Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Injector plugged...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkG
well car started to run like crap (low idle, loss of power). Traced it to what I believe to be a plugged injector: has power to it, had spark, remove it and place in a jar (w/harness connected but coil wire removed). Turn over engine 20-30 times, no fuel at all - not even a leak - from the injector.

I remove injector, put air blow gun to hose, 50 PSI, fuel hose baloons but not a hint of air from nozzel tip.

Is this the correct way to test? These injectors have less than 200 miles on them (bought new 8/2004 from EBS but car did not run until last month). Fuel pump, fuel filter, preasure regulator etc. are less than 200 miles new.

At current injector prices I'm going to the cheap but lousy route of carbs I do believe....I already have $2K on new FI parts and for the $650.00+ for a another new set of injectors just ain't gonna happen.
McMark
Clean your gas tank and fuel lines. Acid dip or boil out the tank, but I recommend against the sealer they try to sell you.
bd1308
also check to see that you get a pulse on that injector.....might have to fashion a light or something....but check that b4 going to the extreme.
Dave_Darling
Hook the electrical connection on the injector with ~+6V (I think!) while you put 50 PSI compressed air into the back.

If that's what you did, then yeah the injector is locked up solid. You may be able to clean it with carb cleaner or some such, or you can send it out to an outfit which will clean it out for you. Just remember not to store the injector with carb cleaner in it; it's OK for short term cleaning but will damage the injector over the long haul if you leave it in there.

--DD
McMark
Actually, 1.5V will work and is what the injectors see normally. I taped a D cell battery to a switch and a few wires and an injector connector and viola, I have an extremely portable injector tester.
McMark
Also, blow air backwards through the injector. They have filter screens that can be cleaned.
Mueller
I have a pre-pump filter and another filter before the injectors.......
McMark
Filters can only do so much though. I've seen crazy stuff get past filters. I don't know how, but I've seen it. Luckily you've already got a clean tank Mike. wink.gif
skline
I have a set of 4 2 liter injectors on Ebay right now for $200.00 buy it now. They are new and ready to go. Let me know if you want them and I can end the auction since nobody has bid on them yet.
MarkG
I didn't power up the injector when I blew air through it.....will try that tonight;

it is getting pulse, when I switch the harness to another injector that injector works fine, but the bad injector does not fire when another known good harness is hooked to it.

Dang Skline, wish I had logged in earler - just orderd 4 NEW injectors ($94.00 ea) from Dave @ GPR.
Howard
Had this as a recurring problem until I replaced the tank. Don't know if this hurts the injectors, but just removed and blew air backwards thru the injectors. The pressure opens the valve and the crud flies out the tube. Not that I know, but it seems that blowing in the direction the fuel travels could just make it worse. Opinions?
Cap'n Krusty
You bought it in 8/2004? Warranty the sucker! Be done with it. The Cap'n
skline
QUOTE (MarkG @ Jun 30 2005, 08:47 AM)
I didn't power up the injector when I blew air through it.....will try that tonight;

it is getting pulse, when I switch the harness to another injector that injector works fine, but the bad injector does not fire when another known good harness is hooked to it.

Dang Skline, wish I had logged in earler - just orderd 4 NEW injectors ($94.00 ea) from Dave @ GPR.

$94.00 each is cheap, Pelican has them for $210.00 each. Must be old pricing cause that is what I remember them going for.
MarkG
the GPR one's are for a '74, the 75-76 are more when available.

I DO need to remove/clean my tank, as soon as I get down to a gallon or so this is my next project. The fuel filter is new.

Figured for what I already have invested in my FI - which I much prefer to carbs - new injectors is the way to go
skline
Well, mine sold this morning, good luck with your car. I am sure once you get the tank cleaned out, you will have no more problems till next time. biggrin.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (MarkG @ Jun 30 2005, 09:57 AM)
the GPR one's are for a '74, the 75-76 are more when available.

I DO need to remove/clean my tank, as soon as I get down to a gallon or so this is my next project. The fuel filter is new.

Figured for what I already have invested in my FI - which I much prefer to carbs - new injectors is the way to go

Hm. I was under the impression there were only three injectors used on the 914: 1.7, 2.0, and L-Jet. The L-Jet injectors have a slightly different connector, and should be MUCH more commonly available, as there are lots more L-Jet cars in the world than D-Jet cars.

TravisNeff
4 different injectors, not just 3. 1.7, 1.8 and early 73-74 2.0 and late 75-76 2.0
Dave_Darling
Yup! But the only difference I have found, so far, is the part number. They seem to have the same resistance through the coils, and they seem to have the same flow rate when open. Not sure what the difference is...

--DD
Jamie
So are the various different injectors interchangeable? How about variety available for a stock 73 1.7L?
lapuwali
They're not interchangable, no. The 1.7 and 2.0 injectors certainly flow different amounts, so if you used 1.7 injectors in a 2.0, you'd be lean all the time, and rich if you swapped the other way. I have no idea what the flow rate is on the 914 L-Jet injectors, but the electrical connectors aren't exactly the same. I *think* the actual electrical part of the connector IS the same, but the L-Jet versions don't have a separate rubber sealing boot. Instead, the plastic part of the connector wraps around the injector part of the connector, and can be sealed with an O-ring.

TravisNeff
I could have sworn there was some real data on the flow of each injector type, and with that the 75-76 flowed a tiny bit less. I could be making all of this up in my mind though... wacko.gif
lapuwali
These are the only flow numbers I've seen (from Brad Anders' excellent D-Jet site):

Yellow (1.7L) - 265 cc/min @ 2.0 Bar, 3V, 0.15 mm ± 0.05 mm lift
Green (2.0L) - 380 cc/min @ 2.0 Bar, 3V, 0.15 mm ± 0.05 mm lift

The part numbers for the injectors are also listed (vw/porsche number and bosch number):

022 906 031 A or 311 133 261 A 0 280 150 009 1.7L 1970 - 1976 Yellow plug
039 906 031 0 280 150 019 2.0L 1973 - 1974 Green plug
039 906 031 A 0 280 150 038 2.0L 1975 - 1976 Green plug
Cap'n Krusty
L-jet injectors use a resistor in line and are NOT interchangable......... If you paid $94 bucks for them 10 months ago, it seems unlikely they were new. The Cap'n
MarkG
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 30 2005, 01:50 PM)
L-jet injectors use a resistor in line and are NOT interchangable......... If you paid $94 bucks for them 10 months ago, it seems unlikely they were new. The Cap'n

Nope, paid $74.00 for them and me thinks you are right....especialy since they came in a plastic Glad bag and the green recepticals were of different shades....

Got them from EBS, came with flow chart etc.; will contact them about it, maybe get them cleaned etc. for free.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (MarkG @ Jun 30 2005, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 30 2005, 01:50 PM)
L-jet injectors use a resistor in line and are NOT interchangable.........  If you paid $94 bucks for them 10 months ago, it seems unlikely they were new.  The Cap'n

Nope, paid $74.00 for them and me thinks you are right....especialy since they came in a plastic Glad bag and the green recepticals were of different shades....

Got them from EBS, came with flow chart etc.; will contact them about it, maybe get them cleaned etc. for free.

$74, $94, makes no difference. Check 'em with a ohm meter. Sounds like one is electrically dead. I have sh*t luck with rebuilt injectors. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.