Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driver mirror glass replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tvdinnerbythepool
Hey guys, replacing the cracked and cloudy glass in my 1970 driver mirror.

Any tips on the removal? Nervous about the plastic ring breaking. wacko.gif

Thanks all! -Rob type.gif
mepstein
I pull the plastic ring out with my fingernail. I've never broken one. They are tougher than they look. Whatever you do, don't use a screwdriver to pry it out. It's also good to lube up the pivot points while you have the glass out. The "hump' on the back of some mirrors is from people forcing them against corroded joints.
FlacaProductions
A couple of threads:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...2&hl=mirror
@mcmark says:
You need:

two razor blades
2 small bladed flat screwdrivers
patience

You have to pry out the black plastic "ring" that holds the glass in. If you stick a screw driver under it, you'll crack up the mirror. So starting at the center of one of the wide sections carefully work the razor blade (sharp side) between the black plastic and the glass. You may have to use the screwdrivers a bit to help gain access. Once the razor blade is in, you can slide the screwdriver between the razor blade and the black plastic and twist the screwdriver to pry up the plastic. The razor blade will spread the load and protect the mirror glass. Work your way a little closer to one corner.

Once you get one screwdriver securely underneath the plastic, insert the second razor blade/screwdriver combo right next to the first and work it towards the other corner. To pop the corners out takes a little more "oomf", but if you're slow and careful it should come out without braking. Once you get one corner out it's just a matter of going around and prying it all out. Keep using the razor blade to protect the glass.

Underneath the glass there is a clear plastic spacer. I've seen some that disintegrate once you take the glass out. I this is the case, you'll have to devise some otherway to keep the glass away from the metal side and tight against the black plastic. Perhaps duct tape behind the glass? wink.gif

Lube and tighten the nut as necessary with an 8 mm wrench.

If you're clear plastic piece was okay, insert it first and then place the glass on top of it. There is a small lip that must be visible around the border of the glass. It make take a few tries and a little pick work to make it seat right. If this isn't clear, test assemble the glass and clear plastic in your hand. You'll see how the glass goes "inside" the clear plastic piece. Once those two are in, slowly and carefully push the black plastic in. Plan ahead so that the first corner you put in and the last corner you put in have a long space between them.

also:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6&hl=mirror
tvdinnerbythepool
Thanks guys!
euro911
Hell, if the mirror is already cracked/broken, who cares if it breaks more to get it out of the housing?

Just be careful when reassembling it cool_shades.gif
tvdinnerbythepool
Old mirror out without damaging ring, much more flexible than I imagined it would be after 50 years. Looking forward to being able to see...rearward...lol
euro911
I see what you did there rolleyes.gif

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.