Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Out of touch with prices, where are early deep 6's at?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
I'm out of touch with wheel prices. What are early deep 6 Fuchs with hearts going for now days?

I sold some other parts to a VW guy, and he was asking about the three early Fuchs I have. I want to be reasonable, but I don't want to fire sale them either.
rhodyguy
$500 a pop?
mepstein
$600-650 unrestored but decent driver condition. $900-1k for great or restored.

*based on the 6 I sold in the last 18 months.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 6 2019, 06:05 AM) *

^ Seems about right from what I've seen, also, judging by single-wheel sales and sets of four, which makes...

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 6 2019, 06:03 AM) *

$500 a pop?

...this a nice price. Anywhere from $400-500 would be, depending on their needs. I think it's another $200-300ea to restore them the right way, plus the hassle and wait time...
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 6 2019, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 6 2019, 06:05 AM) *

^ Seems about right from what I've seen, also, judging by single-wheel sales and sets of four, which makes...

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 6 2019, 06:03 AM) *

$500 a pop?

...this a nice price. Anywhere from $400-500 would be, depending on their needs. I think it's another $200-300ea to restore them the right way, plus the hassle and wait time...

What’s always funny is the guys that contact me, tell me my price is out of line and offer $200 for the “old, used wheel”. They know what it is. They are just trying to flip for big $.
Literati914
Have to show my ignorance on the subject but why are the "deep 6's" so much more expensive than other Fuchs anyway - I always see them for sale at rediculous prices and ask myself what's so frickin' special?
rhodyguy
Plus potentially shipping x3. There's another $200+. Are those EACH pricing Mark? So...$3.5k+ for a set of wheels? Don't forget the retainer for the attorney.
mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 6 2019, 10:18 AM) *

Have to show my ignorance on the subject but why are the "deep 6's" so much more expensive than other Fuchs anyway - I always see them for sale at rediculous prices and ask myself what's so frickin' special?

Cool “deep dish” wheel that was only made for a short time. The speedster of the Fuchs world.
Larmo63
I see restored sets at an asking price of $4500 for four, matching dates.

I'd say what you have Perry is worth $2000-2500. Hope that helps.
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 6 2019, 10:31 AM) *

Plus potentially shipping x3. There's another $200+. Are those EACH pricing Mark? So...$3.5k+ for a set of wheels? Don't forget the retainer for the attorney.

Yes, $650-1k each depending on condition. For a guy who has a 911S that’s valued at $200k+, it’s not a big leap.
I sold a 69S MFI pump for $6,500 and the guy was thrilled. He’ll spend $50k getting his 69S motor back running. It’s an expensive Porsche world out there.
rhodyguy
"Expensive" is putting it mildly.
krazykonrad
hijacked.gif Not to hijack this thread (proceeds to hijack this thread), could someone post a picture of deep Fuchs vs. regular Fuchs? I know I've seen both but I'm still confused about the differences.

Thanks,
Konrad
Literati914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 6 2019, 09:35 AM) *

Cool “deep dish” wheel that was only made for a short time. The speedster of the Fuchs world.

The 'made for a short time' part explains it I guess... paying for exclusivity - because of course you could get deeper Fuchs for much cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I do like the look tho !
mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 6 2019, 11:33 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 6 2019, 09:35 AM) *

The 'made for a short time' part explains it I guess... paying for exclusivity - because of course you could get deeper Fuchs for much cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I do like the look tho !

Deep 7’s (7R) make the deep 6’s look cheap. $2,500-3k each.

The look of deep 6 & 7’s on a SWB 911 - priceless. biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
They are totally unrestored, and have some light curbing. I got them at a time when they were worth the same as 2.0 Fuchs, which is what I traded them for.
mepstein
$600+ all day long.
burton73
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Sep 6 2019, 11:13 AM) *

They are totally unrestored, and have some light curbing. I got them at a time when they were worth the same as 2.0 Fuchs, which is what I traded them for.

Like I said over and over. Like money in the bank.

I sold Eric 3 6s with harts for $500 5 years ago. Who knew

Bob B
Literati914
Restore 'em, should be worth at least $10K soon. screwy.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 6 2019, 11:18 AM) *

$600+ all day long.

+1

We are talking about something else entirely if they've never been restored and have been sitting (and thus not heat cycled and used for a long time).

$600 each unrestored...there's a buyer for those out there somewhere. $500ea is a deal for someone—though finding a fourth one as solid as these will be the trick.

And yes, deep sixes are a bit nutty. I bought a set back when they were roughly at parity for a set of 2.0 Fuchs (what I wanted but couldn't find) for $500 for four. These days, restored sets seem to go for $3700-4500. Or at least, that's the asking.

As to those asking why so much more, I guess it's aesthetics more than anything else? I don't think they are any better than the "flat" 15x6 that looks the same from head on, but the depth of the lip and the dimensionality of the spokes is just prettier. Porsche must have decided it wasn't worth the added cost roundabout 1971/1972, when it moved to the "flat" 15x6, which it used through, what, 1977? I really like both, but feel deep sixes (and 7Rs) might be the prettiest wheel you can put on a narrow 914 or early 911/912.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 6 2019, 01:14 PM) *

Restore 'em, should be worth at least $10K soon. screwy.gif

Nah, market for all this stuff has softened…
rhodyguy
Refinish for sale? That's like building a house on spec. If it doesn't go as planned, you're left holding the bag. Take the $2400(4)+shipping. If they're straight and true the next owner can finish them where and how they please.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.