Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission leak - ideas short of pulling the nose cone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning.

I have a transmission leak that appears to be coming from the area I circled in red (not my car, best picture I could find to show the leak area). It is dripping enough that it needs to be addressed.

Nose cone in snug and I used a new gasket when I put it back on after changing out the first gear cluster.

Any clever ideas to pass along? Thanks!

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Are you sure it is not coming from speedometer gear?
Tdskip
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 18 2019, 08:28 AM) *

Are you sure it is not coming from speedometer gear?

Good morning, thanks for the response. That was my initial thought too since it is a known leak spot, but when I checked again yesterday that area was dry. I can double check later today.
johnhora
I'm with Mark...the speedo head is usually the culprit..
it's so small of a leak that it seems to have it's on mind and travel around the trans and "pool" someplace away from the speedo.
Tdskip
Thanks for the response.

I don’t suppose it would hurt anything to change the seals there, shouldn’t take long.

I want to get the rear of the car up in the air on an angle to avoid flooding myself with transmission oil, correct?
johnhora
Well...if you really really want to do in the car...if at the track or on the road ok...
At least I would go for drain the trans oil...

Do you have a lift??

But really you're dealing with the trans mount ears so got to support the trans/engine if removing the rear cone.
It's best to just drop the whole package trans/engine
Bet you need to do other things as well...
It's SO much easier to work on things when you don't have to stand on your head. biggrin.gif

What's that angle iron up in there for...just above the drive shaft?
Tdskip
QUOTE(johnhora @ Sep 18 2019, 11:14 AM) *

Well...if you really really want to do in the car...if at the track or on the road ok...
At least I would go for drain the trans oil...

Do you have a lift??

But really you're dealing with the trans mount ears so got to support the trans/engine if removing the rear cone.
It's best to just drop the whole package trans/engine
Bet you need to do other things as well...
It's SO much easier to work on things when you don't have to stand on your head. biggrin.gif

What's that angle iron up in there for...just above the drive shaft?

@johnhora - This is not actually my car, I just listed it image off of Google because it was the best one I could find of the area that’s wet. Good eyes however-I believe the car that I lifted the picture from had been converted to an EV.
johnhora
Thanks...I thought maybe a rack for a cooler or something... biggrin.gif

914Rubber makes some nice gaskets for the sppedo...I've just found that usually those pesky drips and runs around the tail are from the speedo unit...
it just ends up that it never looks like it since that thing is sitting out there in the swirling air sprinkling oil and it gets picked up everywhere on the tail cone and the speedo unit looks dry.

If it's a 6 or tail shift trans with the little bottom rectangular plate...it always makes that seem like the problem...you can over tork those 4 nuts/studs and bend the little metal closure...it's pretty thin and usually not the problem

try the speedo O rings gaskets first...then if not that...tackle the rear trans seal

good luck on the fix...
Tdskip
Thanks John!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.