Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weight of alternator??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Just wondering if anyone has gone down this path....I found these alt. prices start at $188 and go up to $288.....

Light weight alt.

AL-9101-A
 35 amp, 5.6 lbs.,
 One Wire Alternator
AL-9101-B
 45 amp, 6.0 lbs.,
 One Wire Alternator
AL-9101-C
 65 amp, 9.0lbs.,
 One Wire Alternator
AL-9101-D
 120 amp, 12.8 lbs.,
 One Wire Alternator

SGB
just yesterday I went looking for replacement for my shot Bosch unit. Alington Armeture in Springfield VA had a rebuild for $110, 60 amp, 3 wire, direct bolt in. Dunno if it was a bosch originally, but now it has cast aluminum mounting assy and must weigh 30% less than the old one. I've got a ph # in the garage I'll post later.
URY914
Don't use one at all biggrin.gif

Paul
brant
Mike,

so Josh in colorado (dave darlings old buddy) started down this path.

he bought a light weight racing one I think.
but mounting became a hassle, and In the interest of time and sanity I think he went back to stock.

Josh, if your out there chime in.

When we did the orange car set up, we looked at the outputs and decided to go with an alternator that had the LOWEST output. Our reasoning was that these early low output alternators probably create less drag or take less hp to drive.

another neat trick thats not too hard to do is to rig a switch into the circuit to shut off the charging system.
this doesn't reduce the dead weight of the alternator, but effectively causes it to stop charging so that there is no drag. I've played around with this once. Its like taking the fan belt off (type 4) and good for maybe 1hp.
but the beauty of the switch *hidden switch* is that you don't have to put the fan belt back on when your done and can just turn it off for qualifying and not practice.

can't say much more about it without incriminating myself.
brant
Mueller
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 30 2005, 08:21 AM)
Don't use one at all biggrin.gif

Paul

I should have seen that one on it's way smile.gif

I know some of the car manufactures are looking into starter/alternator combos...back in A&P school, I worked on an aux power unit that used the same electric motor for starting and for creating electricity...the "gas" motor was basicly just a large turbo with a sparkplug and fuel nozzel in the hot section

since I might be relocating my alt. up higher, a lighter one would be nice screwy.gif
Joe Ricard
a lighter alt would go nicely with my 12lb battery. and then I need one of them high torque starters. rolleyes.gif

I had it all worked out for the alt not charging circuit. then I read the SCCA rule book. Crap can't do that in Street mod. Some day soon I suppose I'll be in prepared and then it's "Game on".

Gotta get my door skins 1st.
jhadler
Okay, since I was mentioned by name... cool.gif

I looked at the ultramini alternators from East Coast Auto Electric (www.ecae.com), and was really jazzed about 'em. Plenty of amps, and only *6* lbs! Problem for me was that the rules for my class required me to retain the factory alternator bracket, which made installing this little beauty really tricky.

If you're gonna fab a custom bracket, then it's an ideal little goodie.

I might still try and figure out a way to use one of these someday. But for now, the motor's going back to stock... headbang.gif

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.