Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could engine run only with the additional injector for cold start ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CheeRS
Hi, Today I started my 2.0GB engine after a failure in may.
The engine started fine once I turned the key.
very slow idle but no smoke, no smell, no strange noises.
After running a few minutes, the engine stopped and impossible to start again.
No fuel smell, I was alone in the garage so difficult to test ignition.

No time to wait if the engine will start again when cold, but I have a question :

Could engine start and run (without driving the car) only with the cold start injector ?

Thanks

Fred from Paris
GregAmy
Theoretically yes, but IIRC the cold start injector only works with the key in the Start position.
CheeRS
you mean when the starter is running and no more ?
Are you sure ?
GregAmy
That is my understanding: only when the starter is running.
CheeRS
But what about the thermo switch pluged to this injector, I think the additional injector and the additionnal air valve work a few minutes, time to the engine to be a little hot
GregAmy
The auxiliary air valve has a bimetallic spring. When engine is cold the valve is open, allowing air to idle up the engine. When you turn on the ignition the bimetallic gets 12V power, starts to heat up, and the air valve gradually closes, reducing the idle. That air valve bimetallic is constantly powered by 12V as long as the key is on.

The cold start valve is different: it is powered by the start circuit. The injector only opens and releases fuel when the key is in the start position. When you release the start and go to "on" there's no longer any power to it and the valve closes.

The thermo switch is on the ground circuit for the cold start injector. If the temperature is above a certain level - 40s Farenheit as I recall - then that circuit does not ground and the cold start valve is not actuated at all.
brant
Also....

I believe the cold start injector is only activated when it is really cold/freezing out
so depending on the temperature at your location.... It wasn't likely even running at all unless it was close to freezing temperatures where you are.
CheeRS
20 Celsius now in Paris, 68 F.
So let's cancel this track for the failure, why did the engine stopped and did not want to start again ?

would like to check the injectors wiring, I heard about colors for right and left ?
CheeRS
Was the coil out of order, there are two coils on the engine, the second for rescue installed when the car run the Monté Carlo historic race.
So now, everything seems to be in order with the engine but there is a PB with the clutch.
even with the cable at the maximum, the speed are no available like the falk way is to short.
I readed a pelican article speaking about a shim needed.
Monday I will take over the 901 one more time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.