Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Low oil pressure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ratrod87
Hello everyone , I've have been try to use the search engine to try to find some answers to my issue but I can't seem to come up with what I need to know. I apologise for asking so many questions and Im really greatful for everyone's help . So my son recently changed the oil in the car and we haven't really driven it much before that, when the engine is cold (2.0 bus engine with hydraulic can so I've been told by PO) it has really high oil pressure around 80 psi but as the engine warms up it continues to drop the hotter it gets. At idol when at operating temperature it is around 20psi or less and increases with Rpm. Napa said I needed 20-50 motor oil . I've never had a Porsche or vw before so I'm not sure if this is normal. Do I need different oil? Someone said get rid of the hydraulic lifters. Any suggestions or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jerry h
80’s old school
QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 16 2019, 04:45 PM) *

Hello everyone , I've have been try to use the search engine to try to find some answers to my issue but I can't seem to come up with what I need to know. I apologise for asking so many questions and Im really greatful for everyone's help . So my son recently changed the oil in the car and we haven't really driven it much before that, when the engine is cold (2.0 bus engine with hydraulic can so I've been told by PO) it has really high oil pressure around 80 psi but as the engine warms up it continues to drop the hotter it gets. At idol when at operating temperature it is around 20psi or less and increases with Rpm. Napa said I needed 20-50 motor oil . I've never had a Porsche or vw before so I'm not sure if this is normal. Do I need different oil? Someone said get rid of the hydraulic lifters. Any suggestions or knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jerry h

20 psi at idle is perfect. Use 20/50 Valvoline VR1. You should be able to get it at any Autozone or Oreilly’s.

BTW, what are you trying to show us with the picture of your gages?
Rand
QUOTE(80’s old school @ Sep 16 2019, 04:18 PM) *

BTW, what are you trying to show us with the picture of your gages?

His oil pressure gauge no doubt.

Use 20/50 oil, and make sure it contains zinc and phosphorus (ZDDP). Brad Penn is a favorite (make sure it's the green).
falcor75
20 psi at warm idle is fine, if it drops below 15 you may want to be more vigilant but it also depends on your idle rpm. Thicker oil will give you higher pressure but there is a tradeoff between oil pressure and oil flow. More pressure does not necessarily mean more flow at your lubrication points. Especially not when cold.
Rand
None of ours do ten wei8gt.
Do what your engine needs
porschetub
Good points made,but my understanding is hyd lifters draw a bit more oil pressure,I would tend to be concerned about that oil pressure gauge could not be accurate,best to short wire it to sender and see if it is still correct with what you now have.
I don't trust electric gauges much and best to check,have proved different results with testing.
If the same you win smilie_pokal.gif as you have great oil pressure.
Rand
Hydro lifters are an impediment. Do not trust short wiring to sender as a method to troubleshoot. If you have proven different results by testing electrics, then you should get professional help if you don't know what to do.
Ratrod87
Thanks every for the information, I didn't realize when I posted the picture that there was a bad glare from the flash on camera
VaccaRabite
The stock oil pressure idiot light turns on at somewhere between 2-4 psi pressure. Hot idle pressure is often 5-10 psi, especially as an engine gets tired. 20psi hot is fantastic.

Are you gauges hooked up? I can't see anything on your oil pressure gauge due to the glare. But your volt and oil temp meters are either unplugged or the car is off. Which means your oil pressure meter should also be reading 0.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.