Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st time dropping engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fatlando
I'm going to get to know my car this weekend and drop the motor and say" HELLO I"M YOUR MASTER....NOW QUIT FCKING WITH ME!"

I'm going to use engine drop article...from what I can read it's pretty easy...

On another note, my 1st gear recently stopped working....anyone got a spare?

I'll swap guitar lessons, nude pictures of the wife....first born child....or even worst....$$$$$

thanx to all for your support....
skline
Undo all the wires and hoses, remove the rear wheels and lower the car onto a piano dolly and remove 4 bolts. Then lift up the car and your engine is right there. Slide it out and teach it a lesson. Piece of cake and can be done alone. Good luck with it. I have a few trannys but you are a long ways away. We are having a transmission tech shop this weekend I think, or is it the following weekend, nope, it's this weekend. Should be interesting.
jet1
agree.gif and take your time. Good luck!
fatlando
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 29 2005, 10:32 AM)
Undo all the wires and hoses, remove the rear wheels and lower the car onto a piano dolly and remove 4 bolts. Then lift up the car and your engine is right there. Slide it out and teach it a lesson. Piece of cake and can be done alone. Good luck with it. I have a few trannys but you are a long ways away. We are having a transmission tech shop this weekend I think, or is it the following weekend, nope, it's this weekend. Should be interesting.

Scott,

thanx alot for the advice..took a look at your gallery, and looked at your cars in the driveway and noticed your mufflers were trying to hide in the bushes.....how far did they get before you caught them??? biggrin.gif
d7n7master
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 29 2005, 10:32 AM)

You might want to disconnect the axles before you drop that engine.
------
I used wire coat hangers to hold the axles UP & out of the way, and plastic bags over the CV joints to keep the grease out of my hair. wink.gif
------
And, listen to me now - believe me later - 2 hydraulic jacks, one on each side,
and Schweet - Git-R-Done smoke.gif
skline
QUOTE (fatlando @ Jun 29 2005, 11:39 AM)
Scott,

thanx alot for the advice..took a look at your gallery, and looked at your cars in the driveway and noticed your mufflers were trying to hide in the bushes.....how far did they get before you caught them??? biggrin.gif

The little bastards actually got away, I kept bringing them back in the garage but they are sneaky and slipped away. From now on, I put them in the back of the garage for safe keeping. owned.gif
redshift
My mufflers are password protected.

M
zymurgist
FWIW... when we dropped Babydoll's engine, we wrapped the CV joints with Saran Wrap and plastic bags and taped it all in place to keep dirt out of the grease, and then bungied the axles up. Then I took a length of PVC pipe and stuck it between the ends of the axles (the pipe was big enough so the CV joints would slide into it), and bungied the pipe up. We did this so we could roll the car out of the garage, because I needed that bay for storage.
MoveQik
I had never dropped an engine before. I used Pelican's how-to and it came out in about 2 hours. Not bad for a first time! Getting it back in was another story. headbang.gif

I threw in the towel and finally had a shop do it.
joeav8tor
I dropped my engine for the first time a couple of months ago...it took a couple of hours to get out, and went back in relatively easy...I had one friend help me...and followed the pelican article....only I had jack stands on the jacking doughnuts, removed the rear valence, and used two jacks to drop the motor, one jack was used to help keep the motor and tranny level...dont forget to remove the tranny grounding strap...and have a couple of friends help pull up on the fuel rails so they dont get hung up...take your time, if you run into any problems...email your question...it is not too hard.
good luck! flag.gif
Joe
joeav8tor
pic
joeav8tor
after
rhodyguy
lando, hope this isn't too late. spray every nut down with pbblaster 1 or 2 days prior to. go to homedepot and get 1 of the $18 funiture dollies. slightly loosen the bolts on the engine and trans while it's in the air, this is easier than fighting them when the car is lowered. as you lower the car to the dolly, you will note that the angle of the engine/car will leave a few inches unsupported at the front of the dolly. a piece of 2x4, or whatever, will fill the space so there is no "drop" as you get ready to finnish the removal. when you are ready to go, get 2 pieces of tin or license plates and slide them inbetween the fuel rails and the engine shelve. this will help keep the fuel rails froms getting hungup on the suspension ears.

k
fatlando
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jun 30 2005, 07:49 AM)
lando, hope this isn't too late. spray every nut down with pbblaster 1 or 2 days prior to. go to homedepot and get 1 of the $18 funiture dollies. slightly loosen the bolts on the engine and trans while it's in the air, this is easier than fighting them when the car is lowered. as you lower the car to the dolly, you will note that the angle of the engine/car will leave a few inches unsupported at the front of the dolly. a piece of 2x4, or whatever, will fill the space so there is no "drop" as you get ready to finnish the removal. when you are ready to go, get 2 pieces of tin or license plates and slide them inbetween the fuel rails and the engine shelve. this will help keep the fuel rails froms getting hungup on the suspension ears.

k

hey kev,

thanx alot....

i'm a little nervous, but i've got to know my car sooner or later right.??

stand by for my post that goes....

"It's out....now what??????" biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.