Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear-lights wiring fandango
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
I found out yesterday I've got an issue with my rear-lights' wiring. Let me explain:

-Headlights/Driving lights off:
Left turn signal works fine.
Left turn signal when braking works fine.

Right turn signal works fine.
Right turn signal when braking causes furthest right light to illuminate, both reverse lights to illuminate.

-Headlights/Driving llights on:
Left turn signal works fine.
Left driving light works fine.
Left turn signal when braking works fine.
Left driving light when braking works fine.

Right turn signal blinks in alternation with right driving light (?!?)
Right turn signal when braking causes right driving light to illuminate and both reverse lights to illuminate, turn signal relay clicks at ¼ of normal speed.
--

So, what do I do? I compared the wiring to Pelican's rear-light rewiring guide and they're wired up right. Checked my fuse panel and from what I can tell I have no wires crossing over onto other terminals. Are my rear light/signal buckets shot? Is there a way I can refurbish them if they are?

All advice is welcome. TIA smile.gif
skline
I have several buckets here if you need them. Next time you are over, we will figure it out for you.
ClayPerrine
What you describe is that the tail lights are miswired. Here's how to fix it.

Start by buying a test light and a DVOM (Digital Volt/Ohm Meter).

Take out the tail light assemblies on both sides and take out all the bulbs.

Start with the left side.

If you look inside the tail light assemblies, you will see a metal tab that contacts the outside of each bulb. That is the ground circuit.

Using the DVOM set on ohms, touch both leads of the DVOM together. It should then read all zeros. This verifies your test equipment.

Touch one lead to the ground tab for a bulb in the tail light assembly. Touch the other to each of the tabs on the tail light where the wiring attaches and look at the meter. When the meter reads all zeros. That is the tail light ground tab. Hook the brown lead from the tail light harness to that connector.

Take the DVOM and touch it to the center contact of the bulb for the side marker light (this is the little bulb on the outside end of the tail light). Then touch the remaining tabs on the harness connector until the DVOM reads all zeros. Note that connector.

Take the test light and hook it's clip to the brown lead on the harness. Then turn on the park lights. Touch each of the wires in the harness until the test light comes on. Hook that wire to the tab you noted above. Turn off the park lights.

Take the DVOM and touch it to the center contact for the large single filament bulb that is farthest outboard. Then touch the remaining tabs on the harness connector until the DVOM reads all zeros. Note that connector.

Take the test light and hook it's clip to the brown lead on the harness. Then turn on the ignition and the left turn signal. Touch each of the wires in the harness until the test light blinks. Hook that wire to the tab you noted above. Turn off the turn signal.

Take the DVOM and touch it to the center contact for the large single filament bulb that is farthest inboard. Then touch the remaining tabs on the harness connector until the DVOM reads all zeros. Note that connector. Take the car out of reverse.

Take the test light and hook it's clip to the brown lead on the harness. Then turn on the key and put the car in reverse. Touch each of the wires in the harness until the test light comes on. Hook that wire to the tab you noted above.

At this time you should only have one wire left. Hook it to the remaining connector. Reinstall all the bulbs and test each of the lights in the left tail light housing.

Repeat this process for the right side.

SLITS
QUOTE (Brando @ Jun 29 2005, 11:30 AM)
Right turn signal works fine.
Right turn signal when braking causes furthest right light to illuminate, both reverse lights to illuminate.

-
Right turn signal blinks in alternation with right driving light (?!?)
Right turn signal when braking causes right driving light to illuminate and both reverse lights to illuminate, turn signal relay clicks at ¼ of normal speed.
--

Cool smilie_pokal.gif You have the "RARE" protoype #116 French Car........All white lights come on signaling surrender. Don't change a thing hijacked.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Fix the grounds. The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 29 2005, 01:09 PM)
Fix the grounds. The Cap'n

Dammit Cap'n... don't make it sound so easy!!!! Your gonna ruin my rep as a wiring whiz if everyone can figure this out on their own..... biggrin.gif
redshift
The Cap'n's method works better!

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.