Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got it started but..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
So over the weekend I put my focus into getting the car started.

First, I checked and found I wasn't getting any spark while cranking but I was getting power at the coil. The cap is good and so is the rotor. I checked and wasn't getting anything out of the cap, but getting continuity through the wires. I'm figuring either the pertronix was bad or I burned it up?

I swapped out the Pertronix and put points and condensor back in then set the static timing. I cranked the engine and nothing. Checked and I had a spark at the plugs. Tried spraying some carb clearner in and the car instantly fired up then died. So there's a fuel issue. I had a leak before so I swapped the braided lines out for new ones from Tangerine Racing but had only done the lines in the engine compartment. I looked and didn't see a leak underneath. I thought that maybe they weren't leaking. I tried to think of what to do next when it dawned on me to check the tank; it was bone dry.

Put two gal in the tank and cranked and nothing. Looked underneath and there is gas everywhere! Those braided lines were crap. So now I have to replace the lower lines. I'm hoping that once all the lines are replaced it will start and run.

Thanks for letting me vent..

Superhawk996
I hate to be the one to mention this but these cars are 40-50 years old.

Don't forget about the plastic lines that run though the tunnel. I couldn't tell if you have done these yet.

The steel stubs that stick out of the tunnel in the front under the tank only go back about 18 inches. The rest of the lines are plastic back to firewall.

These are typically brittle and crispy by now. I'm sure there are many out there running them just fine, but at least be aware that is what is in the tunnel.

Best recommendation is to move these tunnel fuel to metal lines at some point in the future. Tangerine sells them in many variations. Best time to do them might be while you have the tank out already to take car of the lines you referenced.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 6 2019, 05:26 PM) *

I hate to be the one to mention this but these cars are 40-50 years old.

Don't forget about the plastic lines that run though the tunnel. I couldn't tell if you have done these yet.

The steel stubs that stick out of the tunnel in the front under the tank only go back about 18 inches. The rest of the lines are plastic back to firewall.

These are typically brittle and crispy by now. I'm sure there are many out there running them just fine, but at least be aware that is what is in the tunnel.

Best recommendation is to move these tunnel fuel to metal lines at some point in the future. Tangerine sells them in many variations. Best time to do them might be while you have the tank out already to take car of the lines you referenced.

I did replace the center lines as well as the lines in the engine compartment as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.