Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head Bolt Removal and Installation Tips Needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cassmcentee
Starting the disassembly of my 72 2.0
Some head bolts stayed with the Case
Others came out with the head
How do you guys/gals deal with removal so as not to SCAR the bolts?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
If you are pulling all the head studs, first put some Seafoam Deep Creep penetrating oil on them, and if you have time let them sit for a day, and tapping with a brass or plastic hammer will help the oil work. Most of the time you can put two nuts on the top threads, tighten them against each other and use that to back them out. If they are rusty (like yours) this can cause them to break, so I'd carefully add some heat with a MAP or propane torch.
cassmcentee
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Sep 6 2019, 01:25 PM) *

If you are pulling all the head studs, first put some Seafoam Deep Creep penetrating oil on them, and if you have time let them sit for a day, and tapping with a brass or plastic hammer will help the oil work. Most of the time you can put two nuts on the top threads, tighten them against each other and use that to back them out. If they are rusty (like yours) this can cause them to break, so I'd carefully add some heat with a MAP or propane torch.

Cool, Thank you Perry, I have plenty of time!

What about the ones trapped on the head?
Add two nuts to the bottom threads to counter the top nut???
ClayPerrine
Soak the threads with penetrating oil (I use PB Blaster), double nut the bottom of the studs, and unscrew the nuts.

Personally, those studs are awful rusty. I wouldn't reuse them. If you choose to get new studs, just lock them with vice grips.

Good luck.

Clay
cassmcentee
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 6 2019, 02:03 PM) *

Personally, those studs are awful rusty. I wouldn't reuse them. If you choose to get new studs, just lock them with vice grips.

I agree with you, I'll get new ones.
Thanks Again!
Superhawk996
Now I know the double nut trick works well most of the time and is basically free, but, I really love these Snap-on collet stud extractors.

Double nuts sometimes slip and/or don't seem to get enough grip on the threads sometimes. I've resorted to triple nutting a time or two.

Overkill for sure, but, I love having the right tool for the job.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
wow thats really compact,,I have the older style long collett one,,,
add to cart...
cassmcentee
That Stud Extractor looks great!
Just one that feels like it's going to twist... (or worse)
Doin' Da Double Nut Slip piratenanner.gif
(heated and soaked)
Will do the triple nut in the morning (soaking)
Just hate putting Vicegrips on anything sad.gif
Click to view attachment
preach
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 6 2019, 04:57 PM) *

Now I know the double nut trick works well most of the time and is basically free, but, I really love these Snap-on collet stud extractors.

Double nuts sometimes slip and/or don't seem to get enough grip on the threads sometimes. I've resorted to triple nutting a time or two.

Those are nice.

A trick tool I learned about at work is vice grips with a nut welded to the jaws then cut in half. Plenty of clamping power without damaging the threads.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 6 2019, 12:57 PM) *

I really love these Snap-on collet stud extractors.

Nice! Tool envy. That is in fact the best tool for the job.
ClayPerrine
If you are not going to reuse the stud, then weld a nut to the stud. I do that for pulling studs out of /4 heads.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.