Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teaching my son how to change the oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ratrod87
Tonight my son and I got out in the shop and changed the oil and transmission gear oil and gave the chassis a good inspection. It was great spending time with him and teaching him (and myself ) how to change the oil in the car, it was truly a learning experience for both of us, we have always serviced our own cars but I have never serviced one of these engines. Afterwards I let my son drive me around some country back roads with the top off . It was the first time my son has ever driven a manual transmission and he did really well. He has shown a ton of interest in this car so I think I'm going to let him have it.
Ratrod87
My son getting dirty
Ratrod87
Like a pro
BeatNavy
Aw c'mon, make him do it the old fashion way: on his back with jackstands. Back in MY day we didn't have 2 post lifts... smile.gif

Glad he's enjoying it and you're enjoying it together. Good times, dad first.gif
Ratrod87
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 12 2019, 07:28 PM) *

Aw c'mon, make him do it the old fashion way: on his back with jackstands. Back in MY day we didn't have 2 post lifts... smile.gif

Glad he's enjoying it and you're enjoying it together. Good times, dad first.gif

Lol I know he has it way too easy , next time I'll make him put it up on wood blocks on some gravel.
Tbrown4x4
Have him adjust the valves. That'll make a man out of him! haha
infraredcalvin
Glad you got the tranny issues sorted, awesome teaching him to work on this car, he’s the future enthusiast when we all get old and cranky and stop posting....
IronHillRestorations
Take another step: cut open the oil filter and cut out the paper element. Drain it for a day or two then use a sharp chisel on the filter body and a razor knife on the paper. You can have a "what am I supposed to see" moment, or an "oh no" moment. It's kind of messy, but it'll let you know if the bearings are going south. An easier but more expensive test is to get the oil analyzed.
bretth
Not to be a downer but isn't it dangerous to use the engine bar mounts as a support point?
BeatNavy
I think he might be a little concerned about the integrity of the jack point (unless I'm mixing up my threads). But valid question.

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Sep 12 2019, 10:24 PM) *

Good point. I think adjusting valves and installing HE's/heater components are God's way of asking if you REALLY want to work on air cooled cars.
JOEPROPER
This is good stuff. He'll remember these experiences for the rest of his life. Good times with Dad!
Ratrod87
QUOTE(bretth @ Sep 12 2019, 10:34 PM) *

Not to be a downer but isn't it dangerous to use the engine bar mounts as a support point?

I was waiting for someone to burn me on lifting on the engine bar, lol I decided to lift there because of the rust in the hell hole. While the car was on the lift I was able to inspect the bottom of the car for rust issues and pleased to say I could only find rust beneath the battery tray and wasn't to bad. I still have to remove the rocker covers.
Ratrod87
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Sep 13 2019, 05:31 AM) *

I think he might be a little concerned about the integrity of the jack point (unless I'm mixing up my threads). But valid question.

QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Sep 12 2019, 10:24 PM) *

Good point. I think adjusting valves and installing HE's/heater components are God's way of asking if you REALLY want to work on air cooled cars.

You are correct, I decided to lift on engine bar because I was concerned about strength of hell hole. I lifted very slowly to make sure nothing was bending or crushing.
burton73
This is the best picture of your son. You will look back in 20 years and say where did the time fly.

This is precious time with your son. It is great teaching him to drive a stick. My kids and 1st wife could not drive a stick no matter what.

Having 2 people to tackle your 914 jobs makes it much easier and as it is your son, Its priceless!

Bob B

bye1.gif welcome.png
Ratrod87
QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 13 2019, 02:13 PM) *

This is the best picture of your son. You will look back in 20 years and say where did the time fly.

This is precious time with your son. It is great teaching him to drive a stick. My kids and 1st wife could not drive a stick no matter what.

Having 2 people to tackle your 914 jobs makes it much easier and as it is your son, Its priceless!

Bob B

bye1.gif welcome.png

Thank you Bob , I'm really proud of my son, today he got out in the shop and removed the driver's door panel because Thursday night the window came out of track and fell down into the door, he took it apart and put it back together by himself, tomorrow he's going to take it on a solo trip about 25 miles one way to the marina where we keep our boat and back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.