Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust stroke
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
Hi everyone, having a problem starting my 1.8 after having the engine out to replace main seals and cooler and pushrod tube seals. The PO had installed hydraulic valves on it and it ran fine previously. It’s getting fuel and spark (even put a squirt of oil in each cylinder Incase I had low compression) but seems way out of time popping a bit out of the carb when I turn it over to start it. So I checked to make sure I was on the compression stroke when the rotor was pointing at #1 TDC again cause I had the distributor out and put it back in. I’ve adjusted valves before but no way am I a confident mechanic. But one thing I noticed was when I was bringing the #1 piston up to TDC to find the compression stroke both strokes had some compression. One stroke had compression about half way through the stroke almost then non the other half to TDC. The next stroke on #1 had compression throughout the whole stroke to TDC. I’m thinking the whole exhaust stroke should have no compression throughout the whole stroke? Just want to get advice on this before I pull the valve covers and recheck the valves that I check adjustment on a few times when it was on a engine stand. Btw I considered the compression stoke was the stroke with compression all the way to TDC and set my distributor to that stroke. Thanks
sportlicherFahrer
My GUESS is that due to the hydraulic lifters you get some compression on your exhaust stroke because the lifter isn't pumped up. If it was fully pressurized you would get less compression on the exhaust stroke because the valve would be opening sooner.

What do you have your valves set to? 2 turns in from 0 lash on compression stroke?
shane
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Sep 15 2019, 05:39 PM) *

My GUESS is that due to the hydraulic lifters you get some compression on your exhaust stroke because the lifter isn't pumped up. If it was fully pressurized you would get less compression on the exhaust stroke because the valve would be opening sooner.

What do you have your valves set to? 2 turns in from 0 lash on compression stroke?

Yes from an instructional article I read from Richard Atwell on VW type 4 engines he recommended between 1-1/2 or 2 turns after zero lash. But I’m recalling also hearing you tighten the adjuster until you fell the spring compress all the way then back off a turn?
sportlicherFahrer
I would trust Atwell's method. Not sure what else may be keeping it from running though.
shane
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Sep 15 2019, 06:45 PM) *

I would trust Atwell's method. Not sure what else may be keeping it from running though.

Thanks for your reply, I’ll go over everything again and figure it out hopefully.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.