Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975/2.0 Engine number location?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9**P-car
Hello folks. I’m a new member here. I am having a shop perform a PPI on a 1975 2.0 that I am looking to purchase. They can’t find the engine serial number. Isn’t it located on top of the engine, in front of the oil filler neck? Thanks.
ndfrigi
Click to view attachment
9**P-car
Thanks for the Pic! On this car, that metal area is smooth - no numbers stamped. From what I have read, it may be a replacement block that doesn’t have a number.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(9**P-car @ Sep 11 2019, 12:03 PM) *

Thanks for the Pic! On this car, that metal area is smooth - no numbers stamped. From what I have read, it may be a replacement block that doesn’t have a number.

is it 2.0 or 1.8? if 1.8 the engine number is at different location. Click to view attachment
mtndawg
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 11 2019, 11:53 AM) *

Yes, mine is a 1975 2.0 and it’s by the oil filler in the same spot.
914werke
if not a replacement case a transplant from 912e ?
ndfrigi
is it F.I. or carb? can u share pic of ur engine?
porschetub
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 12 2019, 02:00 PM) *

is it F.I. or carb? can u share pic of ur engine?

agree.gif ,would really help,have the numbers been ground off or is the area smooth as it would be cast from the factory.
I would certain get your guy to check that.
9**P-car
The first 2 pics are from the dealer selling the 914. The 3rd pic is from the mechanic performing the PPI. That area where the number should be is smooth.
davep
If a 912E engine, the serial is located on the fan shroud. If a normal fan shroud is placed on a 912E case, then there would be no engine serial to be found.
9**P-car
Mystery solved. I was able to track down the original owner, and he said he threw a rod in 1979, and had to get a replacement block. Thanks for everyone’s responses.
bobboinski
QUOTE(9**P-car @ Sep 14 2019, 05:05 PM) *

Mystery solved. I was able to track down the original owner, and he said he threw a rod in 1979, and had to get a replacement block. Thanks for everyone’s responses.

I've never thought about this before but why would a replacement block not have a serial number? If a dealer had the proper stamps (or whatever you call them) I guess they could match the new block to the old engine number?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.