Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, Who’s Rock’n the 8 Track?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DucRS
Not sure what to do. Replace it or Rock it ...LOL
Original owner says it was all the rage back then. Click to view attachment
Front yard mechanic
Stick in a beach boy tape
Carl La Fong
Have it rewound so it will play backwards then drop some acid. w00t.gif piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif But you didn't hear that from me.
rhodyguy
Did any 8 tracks come with the car? Storage for a bunch of them was like a small suitcase in the car.
DucRS
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 16 2019, 06:34 PM) *

Did any 8 tracks come with the car? Storage for a bunch of them was like a small suitcase in the car.

Unfortunately, none found. Sure gonna work on acquiring a few for kicks and giggles.
bbrock
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Sep 16 2019, 05:19 PM) *

Stick in a beach boy tape

And wedge it in with a matchbook. biggrin.gif I'd keep it for sure!
Dion
That’s a keeper! aktion035.gif You could always do a hidden audio with Bluetooth.
But keep that period correct accessory going!
Ha my first 8 track tape was Zeppelin’s The Song Remains the Same album .
Rock on!
burton73
QUOTE(DucRS @ Sep 16 2019, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 16 2019, 06:34 PM) *

Unfortunately, none found. Sure gonna work on acquiring a few for kicks and giggles.

Back in High School. 1969 or so, my my buddy was an electronic (nerd genius). He hopped up our 8 tracks by doubling the speed on the tape. He had a double speed recorder and made us great 8 tracks. He had a old record cutting lathe and cut his friends records.

Bob B
markhoward
definitely rock it aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Sep 16 2019, 04:30 PM) *

Have it rewound so it will play backwards then drop some acid. w00t.gif piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif But you didn't hear that from me.

Only you fly-boys know that Bill Lear (Learjet) also invented the 8 track car stereo... Mad Man Muntz pioneered the earlier 4 track. Y'all a bunch of hippies rolleyes.gif lol-2.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(johnhora @ Sep 16 2019, 07:36 PM) *

Wrong! barf.gif
DucRS
QUOTE(johnhora @ Sep 16 2019, 08:36 PM) *

Sounds interesting aktion035.gif
Send it my way beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
I'd say keep it but do the hidden Bluetooth audio thing.

I'm a huge fan of vintage audio and stereo equipment. I actually have a 90's vintage Blaupunkt Mini Disc player that is being saved for my 914. Remember Mini Discs? Of course you don't. They never caught on and were quickly replaced MP3 players. Much the same 8 tracks never survived by being pushed out by cheaper and more reliable cassette mechanisms.

A note of warning for 8 Tracks - They have rubber pinch rollers (inside the 8 track cartridge that get brittle as lead to slippage and player itself will have rubber drive belts. Belts often get brittle and break or sometimes the rubber turns to goo if it's already been slipping. The problems above are for home units, things will only be worse for automobile units.

If you intend to ever use as a 8 track - it will likely need service 1st to be usable after sitting for years in a hot car.

Parts are available (for both cartridges and players) and there is a cult of 8 track users - just like there is a cult of 914 owners. lol-2.gif Now your a member of two cults. av-943.gif

http://www.8trackheaven.com/archive/work.html

bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 17 2019, 05:06 AM) *

If you intend to ever use as a 8 track - it will likely need service 1st to be usable after sitting for years in a hot car.

Pshaw... rolleyes.gif All problems can be fixed by wedging the aforementioned matchbook under the cartridge (I can't believe I can't find a pic of that online) lol-2.gif Seriously though, a well-sorted 8-track with good quality tape produces much higher quality sound than the crappy cassettes that replaced them. The downside was needing that suitcase already mentioned to haul a couple dozen tapes around.

I remember clearly the day I finally parted with my 8-track collection. My new wife and I were moving from our studio apartment that was our college domicile into our first house, and conducting the requisite purge. I walked slowly to the dumpster with my big box of tapes like someone burying a pet. So much good music. So many memories. Of course I regret it.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
very nice original looking car!

quote name='DucRS' date='Sep 16 2019, 03:33 PM' post='2747673']
Not sure what to do. Replace it or Rock it ...LOL
Original owner says it was all the rage back then. Click to view attachment
[/quote]
Carl La Fong
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 16 2019, 08:55 PM) *

Only you fly-boys know that Bill Lear (Learjet) also invented the 8 track car stereo... Mad Man Muntz pioneered the earlier 4 track. Y'all a bunch of hippies rolleyes.gif lol-2.gif

Mad Man Muntz! I haven't heard that name discussed in a long time. 4 track was the first. Does anyone (besides Martin) remember the car players that you could slide an LP record in?
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Sep 17 2019, 12:09 PM) *

Mad Man Muntz! I haven't heard that name discussed in a long time. 4 track was the first. Does anyone (besides Martin) remember the car players that you could slide an LP record in?

Yup. Those in car record players Pre-date me but I’ve seen them at car shows. Way cool! Like tube radios! Very cool old skool mobile audio gear.
worn
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Sep 16 2019, 03:30 PM) *

Now I know why my UPS package looked like it had been flown upside down.
worn
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 17 2019, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Sep 17 2019, 12:09 PM) *

Yup. Those in car record players Pre-date me but I’ve seen them at car shows. Way cool! Like tube radios! Very cool old skool mobile audio gear.

Used to drive to high school in my parents 61 Ford Falcon. (What a great car with the straight six!). The tube set radio had to warm up. Wish my car radio in my current Ford was as fun.
IronHillRestorations
Blaupunkt baby!
DucRS
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Sep 18 2019, 11:41 AM) *

Blaupunkt baby!

Blaupunkt in 8 Track pray.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(DucRS @ Sep 18 2019, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Sep 18 2019, 11:41 AM) *

Blaupunkt baby!

Blaupunkt in 8 Track pray.gif

Its a 72k original miles car, and I suspect it was dealer installed. It was a one owner up until about 6 months before I got it 20 years ago
Unobtanium-inc
Found this in a car, also had an 8 track.
bretth
We used to have a Star Wars sound track 8 Track tape sitting in the basement of my parents house for years. My dad had an old Jeep Eagle with an 8 track. Sure it is long gone now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.