Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT engine lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Demick
So I've read about making a GT style engine lid (I think I even saw instructions at one point but can't find them).

Does anyone have instructions for doing this or have good pictures of a converted lid? If I remember correctly, it talked replacing the solid section with the mesh from a 2nd donor lid. But when I look at doing this, the solid section is about 9" wide, and the mesh is about 7" wide, so I'm left with a partial solid section. I'm wondering how the extra 2" is dealt with (both placement wise as well as asthetically). Ideally, there would be a source for the mesh material so that a donor lid is not needed and the entire solid section can be replaced. Anyone know of a source?

Thanks
Demick
seanery
It's called expanded steel. I'm looking for some as well.

Lowe's & Home Depot sell some but it is too narrow and you'll be left with a similar gap as the method you describe.
Demick
I'm familiar with expanded steel, and finding it is not a problem - but finding some that closely matches the original is the hard part.

Demick
seanery
When I took my welding class this spring we had some that was VERY, VERY close, but not enough to do the whole lid.

I haven't looked for it since.
djm914-6
Go to the Pelican 914 BBS and do a search on my name (David McLaughlin) I did a how to article that never made it to the tech article pages. I even included pictures of my success' and oops'. I can't remember who bought my unfinished project while at Hershey this year.
djm914-6
Here's the GT lid I started
Qarl
I know who carries material that is VERY close... I have a catalog for them at home. I have a sample too and it looks nice. Same thickness and an oh-so-close grid size match.

The problem with most of the flattend expanded metal out there (be sure to look for flattened expanded metal) is that the diamond shape is too skinny or too long. If you get just expanded metal (and not flattened), you will get cheese grater like material.

I will be making mine in a month or two and may start making them for other people.
JWest
These guys McMaster Carr have a load of different types - aluminum, steel, titainium (ooh, ahh). Look under "expanded metal" in the "Raw Materials and Springs" section.

You can get 4X8 sheets.
Dave Cawdrey
I will be making mine in a month or two and may start making them for other people.

Put me on THAT list too, please. I have 2 complete lids, so I have 2 in on this work order.

please huh.gif
Demick
Thanks Dave - those were the same instructions that I had read sometime ago.

As Karl pointed out, most of the available expanded metal readily available has diamond shapes that are either too narrow or too long. I'll see if I can find some (maybe Karl will let us know his source). Otherwise, I'll use a donor lid.

I have access to good sheetmetal fabrication equipment at work (shear, press break, etc), so I should be able to come up with something pretty nice.

Thanks guys
Demick
seanery
Aye, Aye, Aye...the titanium sheet 36x36 is $426.00 / sheet!
Stainless aint cheap either $114.36 / sheet
Aluminum $33 / sheet
Steel $27 / sheet

I'd probably try aluminum if I bought from them.
Qarl
Okay... since you are all my friends...

http://www.hkperf.com

Go to In-Stock

Then select Decorative and then Diamond

Woohoo!! clap56.gif

It's 20 gauge in steel or aluminum.
Qarl
Oh... yes.. they will send a catalog.

The diamond pattern has the correct aspect ratio. (It's slightly off in the picture online).

It's just a smidgen larger than the stock material.
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Demick @ Jul 16 2003, 12:58 PM)
So I've read about making a GT style engine lid (I think I even saw instructions at one point but can't find them).

Does anyone have instructions for doing this or have good pictures of a converted lid? Anyone know of a source?

Thanks
Demick

Demick,
Sergio Meza builds the GT Engine Lid you're looking for.

He's got an ad in Excellence for his '87911 Carrera....
or
sgmeza@sbcglobal.net

You could try him & see if he's give you some advice/tips.

Good luck & keep us posted!
Qarl
I spoke to Sergio a while back. He wants $375 plus your engine lid and grill.

Kind of a lot, but I'm sure it's a lot of work!
Demick
Karl

That link for the diamond material is very close. Interestingly enough, it is not expanded metal, but punched sheetmetal - which is better - but probably more expensive. Have you asked about price?
Also says that it is 1/4" x 1/2" pattern. Do you know if that is the actual opening size or if it is the center-to-center paterning size. Makes quite a bit of difference. Actually, since you said it is a smidgeon larger than the original, then the dimensions must refer to the opening size. Plenty close as long as you are replacing all of the mesh on the lid.

Scott: Yes I was aware that Sergio makes these, but like it was pointed out, is very expensive. I can think of much better things to do with $400, plus for me it is as much about the project as anything else - I really don't need one, I just think they look cool.

Thanks!
Demick
Qarl
I have the price somewhere. It was reasonable... $70 a sheet or something.

But they can cut to order as well.
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Demick @ Jul 16 2003, 08:56 PM)
Scott: Yes I was aware that Sergio makes these, but like it was pointed out, is very expensive.  I can think of much better things to do with $400, plus for me it is as much about the project as anything else - I really don't need one, I just think they look cool.

Thanks!
Demick

Demick,
and like I tried to say...

contact him & ASK him for his Instructions or Ideas on How To build one.

I was pretty sure you didn't want to purchase one from him either, I also think
that $375 seems quite high.
fuch toy
I used my original lid, cut holes in it, then fitted another screen over the holes that I got from a car I sawzalled.... blink.gif
brant
just my $.02,

when I did my GT lid, I took the 2nd piece of material (from the donor lid) and used a body hammer to pound the sides and ends up into one flat piece of stock. I had to grind some of the attatchment tabs off. Then I re-bent the longth to what I wanted. I can't remember exactly, but I think I had it wrap over the ends still. Finally I put the overall dish back into the final shape.

This caused all of the paint to pound off, but after I had it attatched again I repainted the entire lid.

brant.
Blynes
I did one for my car.

Used the metal from a spare lid.

Cut the corners with a hole punch tool and did the rest of the cutting with a jig saw.

Looks factory.

Will get you a picture.

Bill
Qarl
Yes, yes... I know... the second grill method is the most common way people make their GT grills.
Aaron Cox
i think, to do it right, you would need to replace all the mesh with a single sheet. this would make it more closely resemble the factrory ones-

just my 0.2
brant
I think some of the factory cars were split grills and some were one piece... so both ways may be right.

my point about the 2 piece method was that the stock material is not too narrow if you add the extra width of the side pieces.

brant
bernbomb914
I found a lid that has 15 loovers stamped in it. I want to use it with a small oil cooler. I think it will give better weather protection along with good air induction.

Bernie driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.