Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: odometer stops at 99500 exactly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, do you think it is broke or do I need to start dismantling the dash to take out the odometer to inspect it, reset it?
914forme
95% broken. Speedo needle still works?

Speedogears.com is your friend. Has to be taken apart gear most likely broken into pieces. Need to measure over size, they will tell you how on their site. Find the nearest larger size and it will need to be filed, turned, sanded, shaved to the proper size.

Put it back on, and well it is fixed. Lube it back up, test it, and your good to go.

Or if you don't think you can DIY it, just send it out to one of the many rebuilders.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 3 2019, 06:59 PM) *
95% broken

I think you meant 99.5% broken ...
biggrin.gif

914forme
dyslexia is a subtle bitch
Superhawk996
piratenanner.gif

Sounds mysteriously like my 60K car with more like 160K on it.

Just drive more. Keep a log book. Wait for it to come around to 199,500 and you'll be good again. happy11.gif

On a serious note.

The complete dash does not need to be dismantled to get Speedo out. Per previous note if needle still reads speed, then the speedo cable isn't broken and that isn't part of the problem. Your post sounded more like just the ODO stopped and in that case, yes, the speedo must come out as stated previously to get to the ODO parts inside.
orthobiz
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 3 2019, 09:59 PM) *

Speedogears.com is your friend.

Is that the exact URL for the website?

Paul
brcacti

95% broken. Speedo needle still works?

Speedogears.com is your friend. Has to be taken apart gear most likely broken into pieces. Need to measure over size, they will tell you how on their site. Find the nearest larger size and it will need to be filed, turned, sanded, shaved to the proper size.

Put it back on, and well it is fixed. Lube it back up, test it, and your good to go.

Or if you don't think you can DIY it, just send it out to one of the many rebuilders.

Hello....................spedometer DOES work still
brcacti
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 3 2019, 07:42 PM) *

95% broken

biggrin.gif

speedometer DOES still work
76-914
QUOTE(brcacti @ Sep 4 2019, 05:34 PM) *

95% broken

biggrin.gif

Pull the speedo. There is a gear that is slip fitted onto a shaft and it loses it's grip after years. You simple smack it or squeeze it along the shaft to make the gear catch and hold. There is a write up on the Pelican site describing the process in detail. I did this maybe a year ago. beerchug.gif
914forme
Odogears is the exact website
914forme
And Kent you got lucky, most I have had the pleasure of working on fell apart in my pliers or even worse were found in the bottom of the case.

New ones are made out of a different plastic (I think nylon), it will not get brittle with age that was accelerated by the lubricant used on the gears.

Hints,
tape the gears with a tape that does not leave a residue in the position you want them to stay in. Once you drop the shaft out, they can spin free, and are a pain to get back in proper orientation.

I have also been know to use another shaft to push the one out to the gears, and then when done you press the new one back into place pushing the support shaft out of place.

The ends of the shafts are swaged, so you have to make one side round again, then figure out a way to hold it in place. I have a lathe, so simple groove cut in shaft, appropriate clip mounted on the end of the shaft.

You can also re swaged the ends if wanted, shaft is not super hard, pick the tool carefully. I have done it both ways, and swaging is a delicate procedure on that tiny shaft. I have had a few times I got a bit aggressive and lopped the end of the shaft off. headbang.gif
bbrock
I'm confused. I did the same as Kent. Haven't driven the car yet but odo runs like a champ spinning the cable with a drill. The gear that needed squished was made out of metal. It just spun around loose when I dismantled the gauge but after squeezing it a little with vice grips, it went back on nice and snug. Someone told me it is a good idea to put a dab of glue on because it might loosen up again. I'll cross that bridge if it happens.
Rand
QUOTE(brcacti @ Sep 4 2019, 04:34 PM) *

95% broken

biggrin.gif

100% of the joke went whoosh right over your head. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.