Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: two piecer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
today a guy rolled in proudly to show me his new 914 he purchased in gainesville florida. Car looked pretty good, faded phoenix red paint, not rusted, nice running fuel injected 1.8 engine chrome bumpers, a bit tattered but a great driver... Asked me to look at it for him. I Came up with the usual things, rear window caps, pedal pads fender dividers replace some missing windshield chrome, wiper caps, left door frame seal, rear lid to glass seal, etc, popped the front trunk, immaculate original phoenix red paint never hit, missing the front charcoal canister. THEN I popped the engine lid, and the whole compartment was olympic blue, along with the rear trunk. I knew right away: The car had been cut in half. As it turned out, it had the rear half of a 74 olympic blue car complete with its 74 door jamb sticker, and the front half of the 73 phoenix red car complete with its karmann badge, front headlight box plate and stamped right fender 47329 vehicle id number! The cut was right across in front of the seats.

Good driver but a virtually worthless investment, and would be very very hard to sell to someone, as he intended when purchasing. Thought that he could sell for eight thousand!

The moral of this story is always have a prospective 914 purchase checked out by someone in the know, even if it is you
thelogo
Saved it from the scrapheap at least sawzall-smiley.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes two halves but two halves went to the scrap heap!
This is something that was widespread when the cars were new, many many rebuilders, seeing how easy it was to cut the car in two, would go the salvage sale, buy one hit in the rear and one hit in the front, for only 400 to 450 each believe it or not (no one really knew what the 914 was), cut each one in half, lined them up, and welded them together. The real butchers cut right across the middle, and through the center tunnel ruining the clutch and accelerator tubes. The more sophisticated guys cut behind the seats and up and over the center console preserving all of the tubing

QUOTE(thelogo @ Sep 7 2019, 11:25 AM) *

Saved it from the scrapheap at least sawzall-smiley.gif

saigon71
My very first car was a $100 "1970" VW Karmann Ghia. My Dad & I pulled it out of a guys field. He let us borrow his tow bat to get it home.

We noticed before buying it that it had tail lights like a 69, but figured it was a transition model...and may be even more valuable. dry.gif

Well, No. Someone had scabbed two cars together across the rocker panels and at the rear window.

We did manage to get it on the road, but it chewed through tires and never tracked correctly.

I learned this lesson at a young age.

Rand
How many two piecers have you done?
mb911
I am not complety turned off by the car being actually 2.. I think it should be represented as that though. He should just drive it and enjoy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.