try to change
it back. If it won't allow it, change it again. Repeat this until
it finally allows you to change it back to what you originally
had.
Most systems will only track a few passwords so while its a pain
you can force your password back to what it was.

--- bill
anthony
An easy way to make strong, hard to crack and easy to remember passwords is to use a phrase. Make your password up from the first letter of each word of the phrase. For example.

phrase = 914 club.com is fun!

Password = 914c.cif!

phrase = Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.

password = Nittfagmtcttaotc.

You get the idea.
rick 918-S
I have 5 passwords before I can start to work in my company computer. That's just the begining.... screwy.gif
MattR
I have like 3 passwords. The only passwords I care about are my pin number (a number, not a word even) and my ebay account. The others I could care less... what are you going to do, check my email?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.