Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PMB Performance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Morph914
Now that I have decided to convert to 5 lug Wheels, I was wondering if anyone has used this kit from PMB. I am happy with the work I have had done on all my calipers from them and this kit just seemed like an easy way to do it.
I am going to be running Fuchs 6 x 16s in front and 7 x 16s in the rear of my narrow body.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
John

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mepstein
We used it on a car where the owner wanted 5 lug but didn't need big brakes, 911 CV's, etc. Worked great since it's all there and everything fits stock. Great way to have your car 5 lugged in a day.

P.S. - The 7's won't fit a stock body unless you move some metal.
drem914
That is the system I used and it has worked out great.
Actually have 7x16" ET23 with 205s mounted on my narrow body and they just barely fit in the rear.
There is no rubbing, but have only about a 3/8" clearance with the rear fenders rolled.
Fronts are not a problem.

Click to view attachment
ndfrigi
Great conversion kit. I installed one also on my previous 75.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
I also did this conversion and have same size rims and tires- the 7” rims rubbed badly in back and blistered my paint, and then I took my car to some one who said they could roll the fender and badly damaged them, they had to be repaired by Mr Foley and Ed,
And even after all of that I went back to 6” in back because even with my fenders gently pulled and giving me an extra 3/4” I BARELY get the 7” rims and tires and with new paint I didn’t want to risk them rubbing. So yes there is a lot of variation from car to car on how much room there is,
I would say Mark is right, - be very careful, you may need extra negative camber and still have to stretch/roll them but as I found out it can be a very expensive to fix if messed up-
But the 5lug conversion was well worth it, much less $$ than doing a full 911 front end.

Phil
DRPHIL914
This is a look at how they look now , but these are 6” rims with 205/55-16” Potenza tires,
AZBanks
QUOTE(drem914 @ Sep 5 2019, 04:02 PM) *

Actually have 7x16" ET23 with 205s mounted on my narrow boy and they just barely fit in the rear.
There is no rubbing, but have only about a 3/8" clearance with the rear fenders rolled.

Click to view attachment

I have nothing to add to this thread regarding the kit but WOW, your car is beautiful!
mepstein
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 5 2019, 08:47 PM) *

This is a look at how they look now , but these are 6” rims with 205/55-16” Potenza tires,

Still a lot of tire for a 914
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 5 2019, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 5 2019, 08:47 PM) *

Still a lot of tire for a 914

Yes exactly I totally agree, I still have over 8” of tread on the ground!
drem914
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Sep 5 2019, 05:48 PM) *

I have nothing to add to this thread regarding the kit but WOW, your car is beautiful!

Thank you. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. driving.gif
drem914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 5 2019, 05:47 PM) *

Are you planning on staying with the 205/55 tires regardless? If so, with the wider wheel the tire isn't going to be wider than it is now on the 6" wheel. The distance to the fender is dependent on the ET for the 7" wheel vs. the 6" since there is plenty of room on the inside.
DRPHIL914
Not trying to spoil your fun, and some guys have been able to fit the 7” rims on there cars.
Those are some really nice rims&tires there! Just be careful when you get those put on the car.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(drem914 @ Sep 5 2019, 09:17 PM) *

Are you planning on staying with the 205/55 tires regardless? If so, with the wider wheel the tire isn't going to be wider than it is now on the 6" wheel. The distance to the fender is dependent on the ET for the 7" wheel vs. the 6" since there is plenty of room on the inside.

7’s stick out a full inch further than the 6” rims, back set is the same.
drem914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 5 2019, 06:51 PM) *

QUOTE(drem914 @ Sep 5 2019, 09:17 PM) *

7’s stick out a full inch further than the 6” rims, back set is the same.

Saw your location and wanted to know if you are okay with the rain and wind from Dorian? Is your 914 okay?

I agree there are significant enough variations in body panel clearances even from side to side. Just need to be careful.
Morph914
QUOTE(drem914 @ Sep 5 2019, 05:02 PM) *

Actually have 7x16" ET23 with 205s mounted on my narrow body and they just barely fit in the rear.

Click to view attachment

Great, that is what I wanted to hear. It seems like a no brained to me, but I like to bounce things off the World clan.
By the way, I really like your car. The color, the stance, wheels, it all looks good!

I’m hoping my 7s will fit out back, but if not, I’m not opposed to making a slight mod to get them in there. sawzall-smiley.gif And if it’s too difficult I’ll trade someone for some 6 x 16s.

Cheers,
John
Morph914
QUOTE(drem914 @ Sep 5 2019, 07:17 PM) *

Yes, planning on staying with the 205/55/16s , as this is very close to stock height.
drem914
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Sep 5 2019, 07:29 PM) *

QUOTE(drem914 @ Sep 5 2019, 05:02 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Great, that is what I wanted to hear. It seems like a no brained to me, but I like to bounce things off the World clan.
By the way, I really like your car. The color, the stance, wheels, it all looks good!

I’m hoping my 7s will fit out back, but if not, I’m not opposed to making a slight mod to get them in there. sawzall-smiley.gif And if it’s too difficult I’ll trade someone for some 6 x 16s.

Cheers,
John

Good luck and good attitude. Thanks for the compliments. The back panels on the car were rolled before I ever got the car back in '84.
Here is a better shot of the clearance. As I said, its tight, but just enough clearance to make it work.
Click to view attachment
Morph914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 5 2019, 07:19 PM) *

Not trying to spoil your fun, and some guys have been able to fit the 7” rims on there cars.
Those are some really nice rims&tires there! Just be careful when you get those put on the car.

Thank you, I will be careful. Your car is looking good! I have no problem going with the 6 “ wheel in the rear if the 7 gives me to much trouble.

I was able to buy a nice set of Fuchs at a reasonable price, so to me it was worth the risk of the 7s fitting or not.

I was looking at polished center caps for these wheels today, it’s crazy what is being asked for a reasonable set (230.00 +-). I’ll continue to look.

Thanks,
John
ConeDodger
I’ve had mine on the car since before it was a kit. Still doing fine. I suspect you’ll have to roll fenders though.
Morph914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 5 2019, 05:11 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thank you, I am sold on it. By the way, it looks like you can get one more 914 in that driveway biggrin.gif
jmitro
answer to the original question - yes, I used the PMB 5 lug conversion.
I loved the simplicity and cost effectiveness of the conversion; keeping the ability to use original axles and parking brake and front struts/spindles.
Plus I purchased their rebuilt and plated calipers. Really great product beerchug.gif
drem914
QUOTE(jmitro @ Sep 5 2019, 08:16 PM) *

I loved the simplicity and cost effectiveness of the conversion; keeping the ability to use original axles and parking brake and front struts/spindles.
Plus I purchased their rebuilt and plated calipers. Really great product beerchug.gif

agree.gif did the exact same thing including the calipers and pads.
Larmo63
There is always that one sucker who has to do things the hard way......

Click to view attachment
Garland
QUOTE(drem914 @ Sep 5 2019, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(jmitro @ Sep 5 2019, 08:16 PM) *

agree.gif did the exact same thing including the calipers and pads.

Agree, Agree, Agree same, great team there to work with. agree.gif
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Sep 5 2019, 08:03 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 5 2019, 05:11 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thank you, I am sold on it. By the way, it looks like you can get one more 914 in that driveway biggrin.gif

Sadly all those 4 are gone before we move to a smaller house. But good I have 74 Bahia red project that is parked at my daughter’s place.

one more side view shot of my former 75 1.8 Ljet (current owner Stacey “Fatboy007” member here from San Diego.) And also Dr. Philip (Dr. Phil) car that he sent me a few months ago. Dr. Phil 75 1.8 copper metallic and my 75 was originally 75 1.8 copper metallic too. Hope you don’t mind Dr. Phil sharing your car’s pic?

Wheels on this 75 blue is 6x15 with 205x60 tires.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Morph914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 5 2019, 10:19 PM) *

There is always that one sucker who has to do things the hard way......

Click to view attachment

Wow! Impressive when all laid out like that. If I had the coin, I would probably do it like this.

Cheers,
John
Chris H.
I've had this kit on my car for years. No complaints. With fresh calipers you should be pretty happy with it on a street car unless you're making serious hp. Mine has ~230. Simple to install.
BeatNavy
This is all good info. It's been on my to-do list for a while. I have 16 inch Fuchs sitting on my shelf collecting dust otherwise...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.