Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big hole
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JOEPROPER
Why is this hole so big?

Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
I assume someone repaired the firewall and forgot this..

Click to view attachment

chair.gif
JOEPROPER
I guess now that the engine is in, I'll need to sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif it into place. headbang.gif
dakotaewing
Nevermind-
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Sep 16 2019, 07:04 PM) *

Nevermind-

It's where the shift rod comes thru the firewall.
I just looked at RD panel and it may be a generic photo, but it doesn't show that part with the reinforcement and cup.
bbrock
That's a bummer. sad.gif I wouldn't think the bushing would fit right without that piece. Also, the outer lip is needed to hold the dust boot that is supposed to protect the shift coupler.
bdstone914
@JOEPROPER

I guess now that the engine is in, I'll need to sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif it into place. headbang.gif

Joe, Side shift trans?
I have a rear firewall section cut out of a car from which that can ba harvested.
Bruce
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 17 2019, 08:42 AM) *

@JOEPROPER

Joe, Side shift trans?
I have a rear firewall section cut out of a car from which that can ba harvested.
Bruce

Thank you Bruce, I have this section that I'm going to use. I'm just looking at it and trying to figure out how to deal with the heater cable tube.
This is not a big deal for some people here, but will require some planning for me to do it correctly.
bbrock
I've never looked at that piece closely, but would it be possible to separate the disc piece from the firewall patch? Is it spot welded on? I think it would be a lot easier to plug weld the disc onto you firewall than to try to cut and butt weld a patch. confused24.gif
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 17 2019, 09:31 AM) *

I've never looked at that piece closely, but would it be possible to separate the disc piece from the firewall patch? Is it spot welded on? I think it would be a lot easier to plug weld the disc onto you firewall than to try to cut and butt weld a patch. confused24.gif

I didn't think of that. The section behind the disc has a reinforced plate. I'm not sure if this is necessary, and if not, maybe i could just buy the Tangerine Racing firewall bearing setup and rivet it in. @chrisfoley
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Sep 17 2019, 08:41 AM) *

I didn't think of that. The section behind the disc has a reinforced plate. I'm not sure if this is necessary, and if not, maybe i could just buy the Tangerine Racing firewall bearing setup and rivet it in. @chrisfoley

The rivet holes are on a 1.875" circle so it should be easy to install it over the existing hole. While having the reinforcing piece in place is a nice idea I don't see it as necessary structurally when using my bearing assembly. The aluminum housing features a groove for the boot so not having that on the firewall is no problem either.
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Sep 17 2019, 10:11 AM) *

QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Sep 17 2019, 08:41 AM) *

The rivet holes are on a 1.875" circle so it should be easy to install it over the existing hole. While having the reinforcing piece in place is a nice idea I don't see it as necessary structurally when using my bearing assembly. The aluminum housing features a groove for the boot so not having that on the firewall is no problem either.

That's all I need to hear. I'll post results after I get the bearing assembly. Thanks!
76-914
Good move. Every review that I've read re: Tangerine's shift bushing, is stellar. Everyone says it makes the 914 shift like a modern car. So, as my Dad used to tell me, "You fell into a bucket of shit and came out smelling like a rose". beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.