Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning the roof
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
Anyone have any tips on how to clean the top of the targa? Mine is in good shape but it has some spots on it. What’s a good cleaner to use?
Minerva's 914
I've had great results using Solution Finish. Be sure and use it with gloves and keep it off of clothes and paint as it can stain but the results are amazing!

sjhenry1075
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Sep 8 2019, 09:14 AM) *

I've had great results using Solution Finish. Be sure and use it with gloves and keep it off of clothes and paint as it can stain but the results are amazing!

Awesome! Thank you very much! I’m assuming it would work on the bumpers too..
Rand
Dish soap and a scrub brush with water, since you asked about cleaning one in good shape. You had to ask this? Did you try cleaning it? It won't fall apart. Just clean it. You have to be told this?
Sorry, we were raised differently and it comes across wrong some times. Just clean it. >?
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Sep 8 2019, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Sep 8 2019, 09:14 AM) *

Awesome! Thank you very much! I’m assuming it would work on the bumpers too..

As stated above DO clean it first and if the spots appear to be from grease stains use a strong detergent and degreaser then work with the Solution Finish. Yes it works with bumper caps but if the cap is VERY dry then after cleaning and before using the Solution Finish, treat the bumper cap with a glycerin or heavy vinyl treatment and allow that to penetrate overnight retreating if needed to restore the material then finish off the surface with Solution Finish
Cairo94507
I get the anxiety when it comes to cleaning something that is old and the fear of doing damage. I would rather someone who is unsure ask the question and get advice rather than use something to clean it that may cause damage. We all come to the party with different skills.
Ian Stott
After I cleaned mine, good old soap and water I used shoe polish to make it nice and black again! i am retired military so me and shoe polish are old friends, looks great, water beads nicely and lasts for a year before a redo is required. Cost effective and easy.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 9 2019, 12:17 PM) *

I get the anxiety when it comes to cleaning something that is old and the fear of doing damage. I would rather someone who is unsure ask the question and get advice rather than use something to clean it that may cause damage. We all come to the party with different skills.

That’s exactly why I asked. The car (including the roof) hasn’t seen water since 1990 and I didn’t want to do any damage.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Sep 9 2019, 01:17 PM) *

After I cleaned mine, good old soap and water I used shoe polish to make it nice and black again! i am retired military so me and shoe polish are old friends, looks great, water beads nicely and lasts for a year before a redo is required. Cost effective and easy.

I’m prior military too (Marines) and never thought of using shoe polish. Thank you for the tip and for your service!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.