Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now I know!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
Ever wonder why Blaupunkt radios had a blue dot on its face plate?

Founded in 1923 in Berlin as "Ideal," the company was acquired by Robert Bosch AG in 1933. In 1938 it changed its name to "Blaupunkt", German for "blue point" or "blue dot", after the blue dot painted onto its headphones that had passed quality control.
bbrock
Interesting timing. I just learned this earlier this week when researching the company before deciding to roll the dice on a new Bluapunkt radio for my car. The current status of Blaupunkt is somewhat mysterious. What I have learned is that Robert Bosch AG sold the company in 2008. The new owner is an investment firm that tore the company up for its assets and left it a withering shell that was liquidated in 2016. Factories shuttered, and workers laid off, the only thing remaining was the name. The history trail goes dark after that but the name and logo are now being licensed to several manufacturers and distributed in different markets. There is still a Blaupunkt web site.

I've been looking for a modern radio that wouldn't look like crap in my 914. Anyone who has shopped modern Bluetooth capable radios knows they are cheap, gaudy light show catastrophes that trigger nightmare flashbacks of the disco age. The North America offerings from "Blaupunkt" are no different. They are just cheap Chinese radios with tacky styling geared toward American teenagers.

By chance, I learned that radios sold with the blue dot in other parts of the world are a completely different line of devices and appear to be from a German company although I could find no info on where they are actually manufactured. They appear to be higher end radios with price tags to match. Importantly, they have much more understated styling more befitting of the brand. They even have a retro 80s style radio that would look at home in a matching vintage Porsche. None of them look period correct for a 914, but the styling is understated and elegant enough that I a German reseller on Ebay UK and ordered one. Being for the European market, these radios feature DAB which is useless in North America and do no support SirriusXM. I don't use satellite radio so no problem for me.

I guess I'll know in a couple weeks whether I got screwed.
DickSteinkamp
And I thought I was the ONLY one with an AM sunglasses.gif ...

IPB Image

(radio courtesy of Mark Heard)
HansJan
Just be aware when buying from overseas seller.
European radio channels are typically on an even number as first decimal.
expl: 95.4 or 88.6.

US channels are mostly on odd first decimals.
expl: 95.7 or 99.1

This was an issue when I bought a US radio for my first car (I lived in Europe).
Valy
QUOTE(HansJan @ Sep 12 2019, 04:05 PM) *

Just be aware when buying from overseas seller.
European radio channels are typically on an even number as first decimal.
expl: 95.4 or 88.6.

US channels are mostly on odd first decimals.
expl: 95.7 or 99.1

This was an issue when I bought a US radio for my first car (I lived in Europe).

Those are analog dial radios so station spacing should not be a problem.
Larmo63
I have a German made Blaupunkt AM/FM/SW/Phono home stereo from the sixties. It is a beautiful rosewood thing on chrome legs....

(Sorry about my guitar and amps in front of it.)

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 12 2019, 07:39 PM) *

I have a German made Blaupunkt AM/FM/SW/Phono home stereo from the sixties. It is a beautiful rosewood thing on chrome legs....

(Sorry about my guitar and amps in front of it.)

That thing is awesome aktion035.gif drooley.gif

The radio I bought is for the international market and has region settings that adjust the tuner frequencies and other features to the area of use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.