Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Suspension and Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BENBRO02
Near as I can tell my 1975 had all early front suspension on it with late calipers. Washers were added in between the spindles and the calipers, and spacers were added between the rotors and wheels.

I had a shimmy at highway speed and want to correct the problem before heading to Okteenerfest.

To correct the problem I bought the following from PMB:
Late hard brakes lines
Wheel bearings
Late rotors
Ball joint pins
Late strut housings and spindles

I already have late calipers so I plan on using them.

I have 2 problems.

I can't drive the pins into the ball joints (apparently I have early ball joints and didn't realize there was a difference). That's an easy fix but may not happen in time to make Okteenerfest.

The second problem is that I can't fit the calipers. I was thinking that maybe I have some non 914 calipers so I bought some used late calipers from Bruce Stone (thanks Bruce). The calipers that Bruce sent are the same as what I had so I must have the correct calipers.

The rotors are about an 1/8" off (to the outside) to work with the spindles and calipers.

Is it possible I installed something incorrectly or are some of the parts still incorrect (in addition to the ball joints)?

mepstein
You need the late ball joints. You can't mix and match.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 7 2019, 12:36 PM) *

Any ideas why the calipers won't fit?
mepstein
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Sep 7 2019, 12:44 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 7 2019, 12:36 PM) *

Any ideas why the calipers won't fit?

No, sorry, I don't but smarter minds will chime in.
sixnotfour
is the rotor hubcentric ?
BENBRO02
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 7 2019, 01:12 PM) *

is the rotor hubcentric ?

Yes
sixnotfour
is the inner wheel bearing pressed all the way in to the seat ??
bbrock
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 7 2019, 12:35 PM) *

My thought also. Specifically, that the inner bearing race is pressed all the way in. Only thing I could think would hold the rotor out on the spindle.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 7 2019, 02:59 PM) *

My thought also. Specifically, that the inner bearing race is pressed all the way in. Only thing I could think would hold the rotor out on the spindle.

I used a special bearing race driver and it sure felt solidly seated and then I hit it a couple extra times to be sure. The rotor rubs on the dust shield too, telling me it's in as far as it should be?
BENBRO02
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Sep 7 2019, 05:39 PM) *

I used a special bearing race driver and it sure felt solidly seated and then I hit it a couple extra times to be sure. The rotor rubs on the dust shield too, telling me it's in as far as it should be?

Is the dust shield different early to late? Maybe that is stopping the rotor and bearing from seating properly?
BENBRO02
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Sep 7 2019, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Sep 7 2019, 05:39 PM) *

Is the dust shield different early to late? Maybe that is stopping the rotor and bearing from seating properly?

I took the dust shield off and the caliper fits. So it looks like the dust shields are interfering with the rotors.
bdstone914
@BENBRO02

Yes early and late shield are different and not interchangable. Many people leave them off.

And they get put on backwards.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 7 2019, 11:24 PM) *

@BENBRO02

Yes early and late shield are different and not interchangable. Many people leave them off.

And they get put on backwards.

Thanks again Bruce, see you Thursday at Okteenerfest!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.