I know this isnt the ultimate project creep, but i wanted to get rid of the oil marks on the garage foor from the 2056 that I built a few years back. So, out comes the motor. Looks like maybe the Melling oil pump wasnt the best idea. Leaks there. Well. I remember during the build that i was concerned that the case bolt nuts were simply reused. Maybe oil is getting past the cracked rubber on the case nuts. Wonder how the valves look. Off go the heads.
A minor leak from cylinder 1. Dont have a machinists straight edge. But Amazon does. Looks like the two jugs are a thousandth or three off from a flat plane at the top. So we split the case. After finding the hidden case nut.
Yep. Looks like when they cut the spigots they didn’t go deep enough. Still a half moon of untouched aluminum.
Did i mention i got a milling machine a few years back for my birthday.

3 thousandths of an inch later, everything is flat and coplanar. You ask perhaps why not more? Because i wanted to remove the least amount of metal to make the spigots flat. When i measure deck height i may be persuaded to cut the other side the same. I doubt they make a 3 thousandth shim. May look at rod length more carefully too to balance things out. The motor showed little wear after about 5-10k miles after build. New bearings are going in anyway, but the AA pistons and cylinders will just go back in.

Pictures may follow. Did i mention that i need a new floor, and Restoration Designs already provided the pressings. Have the Triple Gauge. Seems like somehow the car isn’t finished. I sure hope I fix that leak.