Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help, front shock replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mockmaw
Hi all,

I recently acquired a set of 4 bilsteins for my car. The shocks came attached to another set of struts, but I'm happy with my current struts.. is there a way to just change the shock out? I've seen a few 'guides' at the PP boards, but none of them have been particularly helpful. I can't seem to figure out how to get the shock insert out of the strut (as it is sitting on the bench). I can take the top nut and dust jacket off fine.. otherwise the shock is still attached to the strut which is still attached to the ball joint.

Referencing the picture.. can the shock be taken out of item 8 (shock strut).. my understanding is that it is possible *shrug*
ChrisReale
There is a threaded collar holding the insert into the strut housing. Soak itwith PB Blaster or heat it up, put it in a bench vise and get a big ass pipe wrench.
Mueller
There is a big "nut" on the top of the strut assy which is holding the insert in the strut.

Clamp the strut in a vice, use a big pipe wrench to remove the nut.

It might not have the six sides like a regular nut, but instead have two grooves or no grooves at all.
rhodyguy
you can just swap out the carts with the one strut assem still on the car. i remove the wheel. put a floor jack under the control arm. bend the locking tab(if it's still there) down. remove the nut. then lower the control arm down and the strut assem will follow. when it comes free don't let it swing out and dent the fender. remove dust cover. big pipe wrench to undo the closing screw. the cart should slip out. slide the other one in. as haynes would say assem is the reverse. but pull the rod up before you raise the whole works back up. you can do it with the tire on, but i find it easier to pull it.

kevin
ChrisReale
Yea, and if you have a sway bar, disconnect the drop links before yo attempt to drop the strut from its mount. Ask me how I figured that one out (Damn, these Koni's sure are hard to compress ar15.gif )
scotty
Yea, and if you have a sway bar, disconnect the drop links before yo attempt to drop the strut from its mount. Ask me how I figured that one out

...and if you have SS brake lines, they may be just a tad short headbang.gif
Jeroen
IIRC Bilsteins are also secured to the strut at the bottom, just above the balljoint

cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
Nobody answered correctly...LOL

The Bilstein for a 914 4 cyl strut uses a special tool and special collar that goes down inside the strut tube.

Bislteins for Bilstein struts use the pin.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.