Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sealants used by Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
The 914 appears to have several types of sealers applied, and maybe different ones over the year models. On a 72 914, repair is being done on the area near teh tail lights/wheel well. near the corner of the tail light where the metal some times rusts from the inside., it appear the factory used an expanding foam to fill some areas that would be dirt/water traps otherwise. The expanded foam (urathane foam is what it looks like) was then coated with a paste that sealed the foam form moisture. The paste layer appear to be brushed or spackeled on to the car, and when broken off appears like a piece of pink bondo, but it is more flexable than bondo would be. finally the top layer is painte, like the rest of the car.

What is the material they used as the layer over the expanded foam? it looks like the same stuff might have been used in seam sealing the trunks, and floors. Seam sealers at the auto paint store are much to thin and won't dry if applied too thick. This stuff on the 914 can be 1/16 inch to 1/2 inch thick

where can i get some sealer like this? What brands?

Also there appears in some areas, but not all, a black thickish coating on the steel, under the afore mentioned sealer,and paint.

Also did any of the 914 come with a factory under coating in the wheel wells, and under the rear trunk floor?

thanks
Bleyseng
QUOTE (dmenche914 @ Jun 29 2005, 10:34 PM)

Also did any of the 914 come with a factory under coating in the wheel wells, and under the rear trunk floor?

thanks

No, dealer applied item
dmenche914
what was the type of dealer appleied sealers used on the underside, mine is bare, I'd like to get something close to what was typically applied by dealer. Also any ideas on the bondo looking (but more flexible) filler/seam sealer used on the 72 914 trunk, and wheel wells? The stuff is gooped on thick in some spots, and is factory, as it is under the original color paint.

thanks

dave
guywan914
I've found the foam you are referring to under the rear trunk floor of my 75 in the area under the taillights. I have a product we use for sealing ductwork penetrations on new construction that has a very similar texture and is resistant to moisture penetration. It can be found at www. EFI .com. EFI stands for energy federation Incorporated
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.