Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hagerty 914 valuations, 9/5/2019
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
Ready to get my project car insured, registered, finished up soon.
So got on the Hagerty website to check current valuations.
Thought everyone on 914 World would be interested in the following:

914-6

#1 concours $133,000
#2 excellent 82,000
#3 good 57,500
#4 fair 39,000

914-4

#1 concours $59,000
#2 excellent 32,000
#3 good 15,000
#4 fair 8,200

So that's definitely food for thought.
Mines a 914-6 conversion that is somewhere between #1 and #2 and somewhere between 914-6 and 914-4 (but closer to 914-6 w/o the six VIN).
Should be fun coming up with a "stated value" for my insurance coverage.

We have an excellent appraiser close by that is knowledgable about Porsches and especially modified Porsches, so I will likely drive down and drop the car off so he can come up with a reasonable valuation after I have come up with a "baseline" valuation.
DickSteinkamp
I have found Hagerty valuations to be on the high side. I suspect they use their data base of insured cars to determine their values (or at least as one factor). We generally over insure our collector cars since it is inexpensive to do so, and we proudly feel our car is worth it. smile.gif . Since we often use their valuation guide to insure our cars, Hagerty's high valuations also help keep premiums up for Hagerty.

I'm suspect of appraisers. They know who their customer is and will try their best to please them. They will generally find out what YOU think the car is worth and then come close to that (they borrow your watch and tell you what time it is dry.gif ). If they gave you a number that was far lower than yours, you would not give them a good recommendation.

The best value guide is actual sales (or the "bid to" amount if the seller has valued the car more than the market values the car).

Here are 116 914 sales on BaT.

I haven't found a way to pull out 6 conversions or other specifics, but the pool is small enough to find them manually.

I'd also be careful on how you "rate" your car. We tend to over rate cars (ours and others). Hagerty insures the first four numbers in this chart. Unless you plan to never (or seldom) drive your car and transport it to shows in an enclosed trailer it is probably not a 1 or a 2.

Again, collector car insurance is relatively cheap. It would be interesting to know how the market values your car, but for insurance purposes I would try to get as close to what you actually have in the car as possible. (many of us do, which probably helps drive up Hagerty's valuations).
raynekat
Not sure I find the Hagerty values that far off....especially for 914-6's.
JMHO
Oh....and very few if any folks own a concours car even after a fresh restoration.

Here is what their definitions say:

Concours condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."

#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

#3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.

#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non-stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.
mepstein
Doug’s car - ranekat, is at least a 2 and more likely a 1 1/2.
I think it’s hard to judge hot rods. They may look nice but be a mess mechanically - Gold GT car shown a couple months ago is one example of a build gone wrong, even though asking price is six digits.
Retroracer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 6 2019, 11:15 AM) *

I think it’s hard to judge hot rods. They may look nice but be a mess mechanically - Gold GT car shown a couple months ago is one example of a build gone wrong, even though asking price is six digits.

RE: the Gold GT: That's funny - I thought I was the only one thinking that! Details like leaving the -4 engine mounts in; using a GT front valance but not cutting out the panel to fit the cooler, amongst others.

On the plus side, the paint and mechanical work was very well executed, and the engine sounded phenomenal (I drove into Luft 6 directly behind it!).

- Tony
mepstein
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Sep 6 2019, 04:41 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 6 2019, 11:15 AM) *

RE: the Gold GT: That's funny - I thought I was the only one thinking that! Details like leaving the -4 engine mounts in; using a GT front valance but not cutting out the panel to fit the cooler, amongst others.

On the plus side, the paint and mechanical work was very well executed, and the engine sounded phenomenal (I drove into Luft 6 directly behind it!).

- Tony

They hacked up Ben's Stainless Steel headers and they rigged in a tailshifter.
sholman5
They will insure your vehicle for what ever price you want, within reason. You will just have a higher premium. PO of my 73 914 1.7 (A retired insurance adjuster)had it insured for 25k. I only paid 13k in 2016 for it and have it insured for 18k. Is it a 18k vehicle not really, but if some thing happens to it ,the replacement prices are rising for them. Yes I know that there are deals out there, but I have put time and $ into it and do not want lose it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.