Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dipstick
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Does anyone have a Vellios oil tank? And if so can you measure the length of your dipstick?

Thanks,
Rob
EdwardBlume
icon_bump.gif
IronHillRestorations
Your best bet is to calculate the amount of oil that should be in your system, and mark the dipstick accordingly. Do you have an oil cooler, and if so find the capacity, then factor the oil lines, and then add 9 quarts for most flat 6's. With 9 or 10 quarts in a dry sump system a half to a quart low isn't going to hurt anything. And of course always check the oil level with the car at operating temp, with the engine idling on a flat and level surface.
EdwardBlume

Thanks. It’s a 2.4 with no front oil cooler. Needs some oil though! Maybe I can find a stick!

Others have this tank out there. Vellios made it and PMS sold it at one time. Have an email to PMS as well. Just want to get it right!

Thanks again
porschetub
If you have a PMS filler the dipstick is too short if you use with a stock steel tank,not sure about the Vellios one,Perry's idea is best then you really know where you are.
mb911
I am now recommending to all of my oil tank customers to buy the Marek made oil fillers and then the stock dipsticks. Its the best setup.. I get a decent discount if I buy in bulk and have recently.. Sorry that doesn't help much.
EdwardBlume
Here a link to the PO’s install:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=“Oil+tank”
EdwardBlume
Still trying to figure it out. Dipstick looks on spec.
EdwardBlume
Fill mark at 3 inches
EdwardBlume
My theory on why the dipstick isn’t long enough figuratively is based on this picture. Can you spot it
EdwardBlume
Does this look right to you?
EdwardBlume
This too?
EdwardBlume
And this
EdwardBlume
I think that when this neck was customized, it either had too long of a tube replaced in it, or the neck itself may be longer.
infraredcalvin
Does the “F” represent fill - as in add more fluid, or Full - don’t add anymore? I’m used to seeing min and max lines on a dipstick.

Is your concern that the dipstick is only as long as the tube? Assuming the tube threads itself down through any baffling in the tank. It may protect against a bent dipstick getting hung up in the baffling and giving you a false reading.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.